1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Breakfast Debate

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by ellandback, Nov 20, 2017.

1. ellandback

ellandback Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Good Morning Everyone :emoticon-0166-cake:

Leeds returned to winning ways yesterday at Elland Road, and deserved all three points.

Points of contention:-

i) Ayala - How many times did he get away with blue murder. We had the penalty incident, when a split second before he threw Ayling to the ground, every corner we had he was trying to man handle Jansson, he punched Berardi in the face and had his arms wrapped around Jansson who had just broken free and was about to pass the ball in the box.

ii) The penalty incident - How can it be a penalty when the ball (and passage of play) was over 100 yards away?
    Has anyone ever seen that before?

iii) How many times did Boro attack down our left wing? Is Berardi our weak link?

iv) Berardi could have given away a penalty. Ayling did give away a penalty. Jansson has given away a penalty in recent games. Does our defence have a discipline problem?

v) We hit the post in the second half - yet again nobody following it up

vi) Great play by Roofe for engineering the second goal. Looking back over the last few months- Does Lasogga do enough?

vii) How did the result reflect the game? To me 3-1 would have been a fairer result. Monk said that they deserved at least a draw.

leeds60 likes this.
  2. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I think our defense has some discipline issues but didn’t matter yesterday in the end. Can’t get my head around how the team can perform like they did yesterday and play total crap for past two
    Months. I think someone mentioned during post match interviews that team had been training twice daily during international break. Maybe that’s what was needed all along. Hope for more of yesterday’s form against wolves on Wednesday

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  3. Eric Le Merde

Eric Le Merde Well-Known Member

Evening all - I don't think Roofe is the long term answer but.... we do seem to be a more balanced team when he is playing so maybe he is? Perhaps 4-4-2 would be possible with Ekuban and Roofe? not sure. Really glad we got a result yesterday though. Wednesday will be a tough game against possibly the top team, in my opinion, in the league this year. It will be interesting to see how the Portuguese head Coach copes with this league and the cold weather :emoticon-0105-wink:

FORZA LEEDS likes this.
  4. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Morning Eire. Depends pretty much if we go behind or not I reckon.

5. ellandback

Forum Moderator

Evening Eric. Ekuban has great pace. He almost caught the Boro defence napping.

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  6. ristac

ristac Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Morning all, Monk probably instructed Ayala to get in the face of Pontus, a couple of the yellow cards were dubious and it bewilders me how you can grab someone around the neck and throw them to the ground, even in Rugby around the neck and its red.

I agree with Eric and a poster yesterday, Roofe isn't the long term answer but he is certainly the short term one. He earned a couple of corners yesterday chasing lost looking causes too.

I don't like Hernandez but even he had a good game, a few stray passes but several good ones too. His free kicks were good but his corners that are usually spot on were not so great this time.

Substitutions were poor I thought, the wrong players subbed for me and it allowed Boro to threaten more towards the end when the intention was to tighten up, they gleamed of substitutions by a coach under pressure and desperate for a win.

Monk believing they deserved a point, what planet is he on..

7. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

Morning all.Great result yesterday,good to see us playing again like we did earlier in the season,made borough look very ordinary,could have wone it more easily,if it was not for those defence lapses,don't agree at all with Monk,who thaught they deserved something from the game,at 2-0 we were coasting and it looked to me as though it was going to be 3-0 or so.Like Eire just said,i cannot understand these Jekyll & Hyde performances,but let's hope they have been sorted and were about to go on a good run of results,would be a great tonic for all Leeds fans as we sure have had to take some bitter medicine over the last couple of months.:emoticon-0119-puke: but now hopefully<bubbly>

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  8. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

Good morning to Matt an d Eric and co I HAVE NEVER IN MY 67years of watching seen a penalty given when the ball is at least 20 yards away a diabolical decision.He will be brought to task along with the blind linesman was he Glory in disguise I wonder!
    I am so pleased we got a result which we worked hard for as for Monk he got what he deserved nothing
    This hopefully will give us the confidence to tackle Wolves on WED
    I am looking for ward to Glory comments they should make interesting readings talk about putting your foot in it would be an understatement I am sure his comments were put on the door for the players to see before they took to the field

Eric Le Merde likes this.
  9. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

Morning all dont know if roofe is the answer but he gives effort and movement.we have been without a left back too long now.beradi is fine to me but hes right side and i like his agression.
    I was listening to popey and boro had a few chances first half but missed.got the feeling then we could win it.
    Still think we need four good players to make us better.
    Would be good to hear from anyone who went as regards boro.no one seems convinced by weedwold or donnie lonergan.

10. wakeybreakyheart

wakeybreakyheart Well-Known Member

We have just won one game hardly convincing is it.were you in the army?a sniper perhaps cos you keep taking shots .:1980_boogie_down::emoticon-0148-yes:

11. Marcos Barber

Marcos Barber Well-Known Member

It is a conundrum because we were playing like that in the first half a dozen games and then suddenly became as brittle as a biscuit. Chuck in the Bristol City result / performance and yesterday and you have to think it comes down to desire. Bravest performance by Alioski for a long while yesterday, even Pablo tried his hand at tackling and we definitely had more verve in the middle with Phillips and Viera. I like O’Kane but have often said to Ben he comes much too deep for possession sometimes (literally on the toes of our Centre Backs).

Ayling looked like his old self yesterday and Pontus had the hump (good thing). Cooper was solid, Roofe worked his nads off and Saiz always gave them something to think about. Berardi was ok and Donny was pretty solid, just a shame he can’t kick a ball very well. Perhaps he should try his right foot because his left is poor <yikes>

12. Eireleeds1

Interestingly Alioskis parents were over as guests for the game yesterday. Wonder was that the extra motivation he needed as for me, hes been one of our biggest disappointments over last few games. I thought he was brilliant early on and then again yesterday

Marcos Barber likes this.
  13. leeds60

leeds60 Well-Known Member

I thought it was a very good result as Boro were this seasons favourites for promotion having kept their squad and spent another £45m in new recruits
    I thought we played really well and were far the better team bjut I didn't think I made a song and dance about it merely expressing my views

14. lifecheshirewhite

Where's the wallies and Glory today ? <laugh>

ellandback likes this.
  15. Eireleeds1

Had we lost,there would be at least 40 posts already this morning
    #balancedopinions

Marcos Barber and Farsleyexile like this.
  16. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

Glory has had to go earn some cash to pay out his bet with me

ellandback and lifecheshirewhite like this.
  17. 2 pennth

2 pennth Well-Known Member

Morning all.
    Wonder who's lurking in the background this morning.
    :emoticon-0136-giggl

18. Jammy 07

Jammy 07 Well-Known Member

Spot on Marcos.

Only thing I would add is if we can achieve good results like yesterday's with so many weak links in the team then think what would be possible with the addition of a top quality goalkeeper, left back and centre forward.

It's totally unrealistic to expect Orta to come in and nail every signing in his first transfer window. He identified the weaknesses and tried to sign the quality needed to improve the team in Borthwick Jackson (from PL) and Felix and Lasogga (both Bundesliga) but unfortunately they are not working out at the moment. They may come good but as 2 of them are only on season long loans we can replace them in January if the right quality can be found.

Or let's put it another way...if he can sign a top player like Siaz every window we will soon have one hell of a team to watch.

Either way, we are still very much on the right track and people calling for Victor and TC to be sacked have not got a scooby about how to build something meaningful for lasting success and achievement.

19. lifecheshirewhite

yes you're right Glory doesn't have a scooby

Farsleyexile likes this.
  20. Chippy / Glory

Chippy / Glory Senior Member

Good afternoon Mike.
    I suspect you are right about the team being motivated by an outside influence. Because TC is incapable of doing it.
    The bad news is we are probably saddled with the clown for a week or two longer.