1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

His wording comes across as pretty pointed. Sounds like he is suggesting someone in Ings camp leaked the contract refusal to the press and in a round about way he is giving Ings a bollocking for it, just in the nicest and most indirect way possible whilst emphasising again that he wants him to stay.

He certainly seems to take these things a lot more seriously than other managers we’ve had, when he talked about the Højbjerg transfer to Spurs you really got a feeling that he almost felt personally betrayed and there was some ill feeling.

garysfc likes this.
  2. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

If he isn't going to sign the contract then we have no choice burt to sell him, our financial situation means we can't afford to let a £20m asset walk away for nothing regardless what anyone thinks
    For me it would be one last negotiation and if he declines put him in the shop window for £25m & sell him to anyone who gets near that figure

3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

I do feel we may need to sell him if we can get over £30m. Too much risk that he gets injured, collects a wage for the season and walks off at the end.

Dark Lord SFC likes this.
  4. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not sure it needs to be as strong as "regardless what anyone thinks"?

Surely it comes down to whether people believe we would avoid relegation without him? And whilst you might be confident that we can, I do think it's fair if others think we can't - and hence there is a legitimate debate to be had.

For sure, our financial situation means that losing Ings for free would be very bad. But so would relegation. And I'd suggest that relegation would cost far more than £20m. Hence selling Ings could make our finances worse, not better.

5. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

But all we’re doing in the scenario that we keep Ings, stay up and let him go for free is kicking the can down the road and accepting relegation in 22/23 as we will have no money to attempt to replace him.

The question to be asked is do we think we can replace Ings with a striker good enough to keep us up/ buy a couple of players to improve the squad for £20m or not. If the answer to that is no then we are ****ed either way and should get better scouts/recruitment people

6. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

I think Ralph will keep us up, regardless if he has Ings or Dowie upfront.

7. Jack50

Jack50 Active Member

Pen to paper Danny William John Ings. To a New Saints Contract.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  8. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

Trouble is I don’t think anyone will pay >£20m for Danny. I’d like to think we’ll bin anything less but I’m sure there will be a lot of tempting add ons tho which may sway us. If we don’t get a figure which we feel is fair (£25m plus?), we should refuse & from a financial perspective hope Danny has a storming 1st half & we can get a paltry figure for him in Jan.

9. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

We won’t replace Ings with a player anywhere near his quality for £20m. That’s nothing to do with our scouting it’s the market today.

In a years time with the dead wood off the books we may be in a position to invest £30m+ on a decent striker.

So it may not be exactly the same situation next year, we may be better to let him go on a free and have the benefit of him for a full season.

Also with no suitors, 1 year left on his contract we are not garuanteed 20m.

10. Saintmagic

It is highly unlikely we get someone as good as Ings, but that’s not the question. It’s could we get someone good enough to help keep us up? Whether that be one direct replacement or a couple of signings with the £20m

Ings is a top 6 striker when he is fit and firing, that is very hard to find and especially with the pathetic budget we have. We just need to find another striker who can chip in 8-10 goals and that should be doable

11. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

I didn’t even think Chelsea were after Robert Lewandowski?

12. Saintmagic

Supposedly they want Haaland.

I can’t see Ings being any of the top teams first choice, just a squad option for relatively cheap. Think we will have to wait and see if there is any striker movement with other teams before we really know whether Ings will be here for next season

OddRiverOakWizards and Libby like this.
  13. SaintInKuwait

SaintInKuwait Well-Known Member

That’s going to be it. There’s two giant albatrosses hanging over the entire window so far in Haaland and Kane. When the future is clearer for those two it will kick off everything. If Spurs are losing Kane then they will be chasing Ings hard I’m sure. Danny also represents a good option for any of the top four who are looking for a couple of seasons out of a proven goalscorer who is a good pro, British, and will add value as backup or rotation.

14. Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc)

Ronnie Hotdog (MLsfc) Well-Known Member

As good as we know Ings is, Spurs are going to seriously struggle if he is to replace Kane. I'd be surprised if Nuno makes it to the end of the season, especially when you consider he was about 5th choice on Levy's target list anyway!

Hopefully no one comes in for Ings and he signs a new deal with us when the window has closed.

15. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Chelsea have gone from Kane to Haaland to Lukaku to Lewandowski, to Ings <laugh>

I could see Ings going there, but it will only be for one season after which they'll spend very big on a new no.9. Is that really what he'll want? He'll be wanting a move after a year as he'll be cast aside like Abraham has been.

If Chelsea can do a deal with us for Abraham in return then I'm all for it, but Abraham will have bigger teams than us interested in him.

16. Negative Creep

Negative Creep Well-Known Member

Can someone email Bruce Buck and tell him Shane Long is also helpful at scaring defenders, if they are on the look out for a striker.

17. Jack50

Jack50 Active Member

Danny William John Ings Must Stay at The Mighty Saints.

18. Cowtownred

Cowtownred Well-Known Member

I suggested it a week ago or so. Unfortunately it seems to me like fit for both Danny Ings and Chelsea.

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Saints will take all of 30 seconds to reject it.

20. Lemons and Oranges

Lemons and Oranges Well-Known Member

Ian Dowie? Times must be hard! :eek:

Negative Creep likes this.