1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Bailiffs came knocking.

Discussion in 'The Premier League' started by Big Ern, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Big Ern

Big Ern Lord, Master, Guru & Emperor

So, anyone had any dealings with these legalised thieves?

I've been friends with the parents of 2 kids since before they were babies, looked after them a lot, buy them presents etc. Their last birthday I gave them something nice each, a ps4 for the younger, and 8core PC for the elder, neither were new, so no proper receipts (the PC is supposed to be in a land-fill, huge companies are so wasteful). Her on/off fella has somehow ended up in debt and the ****s are taking the stuff I gave them to pay for his debts, they're not going around to his kids house and taking the X-box he bought them.

I could prove in a court that the stuff was originally mine, and that I'd given it to them and had nothing to do with her fella, but it would be a pain in the arse, especially the computer as I'd need a computer expert (I have the original HDD with it's OS in tact). Can they take stuff that ownership is disputed? Or do I have to prove conclusively with bits of paper that it was my gift.

2. Quesadaad

Quesadaad Well-Known Member

Nightmare mate.
    Unfortunately, the onus is on you to prove ownership etc. Think you have around a month to do so, otherwise it’s auctioned off.

3. Libby

Libby 9-0

Thought this was going to be the council house version of 'A spaceman came travelling' for a second.

But disappointed now.

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

Shouldn't let them in.

You let them in, you lose.

Archers Road and Libby like this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

please log in to view this image

6. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Respect to you mate for buying such nice gifts. Your obviously a top bloke doing things like that.
    Because the items belong to that household i dont think you can do much about them being taken away.

Quesadaad likes this.
  7. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If you’ve gifted it to the household then it’s their property now, and unless there is a bill of sale in the name of the woman then it’ll be deemed to be a removable asset if he’s still listed at that address and is living there. As the burden of proof in those circumstances lies with the others residing in the property to prove that it wasn’t his.

If he’s shown to have moved out and now lives at another address and there’s none of his belongings at the house, then they have no right to take anything at all.

8. brb

brb CR250

My most logical response is to say don't answer the door, probably not helpful though :(

Skylarker and Archers Road like this.
  9. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

If they’re high court enforcement then they have right of entry anyway.

They don’t want goods generally, as they fetch peanuts at disposal auctions, they want cash, and their aim is to try and use the threat of removal as leverage to get it.

Lovearsenalcock and Archers Road like this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

I thought they couldn't force entry until they had been admitted entry on an occasion?

11. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Yeah, never let a bailiff over the threshold, they’re like vampires in that regard.

Two massive geezers turned up at my house once to collect on a couple of parking tickets that had rolled up to about £700 in total. They said they were going to tow my car away, so I said, “take it, it’s worth about £50”.
    They said, “we know, and when we’ve sold it we’ll be back for the contents of your house”.

That’s when I started making phone calls, like the ****s you see on Can’t Pay? We’ll Take it Away. I wouldn’t have let the ****ers in, without written permission from the court, but who needs that sort of hassle?

Tell your friend to contact citizens advice. She has rights, and it pays to know what they are. What sort of ****s would take a kid’s toys ffs?

12. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Standard bailiffs have no right of forceful entry, but High Court enforcement do, as soon as you open the door they can gain access. If they complete a control of goods agreement on a visit with a debtor, which means they’ve taken a list of assets that they will remove if you don’t pay with an agreed number of days, and then you don’t pay, they don’t even need the door to be opened, they can break in if you’re not there, as the goods are legally theirs to remove in that circumstance.

13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah the first stage is what I'm talking about, if you never open the door for them to complete the itemised goods agreement. Would they have right of entry there?

It's a tactic that's worked for me in the past anyway, though admittedly I doubt they've ever been high Court bailiffs.

14. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

The Ginger Marks likes this.
  15. Big Ern

seems like that's what they did, she cameout of the shower and they were inside. First she knew about it, apparently they sent a letter to her old address the day she moved out.

16. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Standard type debts rarely get advanced to the High Court, so it’s usually just ex bouncer bailiffs that turn up, you can hide from them, but they’ll keep coming back if you do the ostrich and people generally don’t want that hanging over them, so will make contact and sort out a payment arrangement. It’s all about harassing debtors into facing up to their debt and sorting it.

17. Big Ern

It's DBCL, the guys from 'Can't pay we'll take it away', so I'm going to guess it's being done by the book.

What would happen if I went there and took the stuff I gave as presents back? Would I be charged with stealing my own stuff? I could I might enjoy going down that route.

18. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I think it's also true that as long as you are making efforts to pay the debt off then legally there's not much more they can do. So if you pay £5 per month, then that usually will settle it.

19. Milk and Kebabs

Milk and Kebabs Well-Known Member

Wasn't she supposed to leave the shower fully covered in make up and make some quip like "isn't there some other agreement we can reach?"... Then drop the towel.

I'm quite sure plumbers and pizza delivery drivers will take sex as a payment if you don't have money. She was fresh out the shower... Seems an opportunity.

BobbyD, gooner4ever and Archers Road like this.
  20. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

Have they completed a controlled goods agreement then? If so, and the PC is listed it’s no longer her property if she doesn’t pay whatever agreement they’ve reached. So technically you’d be in possession of stolen property.