1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

brb likes this.
  2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Bleddy is a locals word emphasising the badness in a statement. i.e. you aren't just deluded you are bleddy deluded which is even stronger. Bit like dreckly. You may say "in a minute Mrs alwaysright" where we would say "dreckly me lover".

Actually language is a bit stupid isn't it.

I had this very conversation with my son yesterday evening over a pint in a pub where we were talking about feeding habits of young persons. My assertion is they won't eat anyting that's good for them including his own kids and would rather have a takeaway. I blamed this on parents who don't feed their kids properly from the outset so they get too used to eating crap. He went on to say that I didn't know about all the kids who get fed at schools now because their parents don't and it is the only meal in some cases kids get in a day. I politely said bollox to that one. In my day if you had school dinners there was "a choice". Eat the offer that they had or don't. No choices of this or that and never mind a food allergy. Kids learned to eat most things and weren't that fussy. Now their parents will spend £10 on a pizza delivery. Never mind buying in some groceries and cooking something. He then tried to tell me I didn't know the cost of the food involved in that. Well lets see. You can get a 1.25k chicken in Aldi which is loads to feed a family of 4 for £2.50(ish). You can buy 2.5k of spuds in Iceland for £2.15 at the moment. Carrots from many supermarkets are somewhere around an average of 50p a killo. Cabbage or a Cauliflower are generally on offer somewhere these days and can be bought for around 50p each. So that's enough veg to fill up anyone. That's a total of £5.65 with stuff left over for 4 people = £1.41 each. Healthy meal with at least 2 of your 5 a day. Do that for 7 days and you have saved a good £40 on the week. Oh and your kids don't end up looking like a beach ball. I also reminded him that he never had takeaways as a kid unless it was a special treat. We sat at a table all at the same time and ate something his mother had cooked and on a Sunday when or if she worked that I cooked.

3. brb

brb CR250

See my earlier post, you could have bought your spuds in ASDA and saved 85p <laugh>

alwaysright likes this.
  4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I've actually just checked and it's 4k of spuds for £2.15 so enough for several meals. In plymouth we have an Asders not an ASDA. You can ask any local.

brb likes this.
  5. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

What is it with 'southwesterners' - you can't talk properly - now it seems that you can't spell <laugh>

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    sensiblegreeny likes this.
  6. alwaysright

Christmas Presents ? -- our High Street shops are not charities (( except for the charity shops ! ))

There has been recent discussion in this forum - regarding buying products, ( Mc Donalds etc), that may ( probably ) not be good for our health - and certainly raises much criticism regarding 'value for money.' This has got me thinking about Christmas presents. And it reminded me of the ' feature ' in Martin Lewis's money program on ITV a couple of nights ago.

Mr.Lewis raised the point about ' tit-for tat ' exchanging of Christmas presents among friends and family. He quite rightly emphasised the ' tat ' part of the phrase - because, often, that is exactly what you give and receive -- much unwanted and expensive crap !

Lewis showed a video he made a few months ago - in which he spoke about the pressure that Christmas brings to all of us - when we are compelled to buy presents - ' for the sake of doing so. ' He mentioned the financial implication that is felt - long into the New Year, as people struggle to afford to pay for that one day in the year.

Lewis briefly touched on the moral aspect of our extravagances. He pointed out that most of us have stated that we don't care so much about 'useless trivia', but would prefer to have a 'lovely time' with our family and friends-- in a mutual exchange of "goodwill to all." Lewis pointed out that the financial burden that we place on ourselves (( often seeking to 'outdo ' the present we receive )), is causing misery at the very heart of the 'festive' season -- and the only winners are all the retailers to whom we flock - just like a load of sheep (( or should that be Lemmings - over the financial precipice ? )).

The video that Mr. Lewis showed then touched on a theme - that I have advocated - and ' employed ' for a number of years. He suggested that a better idea is to give to charity 'instead' . I think this is a wonderful idea. Lewis said that it's still OK to give to immediate family - but that this should be something modest - without spending £ hundreds - which we probably can't afford..... ..... ...... let's face it - how many of us would consider giving to charity, even a 10th of what we spend on Christmas presents ? Lewis is suggesting that it would be much more of a noble gesture to help charities who rely on donations -- as they seek to give 'material / physical' help to those in 'need.'

My online persona is far from the 'real me.' I might shout at the lineman at Gills matches, but in my personal life, I am forever helping people ( not just my family and friends ) - and will always dig as deep into my pockets as possible to support them. And when it comes to giving to charities - I strongly support several - as I am humbled to see so many people giving of themselves 'at the sharp end.'

With regards to 'giving' presents, a well-known phrase is " It is the thought that counts" - not the value of the present. Well - I think that my relationship with my family and friends is expressed in a much more deeper and meaningful way than could ever be expressed by the exchange of trinkets --and it would be a slight insult to our relationship to give it a financial value. (( because - in a perverse way - that is precisely what we do when we spend £ X on a person. ))

This year, as for many years, I will give all my love to my family and friends - but much 'thought' ( and financial help ), to those who are a real 'charity case' -- (( not our High Street / Lakeside / Blue Water / Amazon.))

..... Happy Christmas everyone !

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    grumpygit and brb like this.
  7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

alwaysright and brb like this.
  8. alwaysright

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

That's a noble guide to giving alwaysright but that said it is also very very hard to find out what of your donation goes where with many charities. Most of the bigger charities probably need professional people to "guide" them so they don't fall foul of laws and frauds. This sadly demands a salary that is in line with the resposibility or you only end up with the wrong person at the helm. A friend of mine works for a charity which deals with homeless people and their issues. You often see young people around in the City centre trying to get others to sign up for a monthly donation of as much as they can persuade them to part with. I've spoken to him and he tells me this is the most lucrative part of their collecting. He is on £50k per annum. He isn't at the top and there are a load more like him around the Country. He does though believe in what he does genuinely. He has a number of kids of his own so cannot do the job for free. Th ere are loads of "charities" like that.

Then you have to look past the backroom staff and reps on the ground in foreign countries. I get bombarded with adverts everyday around the quiz shows on tele with pictures of kids with one affliction or another, no food, no water to drink, no schools in fact no anything much. If not kids then one animal of a species or another who equally are ill treated. So, if kids aren't your thing to give to then the four legged variety is an equal alternative. With the kids, you have to think of the countries they live in. It's not their fault but most of them are in trouble due to the grown ups who fight each other for power all the time. The corruption is so rife it's worse than obscene. If you give a pound to that charity then no matter what that charity tells you about amounts getting to the kids, how much truely does? The charity buys a load of stuff and ships it out. When it arrives at the Port the dockers take a little for themselves. Well it's perks isn't it. It then gets loaded onto lorries and the drivers nick a bit more. When it gets to the area intended the local warlord takes his share and sells it on. He buys an AK47 for his army to keep himself in power in the future. Eventually when everyone else has a bit of the prize it finally gets to the kid it was intended for. By then it's worth a fraction of the pound you handed over in Gillingham High Street. Sad state of affairs isn't it.

Worse though is if you don't give then you will have even more pictures of starving kids and anyone who remembers the Biafran famine of years ago wouldn't want to see that again. What to do?

alwaysright likes this.
  10. alwaysright

sensiblegreeny
    I hear what you're saying -- I fully understand that a 'professional' manager can be worth their salary, in terms of the value they bring to the charity. I also understand the 'politics' involved in the 'siphoning' of donations -- sadly this sort of corruption is an evil that seemingly has to be 'accepted,' if there is to be some of the funds filtering down to those people in desperate need. My conscience will not allow me to not do anything to help -- even if the main beneficiary may be somebody wielding a gun............ what the politics needs is for all the good people in the World to do something --- because evil will only exist where good people 'do nothing.'

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I know what you mean alwaysright but it still makes the giving a bit harder even if on balance I still do it.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

My problem is that with the Save the Children the salaries mentioned they add up to over £3m pounds, and that's just the top salaries.
    The other problem I have is that back in the 1950's I would sell the little stickers for Oxfam (older members will know about them) over sixty years and nothing has changed, they are still starving. It's time we excepted that a new approach is needed, stop feeding them today and use the money for building a manufacturing base for the future.
    I realise that might seem a bit heartless but sending food clearly isn't working, when was the last time you bought something made in Africa?
    Spend the charity money to build for the future and they can then feed themselves.

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think that more than the Charity high salaries of some the biggest percentage of charitable donations is syphoned off by the corruption in the Countries it was intended for. They simply can't stop fighting each other to even bother about their future population and would rather spend any wealth they have on proping up the leaders and buying Arms from anyone who will sell them the kit. Sadly we are often the sellers which makes the Charitable donations we give party to those with high profits in this Country. In some ways we prop up our own industry. It goes round in a vicious circle and the weak and vulnerable are caught up in that merry-go-round. You could argue that giving to those charities is keeping the wars going and if the gravy train for the warlords stopped then there would be no incentive or rather less incentive for the warlords to exist. Also the reason the African Countries don't have industry is that once again the natural resources of those Countries is syphoned off to keep their Government Leaders in the luxury they have. Have you ever seen a starving President or ruler by any other title of those Countries who is skinny and being driven around in a Skoda. Living in a lean-to in a field. Nope no have I. We even prop up those people with Foreign Aid. The Foreign Aid is given on the bases of finance for a "project" which means they syphone off a chunk and buy Arms from us and the whole thing starts again as with the charities. Our Government knows exactly what's happening but never do anything about it as it keeps people in jobs and makes money for the already rich in this country. All you have to do is look at one of the most feted political figures in African history and look closely at his origins and how he ended up which is Mandella. Was a freedom fighter to some and a terrorist to others who was party to and probably took part in blowing people up and murdering others. He was arrested and detained with much publicity from the rest of the World until finally was released. The people he looked to free lived largely in Shanty Town and he lived in "a big house". They are still quite poor and yet he ended up a millionaire. No comment on what he was fighting for as an ideology but I do question how he got his wealth and what he did with it. His Mrs wasn't exactly squeaky clean either but was almost untouchable no matter what she did. And they were the good guys as history will report.

alwaysright likes this.
  14. alwaysright

I have medals for misogyny .......... ( I'm only joking )
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-46164568

I have a lot of female friends - and I am very comfortable in their company. We 'engage' as 'equals.' --- but --that won't stop us from having ' sexist style ' banter whenever there is need to tease each other.

I am not overly impressed with the tone of the above article. I honestly believe that the concept of a man 'paying' ( exclusively ), on a date is patronising towards women. To me, it could imply some sort of 'superior' status. ( from anyone too blinkered in their viewpoint ).

I'm unsure if men routinely give up their seat on public transport, open car doors, lay their cloaks on a puddle to allow a woman to walk thereon etc. We have progressed a long way towards sexual equality since 1975, and today, in most areas, women ( quite rightly ), receive better dignity for their gender. Women have been able to challenge on an equal basis - and their gender is longer a detriment to their CV. Women are quite right to consider it an insult to their dignity, if they are treated as some sort of inferior species - or as if they are mere chattels of their 'caveman. !' - and this sort of inappropriate perception could easily be promoted if the woman expects the man to [exclusively] pay on the first date.

Unfortunately there is a 'downside' to female liberalism - that being that basic good manners have been lowered. (( there are other reason why the social 'bar' has been lowered - but I will spare you the rhetoric )). Have we become too afraid to exercise politeness in case we cause any offence and make people feel belittled ( regardless of gender )?

Without wishing to be misogynistic / sexist - or whatever accusation you may wish to level, I am saddened to feel that the woman in the above article wants emancipation - but perhaps is being a little bit unreasonable to expect her caveman to 'provide' for her....... this could be considered as a form of 'reverse sexism !

Incorrect social behaviour exists in both men and women. Both parties should be able to appreciate modern etiquette - and be able to come to a mutually and equitable resolution ( for ALL decisions )- without outdated and sexist behaviour / expectations ( from both gender ).

........ mrs. alwaysright has allowed me to write this post - only if I take her for a meal tonight !

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  15. alwaysright

How much !!
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-parents-cap-teachers-Christmas-gifts-50.html

Having said what I did almost two weeks ago - I can't help but feel disgusted at the obscene figure -- I hadn't realised that being ' teacher's pet ' has become so expensive !!
    However, if the parents can afford the £16,000+ a year school fees, then £50 is mere 'change' -- and it can be argued that the decision to give a gift is the prerogative of the donor--- more fool them !
    ............. it's just as well mrs. alwaysright doesn't teach at that school - I couldn't afford to compete with the privileged little darlings.

16. brb

brb CR250

Absolutely, if the school charges fees of 16k plus per year, then parents can obviously afford a £100 present, I'm sure the parents that can afford that sort of tuition would as you rightly say see it as mere change.

Bit of a case of pot kettle black, we will screw you for 16k, but don't spend more than fifty notes, because next year we will be raising tuition fees. Personally if i was in that position, i would tell the school to do one and mind their own business.

alwaysright likes this.
  17. alwaysright

Gills have had a few defenders who were ugly as dogs
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46453844

......... and some of their performances have had remarkable similarity to canine 'waste.'

This piece of wit has been inspired by the winner of the 'Stupid question of the week' -- from my mother - who asked " You said that you've had a tooth out - where from- your mouth." My reply " No, my bottom." (( I would have said arse - but I didn't want to disrespect my mother. ))

brb likes this.
  18. alwaysright

I'm shouting at you because you don't seem to be hearing what I'm saying ! - and I wasn't even speaking to a linesman.

In September - during a visit to my mum. I changed her gas & electricity tariff (( I kept it with British Gas - because they offered a reasonable deal. )) I set up a direct debit to begin on 1st October.....or so I thought ! A few days later mum received correspondence to 'confirm' the arrangements. When I checked her account in early October, I found that no payment had been taken from her bank account.

I contacted British Gas to enquire -- They stated that the direct debit had not been set up. I said that we had correspondence to suggest otherwise. The 'operative' was unable to give an answer to the conundrum ...... So -- the chap set up the direct debit to begin on 1st November. In early November no payment was taken from mum's account. I then made the same enquiry -and received the same lack of answers to explain the situation. A'new' direct debit was set up for 1st December ...................................... you already know whee this is going !

1st December (( Groundhog Day )) ----------------- ditto -------------

Today I again called British Gas - and had the same conversation. I said that I had received the same assurances on three previous occasions - and it still wasn't 'happening.' The reply from the assistant " Well, it wasn't me who dealt with you. " I said ( raising my tone ) " Well - that's what the other staff said - and they didn't get it right." I added " all I want to do is to set up a direct debit - so that my mother doesn't have to worry about paying her bill . Can we set it up to begin on 1st January, and I'll pay the outstanding balance now with my credit card."

The operative then asked for mum's bank details - which I gave -- despite the fact that on my previous enquiries in October and November, I was told that these details were on their system - but - hey-ho I gave mum's bank details. I was asked " How much do you want to pay? " I was now getting a little frustrated. I told the operative £ XX. I told her that this had been worked out by British Gas in early September.

The operative then said " I'll set up the direct debit to be paid on 16th December, for £ YYY (( much more than £XX)), for the gas..." At this point I interrupted - and raised my voice " NO - that's not what I asked -- I'm not going to pay off the balance today and then have the direct debit taken a week later. I asked you to start it on 1st January -- and for £ XX between the gas and electricity - - the figure that British Gas quoted - - NOT £YYY. "

The operative then said " £ YYY is for both the gas and electric. " I responded ( in a LOUD voice ) " NO- you will not set the direct debit at £YYY -- either set it at the figure that YOU - British Gas - quoted -- which is already a little more than my mother is consuming, and not until 1st January, or I'll change supplier."

The operative said " I'm going to get my supervisor to speak to you because you're shouting at me." I said " I'm sorry to offend you - but when I have spoken quietly to previous staff, they haven't been able to sort out a simple problem. I have spoken quietly to YOU - and yet you have quoted figures and dates which I have not given or asked for. So - despite the fact that I'm shouting at you, it doesn't seem that you have been listening to me -- so I would appreciate speaking to the organ grinder (( I stopped short of adding ' not his monkey ' )).

we'll see what January brings.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Oh how much I can relate to your post above alwaysright. Not with that organisation but it seems most of them these days are the same. The out for them of course is always that they will terminate a call or interview because you "have raised your voice". Never mind the deaf ears they appear to have that actually makes you raise your voice a bit. I defy anyone to make a point forefully without a few octaves being added.

My wife has macular degeneration. Her sight is frankly bleeding awful (excuse the pun). It has gotten worse, no far worse over the last few years and she is having injections in her left eye every 6 weeks currently. To look at her you would think there was nothing wrong because you can't see bad eyesight in people. We have banked with the Nationwide for a load of years now and recently she heard of an account which would give her 5% interest on a limited amount of funds paid into the account over a year. She went in with me to enquire about getting one. No problem but of course you have to do it online and not in the Branch. She explained that she couldn't see a keyboard to do online banking and had to use a branch office for financial stuff. It was suggested she "get someone to help her" namely me of course. She then got her card out and asked for a withdrawal. The woman said put your card in there and punch in your pin number. I jumped in and said she can't see the key pad so I'll put the number in for her. Oh no you can't do that said the girl it's her card. Hang about I said it's a joint account and she is stood next to me so what is the problem. No chance she was going to let me do the numbers. I then said she had just finished telling her to get my help to set up an account for her online. If I couldn't punch in a couple of numbers in the place in person then how come it was ok to do other stuff in her name online. By this time the wife was not happy and demanded to see the Manager. She got her way and she asked him why she was being discriminated against because of her disability. He started to say that they could only do the account online along with the usual guff they speil out. Not having that wasn't herself. You have signs on your counter for hearing difficulty, you have ramps at your doors for disabled people so what can you do for people who can't see? Or is that not a disability worth worrying about. He was stumped. He said that nobody had ever asked them to do the account in bank before. She said well I have so what do you intend to do about it. He had to ring head office for guidance and would ring her at home with a reply on Monday. He rang and said that H/O had cleared them to do it and if she came in it would be sorted for her. We went in today and the first response we got was that nobody knew anything about it. Fortunately for them one of the staff had been there on the day and knew what it was about and she put them wise. Saved one hell of a lot of shouting because I was 10 seconds from blowing up this time. Just goes to show that if the computer says no then it isn't a final answer. She is now the proud owner of her own account paying 5% for a year.

alwaysright likes this.
  20. alwaysright

If it's a Nationwide Flex Saver account which you can pay in £250 a month, - at maturity date simply close the account -- and the next day open another -- it will give you another year @ 5%- otherwise the funds go into a nothing interest account....,