1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The club would be stupid not to give Rafa funds

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Darth Tash, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Darth Tash

Darth Tash Well-Known Member

Look... just look at what Rafa could potentially achieve here.

He's taken a championship looking team full of pricks with poor attitude or low confidence and turned them into hard working players and have them beating actually good teams!

Shelvey and Diame... if you'd have said that was going to be our first choice CM pair this season, I'd have said that would get slaughtered, but under the right management they have both turned themselves right around.

Diame - WE ACTUALLY HAVE A DECENT CDM WHO DOESN'T GET BOOKED ALL THE TIME! When was the last time we had that? He can actually win the ball back and doesn't get caught on the ball too often, and scores the the odd goal!!! A guy who looks crap In the championship is tearing apart premier league teams!

Shelvey - I had just about given up on him, but he looks like he could be at least on the England bench this world cup. I can't think of many English midfielders at the moment that can pass a long range ball as well as him. Is there anyone?

Lascelles - How long have we been searching for a leader at the back?

This could be the foundation of a great team under a great manager. Who knows what we can achieve?

Ashley will be looking for a buyer, and if wants more than £300mil he's going to have to invest. Period. Otherwise Rafa will leave and we will get relegated.

2. Hung Drawn and Quartered

Hung Drawn and Quartered Well-Known Member

"Otherwise Rafa will leave and we will get relegated"

you forgot to mention "we will sell all our best players"

they've done an awful lot of stupid things in my time
    so I wouldn't bet on it

3. G4rdToonArmy

G4rdToonArmy Well-Known Member

As much as I'd agree with this I genuinely think Cashley only has 2 options this summer.
    1 - Sell up and get out
    2 - Stick in and "give Rafa every penny generated"

Rafa isn't stupid and will know exactly what the budget (if Ashley stays) should look like and its being quite smart and coy by refusing to even enter in to a contract renewal discussions at present (I assume this is to make sure there are certain guarantees included).

If Ashley stays and Rafa goes I don't think its what league we will be playing in the following season that will be of worry to Ashley - if Rafa goes Ashley's a dead man walking effectively.

4. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

This team could look like European hopefuls if we could upgrade two strikers, Atsu (and cover when Kennedy does leave), Clarke (but probs Mbemba), 1 RB, 1 LB and a CAM.

Will we honestly get 8 decent signings over two seasons without selling any of the core players?
    Nothing suggests it under the current regime.

5. RobEllious

RobEllious Well-Known Member

The knock-on effect his departure will have on the players and fans is going to be catastrophic, particularly if it's in the summer. The players will **** off realising this club is still a walking joke, the fans would be deflated realising their best chance at being sold is gone and Lascelles is out the door for 40m, which isn't reinvested by window's end. Before we know it, we've got the same sorta team limping to relegation that we did last time because the disinterest from fans and players alike is palpable

I'd feel sorry for the guy taking his place, but would no doubt be on here calling him the puppet of Ashley, who'll be making sure the next manager tows the line.

I haven't actually thought about it because I've been so elated with recent form, but it could all just be the same familiar feeling for fans come September.

Ah well, got a few more games and whole world cup before all that ****<cheers>

G4rdToonArmy likes this.
  6. Delusional Full Stop

Delusional Full Stop Here to serve all your counselling needs.
    Forum Moderator

Would suggest that the heading refers to Ashley and not the Club.

We can only hope that any sale goes through quickly as we have the World Cup and a shortened window to contend with.

Ashley I can foresee will not spend if there is a buyer in the wings. Ashley will also not give Rafa all the money generated despite assurances in blood from Pouchy and will again try to do it on the cheap. This assumes there is no buyer in the wings.

7. Consett Mag

Consett Mag Well-Known Member

I've come to the conclusion that Rafa will probably stay, as he likes life here too much to up sticks. Arsenal or Everton fans would be turning on him if he draws two games, never mind lose to anybody.

If he loses players from big bids by the likes of Bournemouth or Wolves (who I think will spend big), then who knows? But Ashley's previous spending promises are worthless imo.

8. Tel (they/them)

Tel (they/them) Sucky’s Bailiff

9. Judge Death

Judge Death Well-Known Member

Just started???

10. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

I don't see a problem. Rafa gets everything the club generates currently looking at it realistically. He has been very well financed as Newcastle manager. Indeed since McClaren the club has made significant funds available.

Rafa signed up to this. He knows the score. He knows there is no money coming from Ashley personally, he knows we are not going to spend money in advance of receiving it. He also knows that the equations are not simple in terms of what is available. Rafa isn't stupid, he won't do what some fans do and say "well I should have a 120m to spend". He will look around the PL and realise very few clubs are spending that kind of money. If he can generate around 40m from sales I would think he would have around 70m-80m to spend. That seems to be about right although some of the clubs doing that are probably spending beyond their means. He may have to transfer some of that money to increase the wage budget to make things happen. We haven't suddenly got rich and Benitez knows this.

More than any of that I hope our fanbase can not turn into a bunch of whining tarts around the transfer window for once. I'm bored of the whole toys out of the pram scenario when they realise there isn't a bottomless pit, or convince themselves there is and Ashley is having the money away somewhere. The accounts never back up their stupidity.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018

11. Joelinton's Right Foot

Joelinton's Right Foot Worth Every Penny
    Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

12. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

And your figures are based on......?

I assume that they aren't just pure speculation on your part but if you could just clarify I would be grateful.

:)

13. Warmir Pouchov

Hence I used the word think. I've based it on what other clubs have spent, both net and pure spend. I've probably exaggerated our position for comical value as the delusions of grandeur amongst our fanbase entertain me massively. If I say 40m they say 80m, if I say 80m, they say 120m.

https://talksport.com/football/tran...ub-both-summer-and-winter-201718-windows?p=13
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/newcastle-united/transfers/verein/762

All these websites seem to produce slightly different figures. However it is quite useful to look at these various websites to get a ball park idea of what PL clubs have available to them on an annual basis. Sadly for our fans its makes fairly sobering reading. Nevermind they can just neck another broon ale and get all canty ranty.

14. TheJudeanPeoplesFront

TheJudeanPeoplesFront Well-Known Member

Nah, genuinely, we will not be getting more than £30 million. Every year we have the same threads filled with hope and optimism, and then 3 months later we're close to mass suicide. On an unrelated note, reckon I've solved why Whales beach in such quantities at a time... They are Newcastle fans and read Not606!

15. General Lee Speaking

General Lee Speaking Well-Known Member

Last summer I said we didn't have much money and ultimately we didn't spend a great deal (net) because the owner wouldn't allow the club to spend this season's guaranteed income ahead of receiving it and wouldn't put any of his own money in. This summer we are in vastly different financial position. If Ashley keeps his word then there will be plenty for Rafa to spend. Problem is Ashley flits from one strategy to another on a whim and could easily hold money back. He's certainly tried to keep the club lean and fatten the goose for market in the last year or two so he may be reluctant to splash out. Time will tell. Put it this way, we certainly arent in a position where we have to shop around for £5m strikers this year.

16. Delusional Full Stop

Forum Moderator

Ashley is in sale mode which means he doesn’t intend to spend at all even the money from Sky for this season never mind next season’s money.

We need to hope he sells quickly and that any buyers don’t wait too much longer before restarting the process again.

General Lee Speaking likes this.
  17. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

So how much do you think will be made available then?

18. Warmir Pouchov

Everything the club can afford. As always.

19. haslam

haslam Well-Known Member

Nah I reckon it'll be everything the club can afford + £40m.

You're such a ****ing pessimist.

20. Warmir Pouchov

Just a lover of reality and facts mate