1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Jan 15, 2018.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

What a dismal performance on Saturday!!!

It is fair to blame O'Kane - We were clearly the better team up to that point?

5 red cards so far - do the ref's have it in for us, or is there a big underlining problem with our discipline?

How is it that teams like Ipswich are able to pick up players like Celina?

What a player like that could do to our squad doesn't bear thinking about!

The odds have been slashed on Leeds United signing Leicester City striker Leonardo Ulloa this month, according to bookmakers.

SkyBet have slashed the Yorkshire giants snapping up Ulloa, 31, before the transfer window shuts at the start of February.

Leeds are second in the betting race at 10/1 on Monday morning, behind only Championship rivals Aston Villa (5/2), while Sunderland (12/1) are also firmly in the running to land the Premier League winner.

Would you want Ulloa?

2. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

3. lifecheshirewhite

I see big Cyrille Regis has died aged 59,RIP Cyril a great player who I hated us playing against.

Morning all.

4. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

At least the ref wasn't quite as bad as the one at the PSG game !!

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 5.28.19 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-15 at 6.19.25 pm.png

FORZA LEEDS and bucks_is_leeds like this.
  5. Brendan Sheerin

Brendan Sheerin Well-Known Member

I'm not going to try and justify the dismal performances. Instead im going to take a back seat until the end of the season. If we cannot beat the likes of ipswich then there is no hope as far as i am concerned.

6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all...

Reading the comments of Marcus and LCW it sounds like we played okay even with 10 men, an unfortunate period where injuries and cards/discipline are taking their toll.

I’m more concerned now with the striker situation. Ekuban seems injury prone, Grot is at least 2 seasons away and then he might still never be ready, Lasogga has been a waste of time and although I wanted Roofe to be my next hero in a white shirt it’s time to admit it isn’t going to happen.

We were surely looking at strikers before Jan 1st? It’s obvious we had a LB lined up so why the dragging of the feet. We need a decent striker, is he out there for the right price?

7. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good Morning to Matt and co from a dull Bardsey

OKane is indefensible what he did and deserved a red card
    We need some quality signings this week if we are to even get into top
    6 Ulloa at 31 is far to old for us as he would have very little sell on value and that's the rule we work on
    Noel Whelan who I have a lot of time for suggested Hughill and he thinks by the end of the season he will be worth much more Hughill is 25
    I believe and Matt will no doubt say I am right or wrong but Hughill asked for a transfer last window .He has only got six months left on his contract so this certainly would appeal to Orta as his value will be much less than the 10m they are wanting £3m will probably get him which would make him a good buy better than Jack Marriot for me
    It also strikes me that we need another midfield player as we are down to Sacko that means we are scraping the barrel

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    ellandback likes this.
  8. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Morning all. Dont think our squad situation is what most would have predicted back in August. Stll, two weeks for our messiah to put things right and maybe give the fans something to shout about. With one goal in four games, all against poor opposition, the need for a quality striker is dire at this point

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    ellandback likes this.
  9. milkyboy

milkyboy Well-Known Member

Think Hugill extended contract until 2019 mike. He did want out last summer though, can’t remember if he put in a request but it was public knowledge. It does seem they are holding out for big money for a guy who isn’t prolific... but a lot of teams have shown interest in him.

10. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I can’t understand the fuss around Hugill 25 years old, 33 goals in 133 games at lower level football.

BillysStatue likes this.

11. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Hugills stats are pretty poor if you look at the minutes on the pitch, minutes per goal plus his dire shots on target %. They keep talking about £12m but would accept £10m which is a huge joke. If we are not going to get a new proven goalscorer until the Summer. Then we need throw the likes of Clarke in at the deep end. The kid is highly thought of and we will never know his potential until he gets a chance, lets face it he cannot be worse than Grot. There are still stories doing the rounds about the likes of Marriot and a few overseas strikers, but lets hope

12. leeds60

The site I have just looked at says he signed until June 2018 so we Aare still no wiser Incidentally PNE signed striker last week whichj I found interesting

13. leeds60

So why did Whelan go on about him after the game

14. lifecheshirewhite

If Clarkes not good enough for the under 23 team,then why would we put him in the first team.

15. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning everyone I want us to spend a big chunk on a quality striker.Ulloa would've an extra for me .
    Kevin Phillips was playing near his forties at a good level.

If we don't spend in this window then its season over for me and top ten at best.

The club has had time to reflect on the poor squad and planning should be underway.

bucks_is_leeds and southernwhite like this.
  16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Clarke trains with the first team, also almost got on the bench the last time Ekuban got injured and TC said he thought about playing him. He traveled to Newport and was on the bench so TC has him earmarked and even kept him out of last weeks U23 game I can only assume in case Grot got injured in training? So dont assume hes not good enough for U23s
    Whelan was never prolific and I dont know why he fancies Hugill but not for me and his stats prove that. He is a lump who puts himself around yes, but this is his best season and has 8 goals but only 1 assist so even though he puts himself about he doesnt bring anyone else in for bits and pieces as he takes a shot instead. Thats why his shooting accuracy is the worst in the league for a striker

17. TC (Lovely Geezer)

TC (Lovely Geezer) Well-Known Member

Ron Atkinson's West Brom team of the 80s were one of my favourites to watch with big Cyril being the main man with the likes of
    Remi Moses, Bryan Robson, Brendon Bateson, Derek Statham, Kevin Summerfield and John Deehan - what a team!

ristac, Doc and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  18. milkyboy

Yeh transfer sites say that, but just dont think they’be been updated mike.

Doc, you seem to be making your assessment from football stats sites. They provide a useful benchmark but have you seen much of Hugill and Madine etc to draw your conclusions?

19. milkyboy

Yeh it was a good side, Moses was a very under rated footballer

20. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Thats because the u23 team is better than first team.Its full of ex Barca and Real Madrid players <ok> So stands to reason, harder to get a run out with them