1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic The "Discuss Anything Else" Thread

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Toby

Toby GC's Life Coach

We know, you are now blaming freely anyone not following lockdown.

Are you going to criticise the Government's actions so far or are you just going to shift tue blame?

2. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Yes but why have they all descended on the beach ?
    after all there have been plenty of other sunny days this summer.
    The point is that Johnson in the last daily press briefing said to “go out and enjoy yourselves”.
    So hardly a great surprise that they have done so.

no different to when you took yourself off to Cheltenham races in March.
    That was nothing to do with common sense, that was you following government advice.
    If they had cancelled the meeting you wouldn’t have gone.

cases are now starting to rise again all over Europe.
    I’m sticking to wearing a face mask and not travelling more than 5 miles still.

3. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

You do know if ventured out of your bubble you wouldn't see the apocalypse outside? The world looks pretty normal, its not all like its reported on the news. I'm still under 10 for the number of people i've seen wearing a face mask

SaveTheHumans likes this.
  4. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

We've just discovered about another 20 cases in Victoria in the last 2 days and already there's a rush on toilet paper. The major supermarkets have started rationing. <laugh>

5. smokethedeadbadger

Its unbelievable isn't it. People are idiots

LG and Cyclonic like this.
  6. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

A hat trick of failures: How ‘the Blob’ led the British Government down the wrong path

No doubt Steveo will already have read all 74 pages of this report from think tank Civitas and have concluded that Boris is to blame. He will undoubtedly be along shortly.

Those of us that have only read the Summary found that on the eleventh page they have reached the same conclusions that some of us reached months ago about ‘following the science’ that is not science:

“In particular, this paper looks at what is called ‘The Blob’ – a scientific clique entrenched within a managerialist Whitehall culture which the politicians chose not to confront or question.

It appears that the UK government’s early shift from the public information health campaign towards lockdown was the result of a lack of political will to question ‘the science’. Ministers repeatedly stressed their deference to the advice coming from the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), the New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (NERVTAG), the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Group on Modelling (SPI-M) and Public Health England (PHE).

These advisory groups to the government appear to have been granted ‘a representational monopoly.’ This explains how one crucial modelling projection study persuaded the government to overhaul its approach to Covid-19 and then impose tougher lockdown measures to contain the virus.

The deference to ‘the science’ was not justified. ‘The science’ made frequent mistakes. Worse, it led to inappropriate government responses to the pandemic.

It also seems that political journalists are finally prepared to speak evil of the Holy Grail, the NHS:

Coronavirus: 25,000 people discharged from hospitals to care homes before government started routine testing

No surprise that Labour blame underfunding for the reckless disregard for their own procedures by the NHS management, but that does not disguise the fact that the UK death toll is at least a third higher than it would have been had they not filled care homes with infected new patients.

7. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

Hardman Starmer sacks Hard Left Pin-Up Girl

If the Party conference really happens, the lunatics are really going to be fuming at their knight in tarnished armour. He dumped one of the Golden Girls for agreeing with an anti-Semitic statement by a leftie luvvie. The other one has still got the deputy job, the perfect place for knifing the leader in the back, as Gordon Brown will attest.

8. QuarterMoonII

QuarterMoonII Economist

He is a WUM making pointless comments so I treat him accordingly. I would avoid the loser in real life. There are a handful of his type living in Bangor that get to vote for their kind but that is the free world democracy that they despise.

9. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

But the Gov has not told them to not buy toilet roll so they are doing it. You cant have people using common sense can you? Everything must be on Gov advice.

10. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

Someone else now mentioning Cheltenham...jeez talk about flogging a dead horse..

Of course it's different we were in the very early stages of coronavirus then and there weren't 40000 plus deaths and we weren't asked to be 2 metres apart!. The advice was it was ok to go to these sporting events.

The scenes on Bournemouth beach are hidious let's be honest. What precautions are they taking? The government have not said it's ok to visit packed beaches and forget about social distancing. Of course it is different. The advice is to go out but keep your social distancing.

11. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

20<laugh>

Here in the U.K. we get about 20 new cases every 10 minutes!

12. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

but it’s that attitude which has led to the U.K. having the biggest death toll in Europe and a collapsing economy.

there are far too many selfish, think they know better types in this country!

13. smokethedeadbadger

It's nothing to do with having the wrong attitude for me. I've not been locked down at all, my kids have still been going to childcare. I've been at work all this time and all I'm saying is that from my experience in this part of the country the world isn't like what you see on the news. If you want to stick to your 5 mile radius and wear a face mask then I would never criticise that nor would I criticise anyone who said they didn't feel safe. I was just giving a view based on my experience.

14. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

but the point is that the advice was wrong!
    Most other countries could see it - blimey even myself on here with no scientific knowledge could see it!
    And it shouldn’t just have been Cheltenham - had the country locked down earlier then our economy might be getting going a bit better by now!

15. Steveo

Steveo Well-Known Member

Deaths are rising again in England. 183 today

Scotland - Zero deaths

but of course they have a proper leader

16. smokethedeadbadger

Definitely comparable. 5million vs 55million.

Agree about the leader though. I'm not a big fan of hers but put the buffoon that is Boris up against any leader and he'll come off worst. And I do include Trump in that.

SwanHills and stick like this.
  17. CaptainPops

CaptainPops Well-Known Member

To be fair to Steveo he is living in a city with 7 million people in equivalent to the whole of Scotland. Just think of that..a city so packed it equals Scotland and beats New Zealand which equals the whole of the U.K.

When you think about it..it's not good living in London in these times.. Brixton I see was in the news this week. I remember putting something up about that area of London on the forum and was told it had now changed somewhat and is a respectable neighbourhood. You gotta laugh!:emoticon-0105-wink:

18. Cyclonic

Another of those amazing TED lectures. The experiment at the 10 minute mark was brilliant.

19. Cyclonic

The US is reeling. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have released news that since Friday, 44,602 new virus positives have been detected, taking the countries total number of Covid19 related cases to 2,459,427. Deaths number 124,976.

20. rudebwoy

rudebwoy Well-Known Member

seems anarchic the lack of coordination in usa to deal with a virus , any coincidence that the most affected countries have the populist right wing govts , USA , UK and Brazil ? no doubt some idiot will pop up and say it’s better to die in freedom than be alive in a state that cares for its people over money

Cyclonic and Steveo like this.