1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The cost of, say, 8 replacements

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by 56Danny, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 56Danny

56Danny Member

Using my trusty back of a fag packet . .

And assuming that 6 players will not be available for the start of the season (Frazier, Turner, Meyler, Bramble, Catts, Gordon) and Hendo gone - let's say 8 brought in.

Transfers at an average of £3m x 8 = £24m
    Wages at an average of £20k/wk = £8.5m approx for 2011/2012

Say a total bill added to the books in 2011/2012 of £33 mill.

I can see why selling Hendo makes sense purely from a financial point of view.

2. Chappaz

Chappaz Active Member

How the hell can you pluck numbers COMPLETELY out of thin air to make a calculation? There's no such thing as an 'average' transfer or 'average' wage. Each players cost can vary a tremendous amount (with Sunderland's spending ability, it could be anything from £1mill to £12mill+ per player), so it's pointless trying to figure out.

And for the record, I think you mackem's can expect Brucey to make a lot more loan signings like he did last year to pad the squad out. I think it's an awful managerial decision to bring in that many loanees, but he seems to favour that model. What a strange bloke.

3. Commachio

Commachio Rambo 2021

hope we don't don't get 8 players averaging 3m.

some freebies and some flippin top class players to soften the blow of losing some of ours.

4. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

I don't think bringing 8 players in one season can work, but in our cercumstances i believe we have too, 3 strikers( D J Cambell for cover is one )3 midfielders, and 2 tall defenders.

5. Topcat

Topcat Member

I think we will have no choice but to bring in some loan's. If I'm honest I ain't totally against it, would rather the loan's come as squad padding this time though, not as starter's.

6. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

**** the loans thats the ****ing reason we are in the **** we are in now and having to totally rebuild a side. Its my biggest objection to what bruce has done in his time here

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Thing is Mitch - the loan signings were all with a view to a permanent deal (except Welbeck) - basically a "try before you buy" which isn't a bad idea really and hasn't done us too badly as Onouha, Elmohammady, Welbeck all did well - Muntari :emoticon-0184-tmi: was a nightmare but the other 3 did well I thought

8. 56Danny

56Danny Member

Anyway, the figures in the op were just an example of "what if". Of course we have not got a clue what will happen. But just goes to illustrate what may be store for the club's money men.
    We know too from Steve Walton that loan deals are expensive although I have never seen any figures being mentioned other than I think £1m for Elmo, which may have come off the final price tag.
    Loan deals seem to be swings and roundabouts - win some (Muntari) and lose some (Welbeck). Wish we had loan deals in place for the deadwood but we are stuck with trying to offload them.

It's going to be a very, very long summer. That's for sure, if the first week of June is anything to go by.

9. mitchthemakem

mitchthemakem Well-Known Member

I disagree unless the deal is agreed before the sale. Wellbeck played well up goes his price he plays poorly and then we don't want him. Onouha did ok but overpriced Elmo i did'nt particularly want although for the price its ok.