1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Apr 11, 2016.

1. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

What else could they do to them anyway? They've been deported once already.

garysfc and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  2. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Bairstow made his 100; England all out for 307.

3. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Broad is back on form. 3 early wickets and New Zealand are 18-4.

4. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

I agree with your previous comments about being careful, as who knows what may emerge about other possible attempts to bend the rules.
    BUT having listened to Smith and Warner's blubbing interviews, and the developing 'poor them' dialog has really peed me off.

Warner especially is a deeply unpleasant person with (imho) racist views who has constantly crowed about Limey Pansies without the character to compete against Australia. Seems he's just a cheating bully, all bullys are cowards.

Both interviews are about them, how much they feel, how they suffer. Pathetic.

5. fran-MLs little camera

Warner apologised to South Africa....said that isn't how guests should behave....only one to do so (as far as I know).

I think that Australia have probably had an atmosphere that considered everything to be allowable....bit by bit they stretched the envelope until they saw the use of sandpaper as clever and cunning rather than cheating. England players remarked after the recent tour that Aussie bowlers seemed to get spin from a ball when good England players couldn't...they came up short of accusing them directly but the implication was there. And the daft thing is that Australia are a very good team....not also rans trying to gain an advantage.

Initially Smith seemed to treat this as a case of 'we've been caught, but let's apologise and move on.' The furore, especially from fellow Australians, probably took him by surprise and brought the truth home to him. They will be an example to anyone else thinking of similar actions.

6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Warner’s press conference was a carefully-scripted, meaningless piece of theatre that gave no new insight into what actually happened. He refused to answer any questions about the two main issues still outstanding, namely whether anyone other than himself, Smith, and Bancroft were involved; and whether this kind of thing had happened before. Personally I feel that it’s only a matter of time before the bowlers involved either come forward themselves or get dobbed in by someone else.

There is an interesting discussion on the TMS Podcast here:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p062wj11

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Number 1 Jasper and greensaint like this.
  7. fran-MLs little camera

I doubt very much that they went from doing nothing to using sandpaper. One player remarked that Australian bowlers seemed to have a lot of sticking plaster on their fingers.....I suspect they were up to something and having got away with it they took a further step. I dread to think what they'd have used next if not caught....a cheese grater perhaps.

Even if not involved the other players must have had some awareness, but probably found it hard to challenge their captain and vice captain. That's what happens with a couple of rotten apples.

8. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sounds like Steyn will link up with us in June. Possibly just to help his fitness levels and play a bit of second team cricket, possibly to take over from Amla as our overseas player following the conclusion of the one-day competition in early June (before they both go away in July for the test series against SL).

And then once the test series is done, depending on how his body is, he might return to be our overseas player for September.

9. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Whilst in the least surprising news of the decade, it is Surrey who have won the race for Morkel.

10. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I think , all things considered my Heart genuinely pumps pi$$ for them .

11. fran-MLs little camera

NZ are set a target of 382 after England declare. Currently 42-0.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Cheese Grater <laugh>

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Well done to NZ on their series win but it begs the question, why only two tests as I believe it does a disservice to the talents of both test teams. I feel it should have been a longer series, at least 3, maybe 4 tests but such is the ridiculous scheduling with the plethora of one-day series, I suppose the tests had to take second place.

14. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

15. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Nothing particularly revealing.

I know it's the big cricket story, but spending 45% of the forum discussing the ball tampering was a bit extreme. It was a Hampshire cricket forum.

16. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

Ah, I've just started listening, yeah that's a bit stupid, haven't Hants got any news?, maybe i'll just skip the first half.

17. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Might be a few extra bums on seats, including in the media box, for Surrey's four day visit here in June.

Looks like we've got Abbott & Steyn vs Morkel and Kohli.

18. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Final friendly ahead of the new season with a slightly delayed start, due to begin 10 mins. No Vince or Amla, due to recent international matches. So Abbott takes the captaincy, and my guess is that it's Weatherley and Ervine who are the two currently pencilled in to make way next week.

19. st_brendy

Forum Moderator

Slug's unbeaten knock in the Uni match hasn't been sufficient to keep him in the side. In fact, he's not even in the squad. Somewhat strangely (in my view), Weatherley is the extra batter named in the 13 man squad.

With Crane and Holland injured, Wood is also named. Must be the first time in quite a long time. If the lad could stay fit, he could yet prove very useful to us. With Topley also injury-prone, we've lacked any left-arm option since Tommo. And of course Wood can bat too (Wood, Abbott, Berg is some tail!). But sadly, he just hasn't been able to get through four days in recent years. So I'll believe it only if I ever see it.

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Pleasantly surprised to see no rain in the forecast. However I still expect to see "no toss, elected to field" on every scorecard tomorrow!