1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

A serious question .... ( I am sure that I am missing something ! )

For the last few days / week or so, I keep hearing about the drop in the rate of confirmed cases of Covid 19. --- This should be good news - BUT -- For several days, the death rate continues to be comfortably above 1,ooo, and on one day was over 1800. (( and I haven't yet heard that the figures reflect any influence from the Christmas 'relaxation' of the regulations ))...... And we heard, yesterday, that the R number is still @ 1 ( or as near as damn it. ) - This would surely mean that the rate of infection has not - nor will not (yet), reduce anytime soon.....
    So - what's going on ? - the maths don't add up - other than that there are even more dead people than ever before. ..
    I don't have a definitive answer -- I could be cynical ( yes, I know you're shocked ) - I suspect that fewer people ( who might be 'positive' ), are volunteering themselves to be tested - for fear that they will have to isolate --- and they are not included in the infection rates ---- but --- if they get ill they will die.
    It might be that there are greater numbers of ''negative'' people getting tested - possibly as a prerequisite to be able to attend their place of work - thus giving a greater proportion of 'negative' results - without establishing those who may test 'positive' - but chose not to be tested.
    I am genuinely interested in thoughts, and a more convincing answer ...... I was going to ask Boris -- but I would get a straighter answer from Dominic Cummings.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  2. alwaysright

More madness--- unless you think it's just me ?

Going through the online newspapers this morning, I cam across 3 stories that proves to me that this country's 'leaders' have gone mad.... I won't bore you with the links - my accounts will be soporific enough.

No. 1 A chap was fined £ 150 for fly-tipping..... He lives in a house with no rear garden. He doesn't qualify for a 'green' bin. He had swept leaves, blown in front of his garage, from the (council owned ) trees along the footpaths. He took these leaves to a nearby wooded area and scattered them - to allow them to rot down and act as fertiliser for the area. There was a CCTV in the locality - because of real fly tipping (( you know the sort - old mattresses, fridges, builders' waste etc ). The poor chap was filmed committing his 'crime', and sent a penalty notice.. The local council claimed that the leaves - for which they - were responsible for clearing, were classed as 'controlled' waste !!
    The chap thought he was doing the council and his community a favour - by removing a trip hazard - as well as preventing the local sewers from being blocked - by removing a health hazard. ---- I can't tell you what I think about the council in question - not without exploding the swear filter in the forum.

No. 2. Hospitals have been charging our NHS staff for parking their cars - and getting £Millions in revenue. This is a disgrace and insult to the very people at the front of the firing squad - as they risk their lives to try to save the idiots in story No.3....... It really is shameful that these selfless professionals are expected to pay for coming to work to save lives!

No. 3 ------ I do have sympathy for the family and friends concerned ----- I too have lost friends during the last year - including with Covid - and I too have not been 'permitted' to attend their funeral - as the numbers allowed were insufficient even for close family --- so, I know the heartache of not being able to properly pay respects - but - I have paid my own, private respects in a 'lone' visit to the cemetery - and I have respected the need to ensure that neither I, or others quickly follow the deceased !.......................

..... In this incident, the deceased was a 'traveller.'. He was a young man ( mid 30s), who suffered an industrial accident. His funeral was well publicised in the local community -- and attended by 200+ family and friends. ... I repeat, I know how they must have felt -- I have experienced their sense of loss -- so, I am not being heartless (( I won't take offence if any of you think otherwise -- we all deal with grief in our own unique way -- but, we do have a responsibility to use common sense - no matter how painful. ))
    The Police in the area obviously were well aware that there was going to be a considerable breach of regulations - because they took the step of applying for a road closure to accommodate the funeral procession. ( the application for a road closure isn't something that doesn't need forward planning - the Police or local authority can't merely place a barrier whenever and wherever they like. )......................... So the Police aided & abetted the breach of the regulations! ....... and NO fines were imposed! -- and yet a little old lady sitting on a park bench - drinking a cup of coffee - whilst resting during her daily exercise is placed in handcuffs and arrested !

I wish absolutely NO ill fortune to any of the people who attended the funeral. I am still grieving the recent loss of one particular friend - so I know their 'pain' - but I am appalled with the discrepancies in the so-called justice in these incidents ----- but --- why should I be surprised at the selective manner in which the Police and local authorities (ab)use their 'powers' --- I have it on good authority from a Police Officer 'close' to me - that his Area Commander told him that '' there is no room for discretion in the Police service.'' ----- no wonder that this is no longer England -- but 'Yobland' ( aided and abetted by Police Commanders - interested only in soft targets - so as to be seen to 'achieving' the precious numbers that our Politicians crave )....

and, as for the latest 'threat' to put people in prison for 10 years if they lie about from whence they have travelled, and if they have got more than their duty free allowance or are carrying the Plague in their pocket ----- what a joke - as if ?? So - why didn't they close the borders last March ??............ I'd better stop now - before you lot send in the men in white coats --- I keep telling you -- I am the only sane one left -- I have no intention of catching your stupidity.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

People don't die from Covid as soon as they get it, so a reduction in the number of deaths will only follow sometime after the reduction in the number of confirmed cases. In both cases the daily numbers aren't totally relevant as they depend on the reporting mechanism. The 7 day average is a far better guide as to what's going on.

As the average number of cases has declined in past couple of weeks the number of deaths will decline in due course (assuming of course that the rate of mortality for the current prevalent strain is broadly no worse than that for the previous strains).

Similarly the number of people being reported as in hospital suffering from Covid will decline over time, but the speed of decline will depend on how soon they recover. Hopefully what is happening at the moment is that fewer people are being admitted as new patients. I don't recall seeing those numbers, just the total in hospital.

For me, the bigger question is why are the reported numbers of new reported cases so high?? If people are following the rules, then surely far fewer people should be getting it. I think the answer probably lies in that statement. The bottom line is there are still thousands - probably hundreds of thousands and maybe millions - of people who are not following the rules. They are probably the ones who will complain most about not being able to go on holiday this year because they are, bluntly, selfish ****s.

alwaysright likes this.
  4. alwaysright

I think grumpygit's got some pills for that !
    In all seriousness - I think too many people think that the rules / restrictions etc, are for everyone else - not for them ! They must feel that they are immune to the consequences of non compliance..... 2.5 million people around the World have died from / with Covid - nobody is immune - but, sadly, the bottle of pills that grumpygit has is far too small for the number of selfish bleeps in our society.

5. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

6. alwaysright

You can't arrest me for drunk driving officer - I'm on the footpath - it's not a road !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-56139051

You go to your supermarket - what do you see ? Loads of cars in the car park -- with all the occupants let loose in close proximity in the aisles......in theory, the customers could actually all be in their cars - at the same time -- so what's the difference (( please don't tell me that it's a place of retail. ))............... or you go to your local McDonalds ( or other drive through 'restaurant.' **)..... You will see a queue of customers waiting to place their orders - and subsequently have much closer physical contact / direct transference of products -- unlike what the worshippers were doing in the car park.

In my opinion, the Police have chased a soft target (again) - without thinking about the legal implications of their actions........ I appreciate that the Government have done no favours to the Police with the vague rules,/ regulations/ and guidelines during the last year ( a-la-Dominic Cummings etc etc ), - but - surely the Police's own legal department must have considered each rule etc - and the wording thereof --

I can see a very simple challenge for the Churches of the Street people - because the Government have stated that communal worship is permitted - at a place of worship.... The Government have NOT stipulated, or closely 'defined' the type of premises , or location that qualifies as a place - and they'd be hard-pressed to categorise what is a place of worship - let alone what isn't !

As God is omnipresent, anywhere qualifies as a place where worship may be made --- as far as I'm concerned the Police haven't got a prayer of winning this one in court !

** I don't consider McDonalds a 'restaurant' - or, at least as much a restaurant as a car park being a place of worship !

7. alwaysright

How is it 'News' ?......... I hope the other bloke wins !
    Just watching the BBC News... At the very end of the broadcast, the newsreader announces; '' Ronnie O'Sullivan is 5-3 down in the final of the Welsh Open '' ( snooker ) ....... No mention of the guy who is 'winning' ( Jordan Brown. )

How is the item 'newsworthy' ? -- and how disrespectful is it to the other finalist, Jordan Brown, who the BBC failed to name ?
    I have no problem with the BBC extolling the sporting virtues of O'Sullivan - but - this is yet another case of bias towards certain sporting personalities / teams..... a bit like when everything relates to David Beckham, Christiano Ronaldo, Tiger Woods, Manchester United,** Liverpool -- and don't get me started with some so-called tv 'stars'.

For the record - O'Sullivan is / has been a great exponent of the game of snooker - but so has many other players. The same goes for other sports - where there have been many 'great' players over the years - but - if the BBC are going to make a current news announcement involving a final of a competition, it should be done 'impartially', and with fair recognition of the participants. To ignore O'Sullivan's opponent is extremely disrespectful.

** it really grates on me when the commentators and pundits refer to Manchester United as '' United '' -- This happens even when both teams have the 'United' name in their title. Why ? - What privilege does any team have over a certain style of naming rights ? ----- I have to watch a lot of my games with mute activated ! Martin Tyler of Sky is the worst offender when it comes to biased drivel......................... ( after me )

8. alwaysright

No more Priestfield -- until August (( fingers crossed ! ))
    Boris is making his 'Roadmap' speech in the Houses of Parliament.

He says that it won't be until 17th May ( at the earliest ), that football stadiums will be open -- subject to ''social-distanced capacities''. The L1 season will be over before that date ( please don't dream of the play-off ) - --------
    ------- So, there you have it - we won't be back until August -- and even then, Boris hasn't ruled out reintroducing local restrictions if the infection rate rises again......

9. alwaysright

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree !
    ... brb will appreciate this one - reminds me of the time we refused to budge for the stewards in the 'away' stand at AFC Wimbledon's old ground.

My younger son is extending his kitchen - and has had a skip outside his house --- which is due to be collected tomorrow. At 7am today, the skip company sent a lorry to retrieve the skip - with which my son had not 'finished.'
    My son put on his dressing gown, and went outside to stop the chap from loading the skip onto the truck... The driver told my son that they needed the skip - and was taking it today ! My son protested - and said that he had paid up for Friday. The driver wasn't willing to listen. He refused to contact his office for verification - and started to attach the coupling chains...................

..... At which point my son told the driver he wasn't going to take the skip - and promptly climbed inside the skip... The driver used an expletive - and decided to drive away without the skip.......That's my boy !

(( I have a video - but it's only for personal enjoyment. ))

grumpygit and brb like this.
  10. alwaysright

Political correctness ! --- and it doesn't make my story about my 'Skipboy' son look so stupid
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56200811.

....... So, does that mean that all the ''Mr'' men characters will be rebranded ? -- and what am I supposed to call a 'Dick' head ?........ at least grumpygit isn't gender-specific.

'' Mum - Dad ....... I mean -Person.''.... what a load of testicles ! --- am I allowed to say testicles anymore? - ;Human reproductive glands' just doesn't have the same gravitas
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56204865

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    grumpygit likes this.

11. alwaysright

12. alwaysright

Football's not just about scoring goals !........this game was not dour !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56143444

I watched this game - and was entertained - despite the lack of goals. I thought that both teams played some good football. The passing was crisp and well executed.
    The reason why no goals were scored was because the contest was even and very committed by all the players. A draw was a fair result. I was intrigued with the battle, and not bothered that it ended 0-0.

I also quite like watching 'tactical' play in snooker -and can appreciate quality ''safety'' play.

Dour football ? Mr. McNulty needs to start watching The Gills - he'll soon stop complaining about seeing two evenly matched EPL sides 'going for it!'

grumpygit likes this.
  13. alwaysright

This is a true story - which still beggars belief. ( the really stupid bit begins about half-way down )
    My mother is a frail, old woman - in poor physical health and has severe dementia ! This last year has been a nightmare - in trying to get her the care she needs. She was receiving 3 or 4 daily care visits whilst living in her own home (( as well as a LOT of help every day from me and my family )) -- but Covid messed up things --- her carers were unable to attend for various Covid related reasons... It meant that mum had to move in with my brother - but he has 3 autistic children--- and it very quickly became too much for my brother & sister-in-law to care for mum........

eventually we found a care home for my mum - but it was not good ! ( too big ) - and mum had to be moved after only two weeks -- thankfully to a care home which (( up to this week )), has been taking good care of mum ---- despite all the regulations that have prevented the family being able to have visits..... and my 100 mile journey didn't make visits in 'normal' times any easier !

Yesterday afternoon ( 2pm ), I received a phone call to inform me that mum had sustained a minor fall whilst in a bathroom...... (( it has transpired that she broke her left wrist. )) The care home didn't think there was anything broken - but a call to NHS 111 advised a check-up at the hospital ( less than half a mile away .)...... so I was left with waiting for an update........ I phoned my brother to appraise him of the situation..

About 4 pm my brother phoned me - to say that the care home had called him - to ask if he could take mum to the hospital - because the ambulance personnel told the care home of a delay of about 5 or 6 hours ! Although my brother lives only 3 miles from the care home, he was some distance away - at his place of work.

My brother enquired why the care home expected him to breach the Covid regulations in the care home - when visits were denied for the same reason. My brother was also expected to take a Covid test before attending !!! My brother pointed out that for various reasons, it wasn't expedient for him to help - and suggested that as the care home was so close to the hospital, the staff should take mum in one of their cars. The staff said that they'd ''sort it.''

At 2.30AM ( middle of the night ), my mobile rings -and I see that it's the care home calling ------- I was expecting 'bad' news ! ( as opposed to stupid news ))
    The care home wanted to let me know that my mum was just THEN being taken to the hospital !! (( 13 hours after the fall )) Naturally I was staggered - and asked obvious questions regarding the delay in treatment.. I got 'fobbed off' - with the blame on an ambulance unavailable & staff shortages / caring for other residents preventing transport in a staff car............... I was furious - too furious to be able to sleep..... I busied myself with a suitably worded email to the manager of the care home.

At a more respectable time, the care home manager replied to my message - and apologised for their lack of proper care - and promised an 'investigation.' I wasn't interested in a witch hunt - I told the manager I wanted procedures in place to prevent a repeat for ANY of the residents.

Later in the morning I was having trouble in getting any staff to answer the phone - for an update on my mum. I got 'through' around 11am. The member of staff - to whom I spoke said he would call the hospital ( mum was still there ! ), to find out the latest. ..... was it really necessary for me to ask ? ))

At 2pm, the care home manager called to say that mum had returned to the home...... I was curious - I asked if mum had been escorted by a member of staff during the episode.....the answer was 'NO.' Mum had been alone - and 12 hours later was returned to the care home by hospital transport.... From my enquiries, it transpires that mum could have been taken to the hospital by taxi - then returned by the same transport. The manager of the care home conceded that this should have happened - with a staff member to escort mum en route to the hospital ( to explain - but not remain during treatment. )

This revelation made me even more cross - '' So, why did you leave it for at least 13 hours before my mum got taken to hospital ?'' The care home manager couldn't aplogise enough.........

2 hours later my brother phoned me - to say that the care home had called him -- asking him if he could take my mum to hospital (again !!! ) - he felt like he was on a bloody merry-go-round.... apparently mum had removed the plaster cast from her arm ( how?) - she claimed to not like it on her arm.
    You can imagine that my brother was less than impressed with the latest request. He had an exchange of colourful words - but was being given the same lame excuses - no ambulance available / staff shortages bla bla bla.

This time my brother relented - and attended the care home - whilst I telephoned the manager to express my disgust at the situation - prompting her to say; '' I am terribly sorry Mr Alwaysright - I will have to discipline the staff - they are just not doing their job.'' .....

... and when my brother attended at the care home, he asked for the use of a wheel chair - to make it easier to take my mum to his car (( bear in mind that mum normally uses a walking frame to support her... The member of staff said a wheelchair wasn't necessary - because '' she can walk alright '' My brother said he nearly had a fit - and reminded the staff member that mum had fallen and broken her wrist - whilst '' walking alright.''...........
    ......... you couldn't make it up !

mum is now re-plastered and back at the ( care ) home....... and I'm looking forward to some sleep tonight.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    brb likes this.
  14. alwaysright

brb likes this.
  15. alwaysright

So - when can I be in the same room as my family or friends ???????? .................... that's if they remember me ! I recently sent a passport style photograph of myself to my brother, via my phone - just to remind him... he wasn't best pleased - told me that I should have put a health warning before I sent it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56617667

According to the science - We will have more chance of being killed crossing the road - than of dying from / with Covid once we've had the vaccine.

I think that, if he was honest, Boris will admit to making mistakes in the early days -- which might have made him ultra-cautious in recent months... I will applaud the fact that he took a gamble with the vaccines - and appears to have won. The UK are the beneficiaries of a better vaccine roll-out than most of Europe --- and, I do understand ( to a degree ), a need to take reasonable care until we've all had our jabs......... after this, Boris cannot expect people NOT to socialise as per ( what was ) normal.
    I've not had a sniffle / cough or STD for well over a year - because I've been wearing a full-body condom, and keeping miles apart from anyone else !! - I don't like catching a cold from the next person - but - that is a small 'risk' that everyone takes when we socialise --- or ---

...you just dig a hole in the ground, jump in, and curl up and die ( from sheer boredom ! ) If the science behind the vaccines, is as brilliant as is claimed, there is no reason why we can't revert back to pre March 2020.
    Boris needs to quit whilst he is ahead - otherwise there'll be more scenes a-la-Bristol in every quarter of the UK.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  16. alwaysright

Gary ( I hate Spurs ) Neville !.......... or as I know him; Gary ( hypocrite ) Neville !
    G ( IhS ) N is one of the self-serving creeps employed by Sky and BT - who hypocritically criticised the possibility of an ESL (( because it would be bad for English Football - but was happy to take ridiculous money during a playing career financed by Sky - which has killed off nearly everything outside of the English Premier)).... and is happy to take his huge amount of money for the continued monopoly of English Football by Sky & BT (( both of which have continued to destruct English football - outside of the Premier League. ))
    GN, has a reasonable football brain - but - he embarrassed himself in 'familiar' fashion today - at the end of the Spurs v Wolves game. He was asked to nominate the Man-of-the-match ............. You have to bear in mind that Spurs won comfortably ( if not needing to be spectacular ) Wolves lost 0-2.... The goals were scored by Kane (obviously), and by Hojbjerg - who assisted the Kane goal.
    GN stated that the MotM was a choice between Coady ( Wolves defender ) (( part of a defence that lost the game )), and Hojbjerg... GN 'appreciated' that Hojbjerg had scored and had an assist - but - the vote went to the player in the defence of a side that lost the game.........................

........ did I mention that Neville has not made a secret of his 'dislike' of Tottenham ---- probably as much as I hate hypocrites

grumpygit and brb like this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

I agree with Gary Neville's outburst over the so called big six, but like you it has also not escaped my attention regarding his business dealings. I thought it quite shameful regarding the previous sacking of a Salford manager, and the way he seems to think he has a right to buy Salford success in the way that he has. Just because he owns a lower league club, does not mean he understands us.

grumpygit and alwaysright like this.
  18. alwaysright

What's the point of having Amazon Prime ? I suppose you're going to say that it's ME who is stupid !

Yesterday, there was (likely) going to be nobody indoors to receive 2 parcels from Amazon.... I had given (online) delivery instruction to leave the parcels with a (specific) neighbour - taking care to instruct that my 'nutty' neighbour was NOT to be used.

I was first to arrive home - and found ONE of the parcels ( a TV wall bracket ) had been left on my doorstep..... ( for which no signature had been given as proof of receipt. )

When I opened my front door, I saw a Royal Mail 'calling card' on the floor. It stated that they had been unable to deliver a 2nd parcel - because it was too big to fit through the letter flap !!! .... I was instructed to attend at my local sorting office for collection.... ( thanks for that - it would have been less hassle if I had had made my purchase at a local supermarket. ).
    My enquiries established that Amazon had 'sub-contracted' the deliveries to Royal Mail - due to an overload of business !.... Presumably Amazon had failed to give my delivery instructions - but - the real mystery is.....

how could the Postman leave one parcel on the doorstep - for anyone to steal ( and advertising that the house is 'unoccupied' -- '' PLEASE -feel free to burgle ''), and yet, the idiot didn't leave the 2nd parcel because it was too big.............. I can tell you something that wasn't too big - the postman's brain!

.....I didn't want EITHER parcel left on my doorstep. I would rather collect both parcels from the sorting office - than to have my sense of humour tested ( THAT is going to be bad enough when I to have to watch Ehmer lumping the ball -- probably on bloody ifollow - whilst being compelled to wear a mask -- probably best placed over my eyes ) - -

-- What's the point of having Amazon Prime ? -
    about as much a point as the 'privileges' I'll get get if I pay another £ 100 to join the 1893 Club (( there's more chance of Ehmer being picked by Joey Barton. ))

19. brb

brb CR250

Morning mate, I'll assume they used different couriers. Thus different sets of rules.

I know on Amazon when checking out, you can select all your parcels to come together at the same time, but if one of the suppliers is using a different courier such as Royal Mail, then you are pretty much knackered.

Rules of the online jungle I'm afraid bruv...

please log in to view this image

20. alwaysright

brb - don't be lazy - read my posts properly ! I said that I made enquiries - Amazon had given the deliveries to Royal Mail (( hence my question regarding the futility of having 'Prime.')).... and that both parcels were given to the same postman -- the idiot chose to leave one parcel on the doorstep - because it was too big to go through the letter box- yet, with the other parcel, he realised it was too big etc etc ( why did he not see that the first parcel also, was too big etc etc. ) --- I reckon Homer Simpson could have worked it out a lot quicker.......

...... and one reason why I give specific delivery instructions to Amazon, is to 'ensure ' that the courier / postman does NOT knock on my neighbour - whose antics lately have been nothing short of criminal harassment - and so outrageous that I can't even repeat them here......
    ...... and whilst appreciating that I am an idiot - there I was at 9am this morning scouring the internet for the EFL fixtures ........... ( released next Thursday)

brb likes this.