1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Idiot - Stupid - whatever... they were all out there yesterday, having one last purge before lockdown ! ....... You've got nothing better to do for a month - get yourself a cuppa and a couple of biscuits - sit down and have a laugh at my expense.

I
    have always been amazed at the poor standard of driving..... People failing to do the basics - like Stopping at a STOP junction... I was driving on the main road, approaching a STOP junction on my left. I saw a car approach the junction from that road. As it got to the stop line, the driver had his turned to his left ! He didn't bother to stop his vehicle - even AFTER it had overshot the STOP line by at least two metres. He then turned his head , in my direction.... The look of panic was now clearly discernible... I suspected that, I would have to be the one to avoid a collision. There was a car close behind me -so I couldn't chance an ''emergency'' stop...... Luckily, no traffic was coming in the opposite direction - which allowed me to 'swerve' across' the road. The idiot emerging from the side road was now lucky not to be 'broad-sided' by the car following me - which had to brake sharply....
    ...... 'Look Right. ... Look Left...Look Right again is not just for pedestrians !

Having negotiated this nonsense - we still had not arrived at the supermarket, when we encountered another idiot on the road --- although he did have some 'mitigation.'

Whenever I see a temporary obstruction ( roadworks etc ), on my side of the road, the road signs have ( thus far ), ALWAYS shown 'priority' to be given to opposing traffic ( it makes sense ).... Yesterday, a few yards after nearly being taken out by the driver ''above'', I came across roadworks - in the opposite lane of my road. I was amazed to see that the road sign showed that priority was to be given to opposing traffic. ... and, as there were three or four cars coming, and just the other side of the roadworks, I duly stopped. ( in the middle of my lane .) The cars in the opposite direction then started - (only just ),to go around their obstruction.... The idiot driving his car behind me must have thought that I had abandoned my car in the middle of the road ((most times, he might have been correct - about other motorists ! ), ... and started to 'overtake' me -- and in doing so, created a lovely little traffic chaos - especially as the car, behind him, had positioned itself , behind mine - and with all the cars coming onto my lane, from the other side of the roadworks - - we had a fun couple of minutes - whilst drivers did a 'Mexican stand-off' .... with me, piggy in the middle.........

...... and even at the shops, we weren't spared stupidity.......

When Mrs Alwaysright and I go to the supermarket, we invariably use the self-scan tills.... Yesterday was no different. When we tried to pay - Mrs. A wanted to use a £5 coupon on her phone app --- which was scanned successfully - BUT - as ever, the machine then asked for the coupon to be 'inserted' ( I know which orifice ! ) ... but - that is not possible with phone app coupons. I then called over the staff in the tills area - and explained our position. I asked '' Can you cancel the request to insert the phone coupon? (--- this must happen before the machine goes to the payment screen...) The 'operative' said '' I don't know how to do that - nobody's shown me !'' -------- was she married to a plumber by any chance? ..... Anyway, she proceeded to press just about every button on my till - which eventually returned to the payment screen - and credit card was 'inserted.'...... What is the point in having a member of staff left with the responsibility to operate a piece of equipment - without adequate training---- in this instance, the supermarket in question gave the poor woman ' very little help.'

.... I hope you didn't let your drink go cold.... and put the rest of the biscuits away - you 'll get fat enough over Christmas.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    grumpygit likes this.
  2. alwaysright

Hold fire with those biscuits............ I'm not done yet !

I've tried to update my Southern Water meter readings - online - but -- it won't let me ! I can login, and do everything else -except submit meter readings -- SWA online service defaults to a page where it asks me to update my details..... so - I tried. I entered my customer number - then my Payment Reference - but this then told me that the account was closed (( I wouldn't mind so much - if I wasn't handsomely in credit. ))
    I contacted SWA - who told me that my Payment Reference had changed - and provided a different one -- but this too said the account was closed -- so - I called SWA - who confirmed the different Payment reference number - and asked me to try again --- and - like an idiot - I did try again........... You're ahead of me - aren't you ?

I again called SWA. This time they not only confirmed that my account was not closed - but- that the Payment Reference number had NOT changed !! Forgive me for beginning to go mad..... Of course, I got the answer to which I have become all too familiar, over the last week or so... '' I don't know why it's doing that. '' <grr>
    .... and I can honestly say that I have not sworn - once ((( hundreds of times )))

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    grumpygit likes this.
  3. alwaysright

Is it New Year's Eve ?......... you'll be forgiven for thinking so - when you see the News tomorrow .... .... and - I bet I'm not wrong !

You won't need to wonder why the Coronavirus infection rate has escalated lately... There'll be pictures and videos of irresponsible idiots - all tanked up and pushing their tongues down each others throats ** during the last night before the lockdown........... - guess what many more thousands of people will be getting for Christmas ? ... These cretins need to go to the back of the vaccine queue !

** I'll make do with Mrs. A -- if I can get her drunk enough ! (( actually, I shouldn't be making a joke )).... There's nothing wrong with having a few drinks - but - do it responsibly.

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

FB_IMG_1604394894547.jpg
    please log in to view this image

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    itstimupnorth, brb and alwaysright like this.
  5. alwaysright

Post of the Year ?

well done, grumpygit - I won't contest it this year ..... and hope to be alive for next year's award !

grumpygit likes this.
  6. alwaysright

Ole.........(( I'm sorry - I'm too lazy to print the whole name - with that work ethic I should be a Man Utd player ! ))

Ole (etc) is bleating on - about Man Utd having to play a match on Thursday night - and again on Saturday afternoon...... So - what's that - about 3 hours of kicking a ball ( with few touches for EACH player ) -WOW...... it's as well they get paid hundreds of thousands of £££££££££££££££££ every week.......

.... unlike, for example, NHS staff - working 12+ hours every day - in an extremely physical and stressful environment.

Ole - you make me sick with your whinging.

Resurgam and grumpygit like this.
  7. alwaysright

8. alwaysright

Sod the Planet -- let's cut down another forest !
    My brother and I have recently decided to sell a property which we jointly own.... My solicitor is conducting the 'logistics.' She needed my brother to provide identity documents - and was prepared to accept them -- after being certified by a solicitor, to her office-- by the magic of email. -- which is quite handy, because my brother lives in Gillingham -- whereas I don't -- and he didn't fancy the 100 mile journey - to meet my solicitor.

So, my brother went to a solicitor, local to him. He produced appropriate identity documents - BUT - the solicitor than refused to help. He refused to use the email of my solicitor - to send an attachment / file, with certification! This dinosaur claimed that he 'couldn't' send an email - he only had a fax machine - I think it was made by Beta Max ! (( I think that'll be lost on a lot of people.))........... and, even then, this solicitor refused to use the fax machine for the exercise....

... Instead, he insisted on photo-copying the documents a total of 4 times - then handed them to my brother - for him to send by post...... and thereby causing a ridiculous delay in the reception of them by my solicitor --- that's if the postman can get a reply at the door -- the offices have had to close due to 'isolating' by a member of staff - and won't be open for at least a week.,,,,, and the carbon footprint in this procedure is quite disgusting ------

.......... we need our trees - there's plenty of coffins yet to be made - for all the idiots who celebrated ( a-la-New Year's Eve ), on 4th November !

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    brb likes this.
  9. brb

brb CR250

You'd be surprised how many dinosaurs still exist, add data protection to the equation and it can get ridiculous.

I'd probably have taken pics with my smart phone (android) and sent via email that way.

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Minister for Small Business, Consumers and Labour Markets)

Paul Scully MP

I needed a double take, then I realized the spelling. :emoticon-0136-giggl

11. alwaysright

VAR would not have allowed it !
    Watching Tipping Point... One of the questions was about the Owl & the Pussycat -- and asked '' By the light of which ....'' -- At this point, a contestant jumped in early, and gave her answer ''Moonlight.''
    The presenter refused to accept the answer --- because he told the contestant that the full question was going to ask for the name of the celestial body - from which the light was used for the 'dance.' ( not 'moonlight' )---- WELL - that's not right --- The light actually comes from the Sun - and is reflected by the Moon - which does NOT have any of its' own light................... and it got worse -

The next question asked for the name of the country from which the cheese, gouda originates..... One of the contestants presses his buzzer - and answers '' Holland.'' - which was accepted !! WRONG ! -- Holland is a district of the country which is The Netherlands !.................

......... I told you earlier - I 've got too much time on my hands - and, of course, I'm alwaysright

12. alwaysright

Nice '' work '' - if you can get it !...........does it make what Dominic Cummins did seem not so bad ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...ce-William-begin-three-day-UK-train-tour.html

..... WORK !! - don't make me laugh.... I'm not 'anti' royal, but - it's not actually a real job - and basically living off tax-payers money (( with fancy council houses as part of the deal .))..

... Mr. & Mrs Windsor could just say that they're driving up to Scotland to test their eyesight !

I suppose I'll now have to watch my back - next thing I'll know, is I'm in the Tower of London - waiting to have 14 lbs of ugly fat detached from the rest of me...... that may hinder my ability to see to drive !

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  13. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You don't need to listen to it all, but catch the last couple of minutes where he has a subtle (maybe not so subtle)
    swipe at Macron.

14. alwaysright

Deal or no deal ?....... Boris / the UK won't win !
    When 52% voted to leave the EU, did they really think that the UK would be allowed to leave -- and take their ball home with them ? Did the Brexiteers think that the UK would suddenly get everything without any conditions from the EU? Does the UK expect that the EU won't protect their interests ?

I never wanted the UK to enter the 'Common Market.' I could see that the financial burden on the UK would probably outweigh the benefits of joining. Having 'joined up,' we became subject to all sorts of legislation over the years - which has meant that we now rely heavily with trading with other EU countries.... and if we expect that to continue, the UK will have to make difficult compromises - such as with fishing etc.

We have been able ( and compelled ), to trade with EU countries because the rules of the EU has 'protected' the interest of the UK, along with the other members... BUT, the UK decided that it wanted to leave the system. There was ( to my mind ), distorted agenda by some misinformed and delusional sections of the public, to justify ' Brexit.'.... such as taking back control of our borders --- How's that coming along ??

Did pro-Brexiteers think that the UK could have all of the benefits of being in the EU, AND all of the benefits NOT being in the EU -- without the EU saying: '' Non ?'' I can understand that Boris is having a difficult time to impose his will on the EU... I can understand his position regarding the 'fishing' war with the EU -- but he will have to negotiate and both sides need to compromise --- otherwise I believe that everyone loses ! Alas, I don't see a satisfactory outcome - they 've not managed to settle differences in 3 years - it's not going to happen in the next 16 days...

I fully expect a ''No Deal'' outcome. The UK and the EU will have to live with the situation..... but -- If the UK is to be outside the EU, it should take total control of its' destiny and rules - the UK should NOT continue to be 'governed' or bound by ANY legislation applicable to countries in the EU.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    grumpygit likes this.
  15. alwaysright

Campaign for grumpygit...... lend your support !

I feel that grumpygit deserves a reward - for his services to this forum...... He is usually the first to post the excuses that the Gills manager has given for the latest defeat. Grumpygit sometimes lays out the foundations for the drivel that the manager will spout before the ball hits the back of our net !.....

I feel that grumpygit should have a thread dedicated to him -- something along the lines of '' grumpygit's ( Gills manager ) grumbles '' -- anyone could use the thread to vent their spleen ....
    ....The only thing is that I'd probably ruin it by moaning louder than our manager.

16. alwaysright

Johnson - making it up as he goes along ! ...... don't get me wrong - I wouldn't want his job

Yesterday, Prime Minister Johnson gave a media address - which referred to school closures. During the broadcast he stated that schools were perfectly safe ( at ALL times - let alone just for return by pupils next week. ) - I suspect that the claim about 'safety' of school environment may have been a throwaway comment !

Mr. Johnson also reminded the public for the need to take precautions - especially relating to social distancing during New Year celebrations --- which I totally understand and will, reluctantly accept - but -

Does Mr. Johnson not understand that our schools have circa 30 (+ ) pupils in each class - all from 30 (+ ) different families and respective bubbles -- meaning that each of the 30 (+) pupils in each class have come into direct, or indirect contact with hundreds of people in our communities - and that is before each of the pupils go into the playground to mix with the kids from the other classes !.......

..... So, a rhetorical question arises - why is it not safe for people in Tier 4 to have so much restriction on contact - at any time - let alone over Christmas & New Year, but, apparently it is safe for our children to have direct contact with hundreds of their peers and indirect contact from everyone and his dog ?? --

Why ? --- because our schools, regrettably, are NOT a 'safe' environment for our children - when it comes to the transmission of Coronavirus..... we need to have a circuit break - for about a month - to help with reducing the spread of the infection. Lost time in education can be clawed back - from February until July the school day could be extended by one 'period', and the next half term can be suspended - and / or the Summer holiday time can be put back a week etc...

grumpygit likes this.
  17. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Always, it would seem that you are having trouble understanding simple facts, Our children are in a safe environment at school, there is no record of any becoming ill and dying.
    The parents, grandparents, teachers who die having been infected by the little darlings, doesn't make the school unsafe for children.

18. alwaysright

grumpygit - BSG once accused me of being pedantic - Well, maybe you might be a little guilty of the same ! I am fairly sure that you knew I didn't actually mean that the school 'building' is an unsafe environment - with regards to transmission of Coronavirus -- you know I meant the inhabitants of the school building --- but -- as we are always being reminded - the virus can be transmitted by cross-contamination from inanimate objects and communal surfaces.... that includes the school building.......

...... now what is the next hair that you'd like to split ?

grumpygit likes this.
  19. alwaysright

They should have said that they were only driving ( 5 'LOCAL' ) miles to test their eyesight !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-55560814

I find the actions of the ladies 'reasonable' - unlike that of the police --- especially when NO 'specific' law was broken............ but don't take my word for it -ask Dominic Cummings.

Can't see Derbyshire police getting much assistance from the public - so much for their guidelines to deploy the four Es approach to 'enforcement.'

brb likes this.
  20. alwaysright

On your bike Boris....... or - as he would put it: '' Do as I say - not as I do. ''

So, you've probably heard, the other day, two women were given £200 fines by Derbyshire Police - they had driven - separately, 5 miles to take a socially - distanced walk. The police claimed that the women had driven too far for their exercise.... (( there is NOTHING in law to prevent their actions. ))

At the weekend, Boris Johnson was seen in the Olympic Park - exercising on his bike. This is 7 miles from Westminster (( Downing Street. )) - You will tell me that there is nothing in law to prevent Mr. Johnson from travelling 7 miles for is exercise.

I await to see if Mr. Johnson will be issued with a retrospective fine by the Police - for not breaking a law that doesn't exist......... and why haven't Derbyshire Police torn up the tickets given to those women ? ... If it was me, I will now be taking all sorts of litigation for abuse of authority. .... The Derbyshire officers are guilty of attempting** to pervert the course of justice.

** (( In law, you can only be guilty of attempting to pervert the course of justice - NOT actually 'perverting' it !