1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Arkle Challenge Trophy 2021

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by OddDog, Jan 8, 2021.

1. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Arkle Challenge Trophy was introduced as a replacement for the Cotswold Chase, a previous event at the Cheltenham Festival, in 1969. Its title pays tribute to Arkle, the three-time winner of the Cheltenham Gold Cup in the mid-1960s. The race was formerly scheduled to be run on the second day of the Festival, but it was switched to its slot on the opening day in 1980. The race is run over 2 miles on the old course and there are 13 fences to be jumped.
    The first sponsor of the "Meghan Markle" was Waterford Castle, which began supporting the event in 1991. It was backed by Guinness from 1994 to 1999, and from 2000 to 2011 it was sponsored by the Irish Independent newspaper. The Racing Post newspaper sponsored the race from 2012 to 2020. From 2021 the race is sponsored by Sporting Life.
    Several winners of the race have subsequently achieved victory in the most prestigious two-mile chase in the National Hunt calendar, the Queen Mother Champion Chase. The most recent was Altior, the winner of the latter event in 2018. The 1978 winner, Alverton, went on to win the following season's Cheltenham Gold Cup.
    In 2020, Put the Kettle On become the first Mare to win the race since Anaglogs Daughter in 1980.
    The most successful jockeys in the race are both now unfortunately retired - Ruby Walsh and Barry Geraghty each with 4 winners. The most successful trainer is Nicky Henderson with 6 absolutely top notch winners (Remittance Man (1991), Travado (1993), Tiutchev (2000), Sprinter Sacre (2012), Simonsig (2013), Altior (2017)).

The betting for the 2021 renewal is dominated by another potential Henderson superstar in Shishkin. Last season's Supreme Novices Hurdle winner was presumably named after Russian painter Ivan Shishkin and I present here one of his most famous works - "Winter" - which I have seen in Stockholm and, standing in front of it, you cannot believe it isn't a photograph. An absolute masterpiece of technique.

upload_2021-1-8_11-31-3.png

Anyway, enough of the culture and back to the Meghan Markle. Shishkin is a best-priced 5/6 to win in March having won on chase debut at Kempton in November before following up at the same track in the Wayward Lad Novices Chase over Christmas. Ominously for his rivals, this is the same stepping stone used by Sprinter Sacre, Simonsig and Altior on their way to Arkle glory and, after initially being chivvied along by Nico De Boinville to keep tabs on the trailblazing Gumball he simply cruised to the front after the third last and zoomed up the home straight under hands and heels to record a 13 length victory over Tamaroc Du Mathan. The time compared very favourably to that of Nube Negra winning the Desert Orchid Chase and the last 3 furlongs were particularly impressive on the clock.

So can anything beat Shishkin? Let's look first at the home challenge, headed by the two horses who fought out the finish of the Henry VIII Novices Chase at Sandown - Allmankind (10/1) and Hitman (20/1). Allmankind finished 3rd in last year's Triumph Hurdle and after disappointing over hurdles on seasonal debut he was quickly switched to novice chasing by the Skeltons. He blew away Zanza (now rated 145) at Warwick in a hack canter and then put in an exhibition round of jumping at Sandown to take the Henry VIII. As with Shishkin at Kempton, his time at Sandown compared very favourably with that of his elders, this time the Tingle Creek Chase won by Politologue. Hitman is a big, scopey individual who also jumped well and may well have caught Allmankind in another furlong or two but he did leave the impression of lacking the tactical speed for an Arkle. Best of the rest in the UK look to be Fusil Raffles and Protektorat but both of those are potentially Marsh-bound.

The Irish challenge looks a very strong one - indeed Patrick Mullins, in an interview over Christmas, said he couldn't remember when they had so many good novice chasers. Shortest in the market at the moment is Unexcepted who absolutely sluiced up on chase debut at Tipperary. He was initally held up behind hot favourite Captain Guinness but was taking a length out of that rival at each fence and as they came up the home straight for the first time Mark Walsh allowed Unexcepted to stride on. What we saw over the next mile was nothing short of jaw-dropping. Fired at his fences, he absolutely flew them and proceeded to draw further and further clear. As they came into the home straight Walsh knew he had the race won and eased his mount heavily over the last 2 fences to record an 8 length victory over Entoucas - a race well worth watching if you can. Entoucas lends substance to the form - he has since run a fine second to Blackbow (more of him later) and filled the same slot behind Sizing Pottsie in a Grade B Handicap Chase at Fairyhouse. Captain Guinness was pulled up at Tipperary but remains prominent in the Arkle betting as does Blackbow, despite blotting his copybook when falling over Christmas at Leopardstown. Not a problem for Mullins though, as up stepped Franco De Port to win the Racing Post Novice Chase after Blackbow's, Franco De Port available at 20/1 for the Arkle. Energumene also impressed on chase debut for Mullins but that was over 2m4f so he will potentially go to the Marsh. One assumes we will learn a lot more from the Irish Arkle in February.

Summary: Potentially a classic Arkle with Shishkin, Allmankind and Hitman fronting a strong home team but some absolutely cracking novices in Ireland waiting to challenge them. The way Unexcepted went about his business really impressed me and the 14/1 NRNB with Paddy Power looks a decent bet at this stage. Whatever wins the Irish Arkle will likely go to somewhere around 3/1 second fav so it might be worth getting on prior to that race.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  2. NassauBoard

NassauBoard Well-Known Member

I jumped on the Shishkin bandwagon as soon as Henderson spoke about chasing on the Tuesday of the festival last season, and have backed him at prices from 7s downwards. To me he is a potential star, and from what we have seen this season I haven't been in any doubt about him taking to chasing.

A lot of the antepost market will change with the Irish race Oddy mentions and then potentially the Kingmaker at Warwick. If nothing is spectacular in Ireland it really sets up the Warwick race for Allmankind to stake his claim.

karlos5001 likes this.
  3. Joe_z

Joe_z Well-Known Member

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this Oddy, brilliant write up mate.

OddDog likes this.
  4. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

That will be a great shout if Unexcepted wins Oddy

OddDog likes this.
  5. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

Good right-up, Oddy! Shishkin certainly looks good but hasn't met real quality yet. His jumping looks A1 but, in a fast and furious Arkle, one mistake can be fatal.
    His price is stupid. A race to watch.

OddDog likes this.
  6. OddDog

Staff Member

7. OddDog

Staff Member

Blackbow, Energumene and Captain Guinness due to face each other at Naas on Wednesday.

8. As We Know

As We Know 1 of the top judges in Europe

"Eneurgumene was very sharp at Gowran over 2m4f and if he can bring that jumping here he can be very competitive over two miles. I may as well find out now if he can be competitive at the trip and it’s a nice opportunity to do that. There are five fences in the last six furlongs so it’s a good chance for us to test whether he can be good enough over two miles."

Mullins giving him a chance to be an arkle horse, cant ask for any more than that as a backer for that race.

9. As We Know

Id say Energumene is the only legit opposition to Shishkin, nothing else has looked to be in the same class as them. Allmankind a triumph pacemaker will give them a good lead to the turn in.

10. OddDog

Staff Member

He certainly won't fail for stamina. I'd just like to see him on something other than heavy going - I have a nagging doubt he might not take to a fast-run Arkle on good-soft. He put in some spectacular leaps today but also a couple of ponderous ones.

Very strange performance from Blackbow today - almost looked to be sulking out the back and was never put into the race. Potentially a step up in trip for him.

Let's see who turns up in the Irish Arkle.

11. As We Know

The only doubt I have is whether hes good enough to beat Shishkin, zero concerns about ground on the first day of Cheltenham, or going left handed which is the other concern some have been talking about. His breeding is very similar to Uu De Sceaux who was a monster on heavy but fine on good ground as well, good horses are like that, and Energumene is a good horse, hed be a short price for it in a normal year.

12. As We Know

Well we now know the favourite for the Irish Arkle, touch wood he stays sound.

please log in to view this image

Captain Guiness and Blackbow were pretty high up the 2 mile pecking order in Ireland, todays race was high level graded in all bar name, and given that Mullins won the main arkle trial with Franco De Port, im struggling to see where something else is coming from. The same stables Unexcepted is the only one but he seems like a nearly horse to me, cant see him ever doing it on the big stage. Mullins clearly has the 2 mile division in Ireland and i think Energumene is the A team.

Ron and OddDog like this.
  13. As We Know

please log in to view this image

Ron likes this.
  14. OddDog

Staff Member

Nearly right - best price of 11/4 about Energumene now after his demolition job in the Irish Arkle. This sets up what could be the greatest Arkle ever run - and I don't say that lightly. Yes, we have had some truly great winners in recent years - Altior, Sprinter Sacre, Sizing Europe and Moscow Flyer. But this year we potentially have 2 absolute superstars locking horns in Shishkin and Energumene. I stand to be corrected but I cannot remember when we had two such talents heading to the Arkle in the same year (but I am still a young whippersnapper compared to some on here). To be honest I am surprised they are still so far apart in the betting with Shishkin a shade of odds-on. But to be even more honest, I couldn't care less - I just want them both to turn up and deliver a race that will go down in history. Bring it on <ok>

15. NassauBoard

Sprinter Sacre and Cue Card. How quickly you forget

16. OddDog

Staff Member

Not sure I would mention Cue Card in the same breath as the rest though Nass - he couldn't live with Sprinter Sacre and I think that is the level we are looking at with these two.

17. NassauBoard

However going into the race Sprinter Sacre had won two Grade 2s over fences. You had the 1, 3 and 4 from the previous seasons Supreme Hurdle. Al Ferof had run well in an open class Grade 1 before the festival.

At the current time, if you compared the two races you'd be hard pushed to say this years field is any better than that. If the big two have anywhere near the same number of Grade 1s as the front two that day then they will have had great careers.

It is easy to be optimistic in advance, but for me at this stage its just another Arkle with potential superstars. Lets see how it all pans out. You never know, another Western Warhorse might be lurking!

18. OddDog

Staff Member

Oh don’t mention the Western Warhorse race - did me for the placepot, I had Dodging Bullets who finished 4th and then went on to win a Champion Chase the following year. It’s a cruel game sometimes.

19. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

“young whippersnapper,” Oddy?
    You seem to have been around for years!
    Or are you just calling us ‘old buggers?’ <laugh>

OddDog likes this.
  20. OddDog

Staff Member

I wondered whether someone would mention Flyingbolt <whistle>