1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Athletic: Danny Ings signs new long-term contract, but not for Southampton.

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by - Doing The Lambert Walk, Oct 19, 2020.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

We need some competition for his signature to get a bidding war going - we don`t want spuds to be the only show in town.

StJabbo1 likes this.
  2. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

No excuses for posting this excellent clip from Cabaret, it seems appropriate.

AberdeenSaint likes this.
  3. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

But how can we expect him to resist the lure of the mighty Europa Conference League?

4. Jack50

Jack50 Active Member

If I was Ings I would stay unless Man City tried to sign me as number 1 striker. He is the key player for Saints and earns enough. Don't really see the benefit of going on and off the bench like a yoyo and having to move house. If he's settled here it will be better for his health (mental and physical) to stay. Hopefully he reads this and takes my advice (haha).

5. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

That's a bit of a joke competition, but it's more than we can offer <laugh>

Their stadium, players, wages (probably) and prospects are all better than what we have here. He may even like the idea of living in London. So while we're told he wants Champs League only, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he did go to Spurs, as they are a step up whether we like it or not.

The things in our favour are his connection to the club/city, his family being around this area and he is guaranteed to play every week (if fit). That could be important ahead of next year's World Cup. Then again if Kane left, he'd probably be their first choice too.

garysfc likes this.
  6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Also I can't see Levy offering more than 15mill for Danny which we simply won't accept.

7. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Reads as a bit of attempt to destabilise which Spurs have form for.

Remember when Levy ruined Berahino’s career? (Not removing Berahino of all responsibility in that mind).

8. Saints FC 76

Neither can I, but you can never be certain. We didn't get what we wanted for Hojbjerg, although granted wanting to sign KWP would have played a part in that fee.

9. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Rodon, Sessegnon plus cash?

10. Saints FC 76

Can't see them letting go of Rodon. Anyone see much of Sessegnon for Fulham? Always been highly rated.

11. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

He may be settled in the area, but remember he lives in Winchester IIRC? Wayne Bridge I believe when he went to Chelsea, stayed living in Winchester. It isn't really that far after all.

BackFromBeyond likes this.
  12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

It wasn’t a Bridge too far.

13. West Kent Saint

West Kent Saint Well-Known Member

But he did encounter troubled water...

14. SootySaint

SootySaint Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people can't understand ings wanting to go somewhere to be sat on the bench but in reality he only has a few seasons left in him. The chance of ending his career with some form of medal is higher at spurs or city then us and he gets a final pay day before he retires. Hard to argue with that with the amount of football players who have gone bankrupt when the lavish payslips stop. Only those with some form of achievement make a successful career afterwards. (Some do but usually you see a pundit/manager with the below title detailing an achievement of some kind. He came to his boyhood club after an injury run season and found our top spending stopped with no real plans to go big unless we are sold... then covid hit which impacted the entore league bar a few. Ecstatic he came to us and i had the pleasure of seeing him score some wonder goals but just as i would not turn down a job which doubled my salary after working at a place i enjoy, i do not begrudge him for doing the same. Wonder if we can coach back Pelle/Lambert asa super sub. Up the saints.

15. Gregm1988

Gregm1988 Well-Known Member

I don’t think anyone is disputing the City point and I don’t think many would begrudge him going there

Spurs though? Sure they have a higher chance of winning something than us. But that isn’t saying much and it still isn’t high given they are historic bottlers

16. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

If he can get paid more he will go. Like most people if offered a big pay rise for the same job you would move

17. Jack50

Jack50 Active Member

Most, not All. Hopefully Ings is one of the smart few who stay at the dream job and ignore the pay rise.

18. Schrodinger's Cat

Schrodinger's Cat Well-Known Member

Hopefully his dream job consists of being in a constant battle against relegation. I think however his dream job is going to involve loads more money and a chance to maybe win some silverware

19. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I literally just finished watching Silence of the Lambs ten minutes ago. Now I recognise who you are!!!

<yikes><laugh>

20. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator