1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Championship Goodbye Post (Craig Brown era)

Discussion in 'Preston' started by themaclad, May 4, 2011.

1. themaclad

themaclad Well-Known Member

Hard to sum up the tenure of Mr Brown, personally thought some of the football played left absolutely no imprint on my memory apart from the 5-3 win against Burnley when the man from Jamaican ran the boys from the Turf ragged scoring a fantastic hat trick and made David May look like a tit when scoring one of his goals.
    In the Carling Cup we got to lose at Villa Park by 5 and the FA Cup saw us lose to our next but one manager's side Rochdale In that game Rob Kozluk played his one and only game also Brian O'Neill made his debut.
    He tried to play international type football with Championship players sadly it didn't work.
    On the plus side he had a good eye for decent players Fuller and Lewis however he did also sign Andy Smith, who could fail to forget the man witha dead skunk on his head debut.
    Came on as a sub, was alleged to be a forward but went to left back and promptly gave away a penalty against Watford luckily Lonners saved it.
    We finished nearer the bottom than the top and his 2nd season didn't last long, an early defeat at home to Crystal Palace (Skora being sent off) by the time we lost at Brighton the writing was on the wall for Brown and he was replaced by william McIntosh Davies.

2. theflyingplumber

Another interesting and informative collection of memories, well done Maclad..<ok>

I think you hit the nail on the head when you refer to Craig Brown's ability to spot a player (with the odd exception), but was lacking in getting the best out of them. His reputation enabled him to attract the players he wanted and Billy Davies made the most of Craig Browns squad when he got his hands on them.
    Amiable and like-able was Brown but could not deliver what was needed to motivate the players he had brought in, shame really but there t is. Brown's loss was a Billy Davies gain.

3. lilywhite forever

Evening guys <ok>

To be honest, I quite liked Craig Brown and as TFP stated above, he did bring some quality players in...most notably Ricardo Fuller. I know the football we saw in Browns sides didn't quite match up to the Moyes era, but Brown had a big act to follow and I think we were a side in transition following the break up of the side once Moyes went to Everton. I must admit I was disappointed when he was sacked and agreed with Billy Davies when he said that Craig would have got the side up there challenging. Many will disagree but that's just my opinion. Better and worse managers have been at the helm before him and after him! :emoticon-0117-talki