1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Cricket Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by TheSecondStain, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

365-3 at tea , a lead of 19.

2. Number 1 Jasper

Don’t even bother looking <laugh><doh>:emoticon-0101-sadsm

3. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning. Let's just forget this all happened. :)

What? What happened? Nothing.

See, it's easy. :)

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  4. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

5. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

He didn't get the rub of the green, but did get one important wicket. Has much to learn but has to be there to do it.

Paddy Podped likes this.
  6. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Don't really agree with that. I watched the first session and he bowled pretty well. I don't know if I'd say he was unlucky exactly but if a bit of luck had gone his way he could have had 2 or 3 more wickets. The fact he's bowled more overs in the innings than anyone else suggests he's doing something right.

7. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

He's a Leg Spinner, they always bowl more overs than quicks when things aren't going well, their job is to hold up an end to give the fast bowlers a rest.

Even Shane Warne was older (2 years) than Mason when he first played for the Aussies, he didn't succeed straight away either, it can take years to develop a really great leggy.

His overall 1st class average is 43.98, in CC it was 44.69 last Summer, which is pretty ordinary by any standard, if he was an off break bowler he probably wouldn't be picked for his county let alone England.

8. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Spinners don't always bowl more overs when it's going badly. Look at Simon Kerrigan who bowled 8 overs while the Aussies racked up almost 500. And a leg spinner's role is most definitely not to keep it tight. If you want a spinner to keep it tight then an finger spinner is much more likely to do that than a leg spinner. Leg spin is incredibly difficult to bowl and (Warne aside) leg spinners are always prone to leaking runs. Crane's actually been surprisingly tight, if there's a criticism of his performance it's that he didn't get enough wickets but you have to factor in that he bowled a lot at left handers, who generally find leg spin easier to play than right handers do, and the freak that is Steve Smith.

You are right that if he was an off spinner he probably wouldn't be picked. He's not though and once he's in the side his first class record (which won't be helped by the fact most first class cricket in England is played in April, May and September when conditions are likely to favour seamers) and his age are irrelevant - the way to judge whether he's ready or not is to look at his performance in the game, which was at least adequate. Has he exploded onto the scene and made himself a fixture in the Test side instantly? No, but he's shown some talent and some character. Might Jack Leach have performed better? Possibly, we'll never know, but Crane has done fine and certainly didn't look out of place.

9. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm already prepared for the stick that will come our way in a few months, if/when we (Hants) leave Crane out. Just like we got last season too.

He played nearly all, if not all, of our matches from June onwards last year (when he was available). It's not our fault so many CC matches had already been scheduled.

It's not like we're actively trying to damage's either the lad's career, or England's prospects. It's just that English conditions don't demand an out-and-out spinner in the early months - especially away from home, when you know you can bowl first should you so wish.

At least Nasser and Atherton pointed the figure in the ECB's direction, rather than ours.

(I'm not having a go at the ECB here by the way. I actually don't have a massive issue at the scheduling. I'm having a go at those who criticise us for leaving Crane out.)

10. pompeymeowth

Staff Member

Let's hope he does succeed and I'm wrong. But on evidence so far I'm not impressed and he probably won't get a 2nd innings chance, England look doomed, so it's scheiße or bust for him tomorrow.

11. Number 1 Jasper

Can I just say before we give them stick , today they were playing in the hottest ever temperatures for a test match in Australia .

41.8c

12. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Squad for the tour to NZ is announced later today, I believe. I presume Vince won't get selected, and it'll be interesting if Stoneman (and Balance) gets left out too. Stoneman's average this series has actually dropped below Vince's now.

13. Number 1 Jasper

Sorry . It was 57.5c !

14. fran-MLs little camera

Joe Root has been taken to hospital with dehydration after a bout of vomiting and diarrhoea.

15. OddRiverOakWizards

OddRiverOakWizards Well-Known Member

I was thinking last night what a disgrace it was to continue playing, In the modern era they can be more adaptable and should have stopped play even for short breaks or otherwise someone will die. Like the Qatar World Cup sport has to be pragmatic.

16. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Reminds me a little of Dean Jones in India in 1986. Don't think you'd get away with saying what Allan Border did these days.

pompeymeowth and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  17. Number 1 Jasper

I agree , like I posted later , it was 57c out in the middle !

18. fran-MLs little camera

Have to praise Root for coming out of hospital and trying to finish his innings before having to capitulate to his failing body.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Personally think it was stupid and reckless. If the game and series was on the line then I could understand. But putting yourself at risk when the games gone? Stupidity.

20. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I’d question the management too for allowing it.

tomw24 likes this.