1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Well, grumpygit - road safety isn't always in one's control ! - DISCLAIMER - this is a boring story !

Mrs alwaysright & I have just come up to Gillingham - after visiting family in Thanet. We'll stop over at my mum's - before I go to Gills tomorrow - and then we'll return home (( is it boring enough so far ? )).

As we came off the M2 at junction 4, the slip road is two lanes wide. It leads to a roundabout which gives you the choice to go straight ahead ( basically a left turn ), to return onto the London- bound carriageway of the M2 ( why would you need to do so ? ), or to go all the way around - to go onto the coastbound side of the M2 -- BUT -- MOST traffic will be turning ' right' - to head towards Gillingham-- and -- MOST traffic would choose to position themselves in the 'right-hand' lane. This was the scenario in front of me - and I duly joined the 'right-hand ' lane ( behind about 10 cars ).

What also happened was that there were a few motorists who 'raced' up the slip road, using the left hand lane -- but ultimately only intending to turn right at the roundabout........ Now - I know that this manoeuvre is 'lawful' ( but they do say that the law is an ass. ) The real reason for the ' left-hand-laners', is the impatience of the driver - and the need to jump the queue - regardless of any confusion or mayhem that may occur.

If the road around the roundabout was also two lanes wide, there wouldn't be a problem - BUT- only a few yards into the roundabout, the road (to the right ), dramatically narrows - into one lane width - before opening up again as you exit the roundabout down Hoath Way, towards Gillingham.

The fact that the road narrows doesn't seem to prevent motorists in the 'left' lane, from undertaking ( aggressively ), to try to get in front of as many cars as the pig-ignorant clot can possibly achieve. This is exactly what happened today - thankfully behind me - but - I had to be careful that both cars immediately behind me, were engaged in a mad form of musical chairs, and accelerating alongside each other ( and providing the music with their horns ) - before exaggeratedly swerving to avoid a collision - either with each other or me !

Sadly, I have seen the same incident repeated nearly every time I have used this roundabout - and the layout of the road will only result in chaos.

grumpygit likes this.
  2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

There is roundabout on the A226 (Gravesend/Rochester road) if travelling from the Medway into Gravesend the Lion Garage roundabout has 5 roads.
    Left, straight ahead, industrial area, right, Tight dogleg right, (have I won the prize for most boring post yet) if sitting waiting your turn to pull out you can't see the dogleg turn because some clown decided to put a sign in the way, in fact they put 4 signs neatly placed one on top of the other to ensure you can't see over or under it.

alwaysright likes this.
  3. alwaysright

grumpygit - I don't know this one - but - if the junction is a roundabout, surely one of the 4 signs will indicate this fact -- AND -- surely there will be a picture with 5 exits from which to choose- and if you know you need the 5th exit, it should be a simple case of just counting off the exits you pass ------ mind you that didn't do me any favours when I was in Miami - it was raining so hard, I couldn't actually see the exit roads off the roundabout on which I was driving - I guessed 'right' - then pulled over to allow the weather to improve ( five minutes later the sun was out and the road was dry ).... (boring rendition of a holiday experience)

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I use the roundabout a lot, I know exactly which exit to take, the problem is not being able to see to your right when pulling out on the roundabout, a recipe for disaster.

5. alwaysright

This story is a bit 'travel' related -- and today is a good day to recount it.
    My (non boring ), post, No. 1601, told you about my journey to Gillingham on Friday, What I didn't tell you was the nonsense I created before Mrs. alwaysright and I started our journey - and, as I 'treated' her on Mother's Day, she might just forgive me ((sometime next year)),

So, as we left the family we were visiting, I said we needed fuel for the car, We were very close to Tesco at Westwood Cross, and I decided to fill up. Upon entering the shop grounds, I then realised that this was the store that had part of its' roof ripped off in the storm of about 3 weeks ago. There was scaffolding and hoarding around the font of the shop ( although it was still open for business ). A large section of the car park had temporary metal fencing erected to 'loosely' cordon it off.

For what will later transpire, I need to say that the area that was cordoned off, served no purpose. It couldn't have been a safety feature - because - people were allowed to walk directly in front of the scaffolding, AND the 'disabled' & parent & child bays were unaffected ((unless H&S doesn't apply to these groups!)).

I went into the petrol station and did the business - then Mrs. alwaysrright decided that we (she), needed to 'get a couple of things for our journey' - and wanted to go into the store ! The thought of shopping made me instantly happy ( sometimes I tell lies ).

I drove to the main car park area. Because of the 'cordoned off area', there were fewer places available. When I say " cordoned off " -- the temporary fencing was only on two sides - AND - it didn't cover the dropped kerb of the pedestrian crossing at one end, nor the huge space between the adjacent bollards of the 'disabled' bays -- the ones through which you can drive a bus ! I decided to drive my bus through the gaps and park.

I should also point out that there were no signs to tell motorists that parking in the 'cordoned off area was prohibited (( now you know where this is going ).

We went into the shop - got what was 'needed', and a few minutes later returned to the car. At this point, a Tesco car park attendant approached us. He asked " How did you get your car in here." I decided that the question was a stupid one - so - you'll not be surprised when I tell you my reply; " My car has a steering wheel. I turned it a few times and eventually ended up here." I am fairly sure that this did not impress the chap. He said " Didn't you see the fences. You shouldn't be parked here." I said "Yes, I can see the fences- which are only on two sides. What I didn't see was any fences covering the gaps between the disabled bays through which anyone can drive into here - Nor did I see any signs that say that parking here is prohibited. " The chap got a bit louder - and I had obviously wound him up. He said " You must have driven over the kerb -you're not supposed to be here, you'll get a £70 fine." I replied " Can you point out the signs to tell me that fact? - and can I wish you a 'Happy Birthday' for Monday." ..... I can't understand why he stormed off, shouting " It's going to cost you £70."

I know I shouldn't have etc, etc - and you'll give me no sympathy for the crappy 'customer service' that I received -- but --I decided that ((( irrespective of the grief that I had given the poor chap ))) - who quite clearly was employed beyond his intellect ability, I was not going to tolerate being spoken to in a threatening manner that I can only assume was designed to intimidate rather than hope that he could get me to see reason.He certainly did not have a sense of humour that appreciated my level of sarcasm.

As he stormed back into the store, I got my mobile phone - I took a recording of the 'cordoned off' area, and the aforementioned 'gaps', and the lack of signage. I then went into the store and asked to speak to the duty manager. ........... I related the incident - including my 'flippant' replies. I admitted that I had been a little unhelpful - but, that did not give the car park attendant any right to become aggressive. I told the manager that the actions by the staff member were 1. unlawful due to the lack of signs. 2. Not within the remit of the staff - because the car park is 'independently' controlled. 3. Hardly an example of the Company motto ; ' every little helps' unless Tesco had decided to drop the first and last letters................................... Naturally the manager couldn't apologise enough - and I won't be getting a £70 fine (( I bet that's upset a few of you.)).......if you're going to argue with me, you had better be sure of your facts - because I'm alwaysright.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  6. brb

brb CR250

I suppose my first question would be how would they be able to issue you with the suggestion of a £70 fine, do they have the power to do that and if so on what basis?...I assume they would provide photograpic evidence by any CCTV cameras monitoring the area, but then you are touching on further legal obligations of accessing protected data. Generally when supermarkets issue car park fines, it is via NPR, hence no local 'Tesco Employee' intervention. So basically it is unwarranted and potentially illegal threats, in the sense if they had been carried out by accessing data, then my guess is the employee would not have been registered to do. I could be wrong, but to access CCTV data outside of general recording ie in a controlled manner of camera operation and review, i thought you had to be certified as you are controlling public areas. Maybe i'm wrong.

alwaysright likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

8. alwaysright

Well, brb - it was a case of an idiot versus an intelligent fool -- I can't help being a fool and causing mischief - especially when I know that I'm alwaysright.
    The poor chap was clearly out of his depth - a bit like the steward that you and I encountered at Wimbledon a couple of years ago. Neither had any clue. I was able to bamboozle the chap at Tesco -- without hardly 'trying.'

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

As Yosser would say; " Gis a job, I can do that."
    In a road near me, there is a housing development taking place. The road itself is off a main , A road ( one that is not too busy ). It's location should be perfectly capable of being found - in a map - let alone a satnav.

Since before Christmas, I have yet to see a contractor's lorry travel towards the site-- YET-- for all this time (All day, for 5 days a week ), there has been the same workman, dressed in Hi-Viz, at the junction of the side road of the site.
    This chap's job is to direct any contractor's lorries towards the site ! -- this is despite the fact that there is a huge sign attached to lamp post at the junction, with a big red arrow pointing down the side road, under the foot high letters alerting relevant drivers. There are also subsequent signs on later lamp posts, to tell drivers that they have gone past the turning. The same chap sits on a 'folding' seat - reading his paper, smoking a cigarette, drinking tea/coffee -- and in February's good weather, he was getting a suntan!

I go past the location a few times each day - and the same chap is still there - getting more bored than you are reading this sort of rubbish -- seriously, you could dress up a dummy to do the same job -- what a waste of manpower.

Check out the clip below - it is part of ' The Boys from the Blackstuff' - 'Yosser's Tale ( episode 4 ). It's a bit dated - but still funny. If you get a chance to see the whole episode, I promise you'll laugh - especially if you get to see the 'complete' scene in the church confessional box - I nearly wet myself the fist time I saw it.

10. alwaysright

.........and talking about jobs - we need REAL police - not jumped up little Hitlers !
    For the purposes of this post, I do not smoke. I do not condone litter, and I always wear my seat belt.

On the TV, Dominic Littlewood presents a program where he follows the exploits of 'officials' and workforce employed in the 'public sector' - - often these are community wardens. The program is always filmed during ' 9 to 5 ' hours ! Some of the episodes are actually quite good- and will show the investigative work conducted to determine the identity of offenders. I can appreciate that part of the programs. What I don't want to see, is Mr. Littlewood using the program as an excuse to act as a vigilante - to satisfy his need to address any disappointment he must have had in being too short to join the Police! I am also similarly unimpressed when the community wardens 'abuse' their authority.

So - what is it that gets to me ? -- Well - we often see Littlewood 'acting' - and running towards a moving vehicle - pointing a finger at the driver, and shouting at them; " Put your seat belt on." This is not clever. Potentially, it could cause an accident, by causing the driver to unnecessarily swerve, or to brake sharply as a reaction. Nor is the action of Mr.Littlwood lawful - it is NOT within his remit to act as an unofficial policeman. Perhaps if Mr. Littlewood had bothered to acquaint himself with the law relating to seat belts, he wouldn't shout at drivers - before knowing all the facts....... The first of which is; Does the driver have an exemption which allows them to not have to wear a seat belt. No.2 is the seat belt in working order - it could have become defective along the journey ( light bulbs do ! ). These are the sort of facts that real policemen would establish - to prevent them looking stupid when a driver appeals against a fixed penalty ticket -- and when the officer couldn't prove otherwise ! I don't work in the police - but I am sure that they could expand on my legal loopholes.

On other occasions, the program features litter. Sometimes it will show what efforts are being made to tackle things like illegal fly-tipping, This I understand and fully support. But sometimes (too often), the program will portray the real 'identity' of the pseudo-Nazis ! we all know that it's a question of how many tickets they can dish out. -- to basically 'law-abiding' people . I have connections with the Crown Prosecution Service. It beggars belief how many times real criminals can go unpunished before they are taken to court - AND-how many times the same real criminal will stand in the dock before any punishment is finally administered -but if you smoke - you'll find that it's not just cigarettes that are bad for your health - and you'll be in serious trouble if you cough your lungs out.

You see these '9 to 5' wardens skulking in corners - watching people having a cigarette.....and when the butt is stamped on -and the smoker walks away, these wardens leap out and pounce - and ££££, another £80 ticket has been given. Don't get me wrong -- I don't approve of the anti-social behaviour by the smoker- but - the action by the warden clearly tells me that they are not permitted to use discretion or commonsense. The recipient of the tickets do not exactly look as if they are 'real' criminals -and, they never get any 'slack' from the officials................. who we never see out in the streets at times when there is huge amounts of crap being dumped by the 'night-time economy.'............. instead, these heartless b-----ds will be out in the middle of the day and giving a ticket to the 80 year-old man who had to spit on the ground - because he was ill and choking ! I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it.............................. If anyone ever set alight that warden, I would be afraid to empty my bladder on him to extinguish the flames - he'd probably give me a ticket for urinating in a public place - Gis a job -I can do that .

11. alwaysright

12. brb

brb CR250

I first recognised the misdeamenours being handed out by local authroties a few decades back in Central London. CCTV operators back then in the City were handing out fines like coffetti in the post for the slightest of minor traffic violations. At the time I thought they could only get away with this in the Capital.

Sady though, like everything this evolved into one of the biggest cash cows ever to hit what on face value were generally law abiding citizens of the UK.

The cigarette butt was to become the main focus of attention for the little Hitlers that prowl our streets. Now don't get me wrong, litter is litter, it is unsightly and it is wrong, certainly in some Countries the fine would be even heavier.

But as you have pointed out, where are these little Hitlers of a night, when people are spewing up in our streets, fights a plenty, criminal damage, and the remains of kebabs and other takeaways scatttered everywhere along with any other rubbish they choose to discard.

It seems these days we are more prepared to spend money on little Hitler cash cows, including CCTV operators that in the main protect our wealthy global and corporate businesses. I haven't even got into our highways buzzing around with pretend emergency vehicles titled agencies, all and everything but real coppers, to catch real criminals or at the very least dangerous acts on our roads that could cost a life.

I'd like to say it is a sign i am getting too old, my fear is it is a sign we have become that big brother state and the most CCTV'd Country in the world.

Anyway at least i feel safer in my bed knowing that £80 butt fine is due to be doubled in the near future...Thank You God, i can sleep safely in the knowledge it's one less butt on the street, as long has the real police do not stop and search someone who might be carrying a real knife, now in the mad crazy world we live, that's a big no, no, on our politically correct little Island.

Maybe we need more yellow jacket brigades on our street, not the French kind, but the kind that virtually strip search me at every football ground I attend, I don't hear 'oh but my rights' groups complaining about them, and protecting my rights too.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    alwaysright likes this.
  13. alwaysright

and then grumpygit wonders why I am miserable ( at times ). My neighbour is back - big time !
    You'll know that I recently upset her - because I gave away £50 to a charity - to feed some starving children in Africa..............

Today, I was going to my garage - when my neighbour came out of her front door. I spoke to her, saying; ! "Good morning." She replied " Is it " -- I could tell that she still wasn't happy with me. I said " Well the sun is out - it's a lovely day to be alive." She responded "It might be for you." I said "Well, it's a great day for me to clean my car - which is what I'm going to do." .......... it was now that my neighbour 'started.'...........

She said " Have you seen the state of your back fence - it's disgusting." This genuinely confused me - especially as it had been cleaned and re-stained in the last month ( it actually looks very neat ! ). I asked my neighbour "What's wrong with it?" She said "The top of it is broken, and it looks disgusting." ...... I should have known better - but I decided to investigate - and went into my rear garden -- my neighbour went into her rear garden and said "Can't you see it- the top is hanging off !" ( it wasn't ). I had to peer, very hard at the top of my fence, before I saw that - in a couple of places, the top rail had 'lifted' off the base panel ----- when I say lifted -- I mean about one or two millimetres in three spots along its' length. I went up the rail, and had a good 'feel' of the rail -- it was comfortably secure. I said to my neighbour "It's pretty solid, and not going anywhere soon." My neighbour wasn't impressed. She said "I have to look at that - and it's disgusting." I then noticed that the top rail of my neighbours fence was similarly 'lifted' as was mine -- but decided not to mention it. I began to walk away - when my neighbour said "You don't care." I replied "I do care - about important things - like children starving in the World." ( ouch ! ).... I then went to my car and began to clean it............ of course my neighbour wasn't finished...

As I started to on my car, my neighbour approached me and said " Do you remember my hairdresser - she cost me £400 to get my loo fixed - because she had put a whole loo roll down the pan." I said " You've told me that you have had many hairdressers - so I don't know who you mean." She said "Yes you do - it was the one that used to come to you, once a week for a shag ." !!! -- (( subject of a previous thread -- and still untrue )). I almost laughed. I said to my neighbour "I'm sorry that your loo was broken by your hairdresser - but I don't think that I can be blamed for that." My neighbour said " It was your fault - she was visiting you - but you don't care - just like you didn't care when your sons ruined my garden." WTF !! -- my sons have never even breathed on her garden, let alone laid a finger or toe on it. I really don't know what the hell she was on about -I said "Well at least my sons come to see their parents."--------- she has alienated her sons - nobody from her family visit her .

My neighbour wasn't finished --------------- and for the purposes of the next part of this story ----- I shall disclose that my mum was born in 'close' mainland Europe. My neighbour then said "You don't care because you've got X blood in your body" ( making reference to my mum ). I stood there, speechless for a few seconds. I was in disbelief of this outburst. I asked her "Are you deliberately being racist ?" She replied "Yes." --------- I said no more - I refused to dignify her bigotry with a response.

I then resumed cleaning me car ------- and it's nice and shiny - until the next time I find biscuits crumbled all over it !! ( ( I bet you'd forgotten about that one !! ))

and then grumpygit wonders why I am miserable (at times)

14. alwaysright

And talking of racism - something more ridiculous than my neighbour !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47876650
    Does any fan of football (outside of California), think that the expression " Come on you whites", has anything to do with skin colour ? This is the sort of paranoid PC that actually creates a problem where none exists.............. I suppose with it being in California, it would be perfectly fine for me to have a number plate 'COYG' - the local vehicle registration department would think that the G stood for 'gays'.................. I wonder if the chap in the link has had a son in the Californian under nines team ?

brb likes this.
  15. brb

brb CR250

You think that is paranoid. I knew of someone who got in trouble in the States for asking for a black coffee! It just makes you think how much we have to modify wording for fear of offending someone. Although if i was a barista, i can't think of any reason why i would take offence to being asked for a white coffee....or even a milky one! I suppose we could substitute white for latte, but i don't think most Brits would understand or appreciate it, when i gave them a glass of milk instead of their caffe.

alwaysright likes this.
  16. brb

brb CR250

More on the topic of racism...

I saw the news yesterday regarding a song by Chelsea fans, although i say song more loosely a few words strung together. Those words being idenitified as racist, 'Salah is a bomber' - Now when i first heard/read this news, I didn't understand it or more so what it was reference too. Now maybe i'm just getting old and naive, but after a bit more research i found that Salah is a muslim. I had never ever made any connection with his beliefs or what his beliefs even were.

To be perfectly honest, my first thought regarding the term 'bomber' excluding the player name, was i'm sure there used to be a player in the past called 'bomber' - in my head the term back then was used to reference a great or good player.

So i looked into this further and remembered my thoughts were related to 'Der Bomber' - Gerd Muller who played for the German team in 1974 World Cup Final and scored the winninig goal (also 1970 team);

There was even one youtbube vid that featured his nickname;

It makes me wonder if Gerd Muller was profilic today if the term would now be regarded as detriment. Not forgetting back in 1970/74 it was less than 30 years after WW2 (German) if you wished to attach insult rather than respect to it.

I hasten to add i'm not lessoning the insult to Salah, but am probably highlighting the tide of change and how words can be construed for other purposes, or is it really much different from the days of the great Gerd Muller (Der Bomber).

17. alwaysright

This chap - Pat Roach was a wrestler-turned-actor, and known as 'Bomber' in Auf Wiedersehen Pet. I believe that he lived in Gillingham for a while.

Attached Files:

brb likes this.
  18. alwaysright

brb - you are naive ( as much as me ) !
    It is interesting that, with all the racism that exists, there doesn't appear to be any problem with the continued reference to WW1 & WW2 by sections of England 'fans'. History has taught us that very few 'Germans' were responsible - for so much evil that took place - and the vast majority shouldn't all be caste as Nazis -- just as much that very few Muslims are terrorists - not all Muslims - or just because somebody wears Muslim 'style'clothing, they must be wearing a suicide vest.

brb likes this.
  19. alwaysright

Political Correctness - shall we take it to the nth degree ?
    Apparently a new Law has come into effect - which makes it a criminal offence to 'Upskirt' (( taking photographs up-a-skirt )).
    Does anyone know if it applies only to offences against women** ? -- given that we live in a society where the word transgender is repeatedly being used.

** don't worry - it won't concern me - I may talk like an old woman - but I don't wear skirts

20. alwaysright

Another opportunity to screw Mr.Scally squandered !
    Today has been a day of mixed fortune for me -- it started with a double yolk egg --- doesn't happen often - but -curiously, in the week after I married Mrs. alwaysright, we had a whole box of double-yolk eggs.
    Later this morning, I realised that my Sky Sports subscription was due for renewal this month. I have been giving Sky hassle every time that the contract is due for renewal. I have simply refused to pay full price - and told them the most I was prepared to pay was half -- otherwise I would cancel and go elsewhere. Sky have capitulated every time.... including today - where they gave me all the channels for half price for 18 months. I told them that I wasn't prepared to be tied into an 18 month contract- and asked them to give me the deal without obligations on my part - they agreed ! It is quite a considerable saving..............
    so - why didn't I screw Mr.Scally ?
    Then I went to renew my season ticket -- to do it online --and I logged onto my GFC 'account.' It was then that I noticed that the price band of my ticket had been set at 'Senior Citizen' <grr> (( I have years to go before that happens ! )). The cost of renewing was shown as £305. ................ well, whilst I am quite happy to negotiate on price for my goods, my honesty** could not allow me to take advantage of a mistake -- so I phoned up the Club and told them of the situation. I did ask if they would like to meet me halfway ( between £355 and £305, being the real price of my ST, and the figure I could have paid ) - they were more hardball than Sky !

** it really is my only remaining redeeming quality - that and my humility<laugh>