1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. brb

brb CR250

I doubt we will ever hear the postmans version of events. I used to have parcels thrown into my garden, the gate was locked to gain access to the property. I had CCTV cameras, I could have made the same fuss. Maybe the postie has done it on a regular basis, but because Mr Homeowner was home on this ocassion he got caught, maybe the wife was too frightened to tell her man of the house, she'd previously agreed to the postman thowing any parcels over as the gate is generally locked....but we will never know, because newspapers only print one version of events.

Afterall why is the homeowner filming the street, and the public highway. I read an article recently stressing concerns over Ring doorbells, as they capture images of anyone under the age of 13. The FBI in America have uncovered (by accident) while on other investigations, serious misuse of Ring doorbells, being used to monitor police activity.

I don't think it's wrong to challenge the use of these devices, rather than sleeping walking into trouble or big brother and it's always under the disguise of 'well if you have nothing to hide.' No, I haven't got anything to hide, I just don't want constant infringement of my civil liberties.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  2. brb

brb CR250

It's not the point, the postman could lose his job, captured by a homeowner cctv camera and given to the media, to serve what purpose. Didn't the article state he didn't want to get postie in trouble....hmm read the comments, that challenged the homeowners intentions.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb
    The postman got it badly wrong.... why should he not face a consequence ? He can plead whatever mitigation he might think will work to save his job.......... but his actions are, imho, so outrageous, that I doubt that this is the first time he has 'tossed his load'
    He knows the T & C of his employment - and what might happen if he commits acts of gross misconduct, or behaviour likely to discredit his employers.......
    ....... The fact of the matter is - the postman is /(was) lazy. I have a good friend who is a postman - he states that it is a real hassle when he has parcels to deliver - and even more of a hassle if the homeowner is not at home - and there is no suitable way of leaving the parcel -- because the parcels have to be returned to their sorting office -and recorded for collection -- this takes up much time etc -- after wasting time trying to find a willing neighbour and leaving a calling card......... for his sake, I hope he gets a chance to not repeat his stupidity.

4. brb

brb CR250

Like I say, you have made a judgement based on a cctv camera. Cameras don't tell the story of past events of any previous parcel deliveries to that address, maybe he was lazy, it clearly looks as though he was, but we will never know, because that's not how the media work.

5. brb

brb CR250

It's interesting that in the 60 comments on Kent Online, a couple of comments have alluded to the same as me, that the gate could be locked, especially if he is a regular postie to that address. Those comments also received the most down votes. <laugh>

6. alwaysright

brb - I know that you're not criticising me when you say that I am making assumptions based on a 'one-sided' video --- but --- I draw your attention to grumpygit's post - in which he mentions your signature line - where you clearly have made similar ''one-sided'' assumptions about the subject matter in the signature --- that is human nature --- and it will be the same 'human nature' that his bosses will have when they speak to the postman.
    I will point out that the evidence appears to be overwhelming -- probably because it is overwhelming. The postman will need to make a really 'special delivery' when he faces his disciplinary proceedings. ... If he can prove he wasn't being lazy, he's got nothing to worry about.

7. alwaysright

People - don't get distracted by the gates --- whether or not the gates were locked is irrelevant. The focus needs to be on the 'discus-thrower wannabee' ! - The postman was, at the very least, grossly unprofessional..... what's his next trick - opening letters to claim that the envelope was to thick to put through the letter box ?

8. alwaysright

...... could be worse --- I've just had an Amazon parcel 'delivered' --- I say delivered - -what I actually mean is left on my doorstep. OK the guy*rang my bell - but I was in the bathroom - and Mrs alwaysright was in the garden - and didn't hear the bell. The guy then left without waiting for anyone to collect the parcel---------- I'm not surprised-- it's happening all the time just lately .

* I don't know the gender of the deliveryperson - it might be a Royal Mail postman - moonlighting.

9. brb

brb CR250

I draw your attention back to the footage... https://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/watch-as-lazy-postman-hurls-parcel-30ft-into-garden-233665/

The Ring doorbell is on the outside of the gate, not at the front door. The reason, I suspect the gate is locked!

The home owner confirms this by stating '“But he didn’t even ring the intercom. He just threw it.'

But the postie never tried the gate eitther, why? I suspect he knew it was locked!

Read the story again but this time with an open mind. Make an assumption of innocence rather than guilt, while reading.

Was the homeowner actually even home!? He received a notification, that alerted him someone was there, he could have been anywhere, with a notification on his phone.

The homeowner went on to state...Mr Cooke says other delivery workers have either used the intercom system to gain entry to the front garden, or simply place parcels carefully over the gate.

Hang on here, so place it over the gate, rather than throw it, so the Postman was NOT lazy, he knew the set up of the household. Which means @alwaysright you are WRONG! The postman at worst, threw a parcel rather than place it over the gate, for someone to later steal, but he was NEVER lazy :)

Actually by throwing the parcel rather than placing it over the gate, he probably saved someone from getting arrested for theft by a homeowner who has nothing better to do, than go running to the media.

10. alwaysright

A pig might save the postman's bacon......... if only it could fly and speak !

brb - you may be correct in assuming that I have a 'narrow' mind regarding the circumstances.... However, I am entitled to my opinion - which is as a result of focussing on the 'mechanics' of his reckless & unprofessional actions -- even you say that he merely threw the package - without checking the gate or using the Ring doorbell ( that's why I called him a lazy 'tosser'. ) I will not apologise for that.

I admire your compassion for the postman. I will concede that I was wrong to not express my sympathy for , and certain empathy with his predicament..... unfortunately life is full of problems. I can assure you that I understand that the postman may have a whole range of mitigation........ so - just to show you that I do have a vivid imagination ( rather than just accepting the evidence on face value ), let me see if this is what really happened....

1. Postman approaches the house with a parcel. 2. A locked gate prevents access to the front door. 3. The postman uses the Ring doorbell to gain access ( postman knew this protocol ). 4. (( No.3 didn't happen )). 5. The postman has a long-standing, informal agreement with homeowner - to carefully lower parcels over the gate onto the path/patio. 6. 'Carefully' didn't happen.... No matter - because; 7. The homeowner keeps a pig in the grounds. 8 The postman says the homeowner allows parcels to be recklessly & unprofessionally tossed over the gate - because the pig will fly up into the air and catch the parcel . 9 No damage is done to the parcel -- until the damned pig tries to get its' snout into it .............

I'm not sure if Royal Mail's Employment Tribunal will accept this mitigation ( excrement ) - but in my dreams, I am convinced that is what happened - but what do I know - I believe that pigs can fly - and that I wasn't the reckless and unprofessional lazy tosser - (( despite any mitigation ))..................... and, maybe if I'm still 'wrong', you'll do me the kindness of showing me some compassion.

brb and grumpygit like this.

11. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I have had an idea!
    If a postman can't deliver a parcel, he fills out a failure too deliver card, the card would allow you to re-arrange delivery, or collect the parcel from your local office.
    This would surly remove the need to throw parcels.

When giving my suggestion to the Post Office, imagine my surprise on hearing they already use this system.

brb likes this.
  12. alwaysright

grumpygit
    You do realise that brb will say that a calling card would have been pointless in this circumstance - due to the locked gate ( was it locked ? no good asking Mr.Lazy Tosser ) -
    I do know for a fact ( from my unlazy postman friend ), that there are some addresses where delivery is deemed 'impossible' for a variety of reasons..... and if Mr.Homeowner makes it impractical to deliver, or to leave a card, then the postperson is permitted to take back the item to the sorting office - and the sender informed of the issue..... mail / parcels can be left at the local sorting office for the recipient to collect..

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

You overlooked something grumpy....if the gate is locked how is he supposed to deliver the out card, maybe he could fold it into an aeroplane, and aim it at the letterbox...now that would make good cctv footage. :cheesy:

alwaysright and grumpygit like this.
  14. brb

brb CR250

I read this after sending my reply to grumpygit. <laugh>

grumpygit likes this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

You're still WRONG....but your right about the pig, in the disguise of the home owner, surely this whole scenario is a case of pulled pork....ok I'll get my coat.

alwaysright and grumpygit like this.
  16. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

17. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I wonder if the gravity of what this man has done actually bothers him, he has travelled abroad and ignored the self isolation rules on his return, choosing instead to go out on a pub crawl with his mates and infect countless others.
    does the death of some of those people matter to him, is he so selfish that he can ignore the people who are suffering as a result of his attitude, I would like to think he does care, unfortunately I don't believe he does.

alwaysright and brb like this.
  18. brb

brb CR250

These are the sort of people the media ought to name and shame.

19. alwaysright

grumpygit - I cannot believe that you're so naive ! Surely you must know that we live in Yobland ? Our National Anthem is Fools Britannia !

20. alwaysright

The list would be longer than the Chairman's letter - I bet you haven't read ( all ) of it yet ?