1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I may be missing the point - but - this news really gives me 'the needle !'
    I have woken to the news hat nearly one million public sector workers are to receive a pay increase of up to 3.1% (( inflation is currently 0.6% ))

Whilst I don't begrudge the doctors and nurses in our hospitals receiving a bit extra - as a token of appreciation for their efforts during the pandemic -- why, exactly, are teachers getting more money ? Haven't the vast majority of them had an extra 3 months away from work ? -- and getting most of their pay -- in fact -- My sons employees say that they have been 'better off' under Furlough - because of not paying for travelling to work or for childcare !

The same pay 'award' has been given to dentists and General Practitioners!! -- Again - WHY ? - it's not as if you could go anywhere near one of their clinics.

......... I can't wait for next years' Council tax bill. ... I'll have to go back to back to school to learn how to pay it -without it causing me to be ill.

2. alwaysright

3. alwaysright

It beggars belief - in my opinion ( to which you, also, are entitled ! )
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-53514524

In MY opinion, it is be right and proper to recognise and reward the work of our NHS staff - and not just during this pandemic. I certainly have no wish to go anywhere near a hospital whilst the pandemic is still around --- and it has been really sad to see so many medical staff lose their lives to the disease they caught - probably from the very people whose lives they were trying to save -- but --

Is it really right and proper that the reward for the work of our NHS staff, is to encourage them to go begging ? - and why do they need to do so ? The article reveals an unhidden fact - that NHS staff have continued to be paid during the pandemic -- unlike many others in the country.

It is right that NHS staff are publicly acclaimed. It is wrong that they should embarrass themselves to beg for discounts or freebies from businesses which are struggling to stay alive - and which have not had the luxury of 1% income during the lockdown - let alone 100% full pay......... that is my opinion - and I am sorry if any of you think that my opinion beggars belief !

4. alwaysright

Free Tv licences.
    From tomorrow, free licences stop for most over 75 year olds - disgraceful !
    The BBC claim it's costing them £750 million..... How much money are they wasting - sending correspondents all over the world - to give us pointless information ---- and how much does it cost to present the News? Is it necessary for all the crap that is behind the presenter?
    The BBC are meaner Scrooge.

5. alwaysright

Who would have thought that it got dark in the evening ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/53833613
    Finally - Cricket is waking up to the fact that an 11am start to a game is far too late . When bad light stops play, what is the point of hoping to add 'lost' time at the end of the next days play - when the light may well be worse ?
    In a a sport that is at the mercy of the weather, why does cricket have to start (almost) in the afternoon ? I couldn't be bothered to watch the last Test v Pakistan due to the impact of the weather -- and was frustrated that Cricket couldn't move the start times - to try to achieve a positive outcome for the Test.
    ...... enjoy the Gills' fixtures - out at 9 am today - if it was cricket, that would be 9pm !

6. alwaysright

Despite gioblues...............and the chief urine extractor - brb
    I have had one of the best weeks of my life... It has been filled with good news, after good news - followed by great news, then greater news. I won't give you details - but the Brilliant news has come from all sorts of directions - - - of course it could come crashing down when the Gills leftback ( or O'Gilvie ) is made captain...................... I don't care - I'm having such a wonderful week - I don't think even a steward can upset me............ HAPPY DAYS !

7. alwaysright

Just letting everyONE know
    I'll be reading the 'Football's coming home' & ' ifollow details thread' sometime next Tuesday - I won't have time before then - I'll be too busy rearranging the seating in my home.

brb likes this.
  8. brb

brb CR250

<laugh>

9. alwaysright

The quick and the dead ! ... ( I got question 6 wrong ).......... but I'll be damned if I'm just going to stop driving to let pedestrians to cross -- they can wait until it's safe to do so (( like it's always been )) - or find a pedestrian crossing - or get their own car -or turn around and go home !
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-54027461

10. alwaysright

brb likes this.

11. alwaysright

12. brb

brb CR250

Yeah, i can remember seeing that story, it was a brilliant throw, when you see where it landed. Although I've got a question on the home owners legality in bringing a complaint against the postman.

Now the parcel wasn't delivered in the spirit of what would be classed as a respectable delivery service, however, putting that to one side, as the post office are to investigate the complaint...

My question is, does the camera not breach it's permitted area of coverage by filming him the opposite side of the gate and his vehicle on the public highway, especially as I'm not aware of him having actually breached any laws, unless you count the mishandling of mail.

I know it's common place these days for private CCTV to be used for criminal charges purposes, but I thought outside of that, the home owner was in breach of the cameras legal use, especially by giving the footage to a local newspaper. Surely it has to be a data breach, especially as I guess any disciplinary or dismissal proceedings would surely have still been outstanding.

grumpygit likes this.
  13. alwaysright

Sportmanship !
    Watching the ODI v Australia... Mitchell Starc bowling to Woakes.... as he runs in, Rashid ( non strikers end ), starts to walk down the pitch (( before Starc has released the ball ))... Starc pulls up - points at Rashid and warns him to stay in the crease !
    Starc was perfectly entitled to ''stump'' Rashid -- but -- showed incredible sportsmanship ------- excellent manners Mr. Starc.....
    ........ a humbling lesson for plenty of cheating footballers.

grumpygit and brb like this.
  14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I think the law allows you to take stills or video when a person is on the public highway, it is not considered a breach of privacy unless you are on private property and the photographer has to take extra ordinary measures to get the shot.

brb likes this.
  15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

16. brb

brb CR250

I understand what you are saying mate, but my interpretation of the law is different. What I'm referring to is not photographs or even video evidence in it's purest form, I'm talking about CCTV images, and they are subject to data protection laws.

https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/domestic-cctv-systems-guidance-for-people-using-cctv/

So far we have only heard the property owners version of events, but already the local paper has put up the video that has basically played out judge and jury. For all we know, it was their regular postie and the gate is normally locked, but on that ocassion it wasn't because the customer was home.

Quote;

• You should remember that your use of a domestic CCTV system may be appropriate, but publicly uploading or streaming footage of identifiable people would need more justification. In most cases it would not be justifiable.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  17. alwaysright

I'm sure that the Nuremberg trials were not prejudiced by any footage of the atrocities committed in the Holocaust........after all, we wouldn't want anyone ' innocent ' being brought to justice - especially if your postman's name is Mr. Hitler !.........

........ I know that I'm going to upset some people when I say ; '' If you're doing nothing wrong - you have nothing to worry about being on camera. '' --- it's what happens all the time when we go into our town centre - or even our local corner store....
    and why shouldn't we name and shame ? ..... With the situation relating to this postman -- I cannot believe that there is one good reason for chucking the package over the gate -- he was wrong - NOT - the homeowner................ unless, of course you don't believe that the Holocaust ever happened --- but then, you probably think the Earth is flat !

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    grumpygit likes this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

CCTV, Video door bells, Dash cams, Smart phones, and they are just the privately owned systems, take a look at youtube and see just how much data protection laws mean.
    The police could get involved but why would they, every incident nowadays, the police ask for witnesses and/or video/camera footage, of what went on.

alwaysright likes this.
  19. brb

brb CR250

It's not my point, whether something is an accepted fact, don't mean it's the right side of the law, ask Boris about that. <whistle>

The postie has already been tried by cctv and newspaper, in my personal opinion that's a breach of data.

20. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Look at your tag line.
    "Bog roll, queuing at B&Q and going to a packed Bournemouth beach the three essential ingredients of human survival'"
    Are you basing your opinion on video/CCTV footage you might have seen, have you convicted these people from CCTV newspaper stories.
    <whistle>

alwaysright likes this.