1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. brb

brb CR250

The world is going mad with political correctness or whatever it's called. I even didn't get it when i first read the sign, which is as you said must show a certain perversion of the person interpreting it!

2. brb

brb CR250

Right time for another moan after seeing the news articles regarding the £99 authorisation charge by Visa and Mastercard at self-serve petrol pumps.

I think i wrote a while back how legal action was threatened against one of these parties for attempting to get selected companies to refuse cash payments. This is on the back of my constant beliefs that Visa and Mastercard are trying an aggressive stance to move towards a cashless society.

I saw people asking for a boycott of ASDA, however, it is not ASDA that is enforcing this it is the card companies. Correct and proper revenge would be to pay in cash, laugh you may, but the true way to force the card companies to reverse this decision is precisely by doing that, pay in cash. Honest it really is that simple and if thousands or even millions of people could be persuaded to do that, then the card companies would be forced to back down, let alone it would screw up self serve only stations.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

Gloves ! - WHAT A WIMP

I've just been watching the UEFA U17 semi final between England and The Netherlands -- ( England lost 6-5 in the penalty shoot-out )........ I must admit - I nearly wet myself laughing when the England No.20 had his penalty saved !
    This lad, Balogun, ( an Arsenal chap ), had come on in the 2nd half - and - other than the goalkeepers, he was the only one who wore gloves !! -- it's bloody SUMMER ! - There was another England player, sitting among the substitutes who was also wearing gloves ! What is up with them ?
    Before the lads started the penalty shoot- out, I just knew it would be the boy with 'cold' hands who was going to cock it up

and a couple of the England boys went down with cramp towards the end of the game - perhaps they should have worn surgical stockings

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  4. brb

brb CR250

I think gloves these days are used more from a cheating aspect that has escaped the attention of many. I think the only way my surprise revelation will be accepted is when a goalie turns up Kenny Everett style...

please log in to view this image

You would have thought that UEFA would have realised by now...

5. alwaysright

brb - as for goalkeepers - these days it's more a case of kid gloves - as you can't even breath on them without it being a foul.

6. alwaysright

I wouldn't wait until 13th June to sentence them............ send them 'home'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-44303823

What I can't understand is the extent of the incompetence of Kensington Council -- handing out a ridiculous amount of tax-payer money to accommodate theses people. Do they not exercise routine checks ??
    Even if these people had been genuine victims, what justification ( with all due respect for appropriate sympathy ), would there be to put them into a life of luxury ? AND presumably many of the genuine victims have been similarly 'pampered,' at probably £Millions................. anyway

I reckon that these charming members of the scum section of society should be punished in an appropriate manner --- I suggest that they be perched on the 19th floor of the Grenfell Tower for at least as long as they were in the posh hotel.

7. alwaysright

I thought my last story was ridiculous ! apparently there are idiots who think that people will pay £ 935 for a shirt.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-44288722

I suppose the same idiots will produce a range of boxer shorts --- that will be worn on the outside of trousers #superman...................................

................. don't worry about me - I'm just killing time until the 14th June

8. alwaysright

"If you let me know when you go to the toilet, I'll wipe your backside" ........... well, I was already doing most of her job for her !
    Yesterday, I went to my local Tesco [ Extra ]. Among my purchases were two bags of compost. I placed these in the bottom of my trolley - and eventually went to the self-service till.
    I scanned all my other purchases and placed them in the bagging area. I didn't do this with the bags of compost - they were far too big for the space in the 'bagging area.' I decided to do what I have done in the past with purchases which were heavy or 'abnormal' in size --- I pressed the HELP button on the till display. I must admit that I wasn't expecting a buffoon of an ' assistant.'
    A less than charming female member of staff approached (( gender is irrelevant - but stated for the purposes of accuracy )). I asked her to encode the bar code of the bags of compost, and override the need to place them in the bagging area ( for the aforementioned reasons ).................
    ............. well - you'd have thought that I was asking for back-to-back wins for The Gills ! This tactless member of staff definitely skived off the 'customer relations' day in her training !
    The idiot whom I had the misfortune to come to my help, summoned all the charm and grace that she could muster and promptly told me;
    " If you wanted to make purchases of anything like this ,you should have gone to a normal till. " ----------------- you can imagine that this did not impress me !
    This member of staff obviously wanted to engage in ' being an idiot competition ' --- so I duly obliged. I said to her " I 'm terribly sorry, I must have missed that sign on the display. And how would going through a normal till be different - I still would not have wanted to take the bags of compost out of the trolley. " Now it was her turn to be underwhelmed. At least she didn't reply (( probably treating me with silent contempt )). She put the relevant bar code into the machine and then walked away , leaving me to pay for my goods - - IF ONLY ! -- My till still demanded that I place my item in the bagging area <grr> -- which is exactly what I couldn't do ! I had to call for Mrs. Wonderwoman. I explained my predicament. She said absolutely NOTHING - but pressed a button on my till - to override the need for items to be placed in the bagging area ( my original point<doh> ) - and again walked away without a word................

I was annoyed with the appalling service. I couldn't resist having the last word -- As the member of staff walked away, I said " I'm terribly sorry for causing you any inconvenience. I thought your logo is ' every little helps ' - perhaps you should remove the first and last letters !

brb likes this.
  9. alwaysright

brb likes this.
  10. alwaysright

I think I now know why I have made so many mistakes in my life !
    Several times, as a lad, I sustained blows to my head -- REAL, nasty head-bangers, resulting in much loss of blood, lumps sticking out of me - making me look like a baby Rhinocerous ( my looks haven't improved ). In one of my pranks, I lost consciousness....... each escapade was entirely my own fault.

Looking back, (fondly), I would undoubtedly claim that I sustained concussion on more occasions than has been good for my health. I suppose I could also ask for my subsequent mistakes in life, to be mitigated - because I wasn't aware of what was going on around me ----- at least I could have used this defence if I wasn't so mentally traumatized by the smacks to my nut - causing me to be unable to think rationally.

Instead I have gone through life with many highs and (too) many lows . I have had triumphs and defeats. I have made successes and failures [ mistakes ]. I have never once thought that, when things went wrong - if I made a mistake or two, which were entirely my own fault ( even if bad luck may have contributed ), I have not blamed my mistakes on the consequences of a minor 'contact' (( most of the time I would have received more of an injury from a feather duster )), that befell me earlier in my day. I didn't / don't mean to make my mistakes - but I have to accept them. -- just like Stuart Nelson ( v Wigan ).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44363648

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

11. alwaysright

World Cup Predictor (2)............... brb won't like this !
    As brb has decided to start a WC predictor thread - perhaps we could think about how many times VAR will be used during the tournament. Personally, I would have thought that the answer might have been quite low --- but -- I can see many occasions - and games lasting well over 100 minutes ...... and it seems that the linesmen will be totally redundant. Surely the directive in the article is the thin end of the wedge ? It only serves to undermine the credibility of 'assistant' referees. I suppose it could be said that linemen will have fewr duties to perform - and can concentrate more on cheating ( but we know that never happens ).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44459554

can any help me ? I still haven't been able to find one occasion where ANY decision in a match has been made by the 'official' on the goal line --- and what exactly is it that they are holding in their hand ?

EDIT - I just re-read my post (for spelling etc ) - it appears that I am saying that linesmen now will have more time for cheating !!! --- I'm not going to edit that !

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    brb likes this.
  12. brb

brb CR250

Told yer mate this technology is all going the wrong way and all to protect the finances of the game nothing to do with fairness.

13. alwaysright

VAR is getting everywhere - it would appear that the 'linesman' has been cheating ..... again !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-44466618
    Looks like the parents are more competitive than the kids.
    I have a friend, who, on school sports day, would tie up her daughters' hair in a 'bun' on top of her head. The daughter always won the race involving balancing a hoop on the head for the duration of the race.!

brb likes this.
  14. brb

brb CR250

You got to be kidding me <laugh>

15. alwaysright

It's true ! -- AND - I have known ( more than one ) set of parents who have done homework for their kids.

brb likes this.
  16. alwaysright

It's a form of racism - and the skin colour of the bigot is irrelevant !
    Firstly, I wish to state that I am a white-skinned male ( that too is irrelevant ). I have many friends from different parts of the world. The tone of their skin differs greatly from each other - (more irrelevance).
    Last night, on Mock the Week ( BBC2), the panel featured, among the 'celebrities,' - a young black-skinned woman ( I had never seen her before - don't know her name - and I don't really want to know it !) This woman came out with a comment which I find offensive. AND, the nasty and the vindictive way in which she delivered the comment only made it worse ! (( and the fact that it came from a person of black skin colour was inexcusable - it would not have been tolerated from anyone else )).
    The panel was shown a picture of the Prime Minister, Teresa May - and were asked to make humerous comments about the circumstances surrounding the picture. The charmless 'celebrity'' chose to interrupt another panelist, and in a quite nasty way came out with a vile, slanderous statement. The (non) celebrity said " I bet she hasn't got any black friends." This comment was immediately repeated by the woman -- what -- for dramatic effect ? - for your information, you was incredibly crass the first time you said it - the repetition didn't help ! The comment was appalling. Any accuracy of the statement is irrelevant. It was, IMHO, a comment that was a form of racism / bigotry. It wasn't funny and should never be permitted to be broadcast on television in the name of alleged entertainment. I think it only serves to place barriers between different parts of our communities.
    I nearly felt embarrassed for the idiot - but - there is one type of person who doesn't mind embarrassing themselves in the name of comedy - clowns. Perhaps - this comedienne ( sorry, I meant to say clown ), would do well to work in a circus - perhaps she could then get people to laugh at her, rather than what was obviously her intention of laughing with her.

17. brb

brb CR250

Didn't see the programme, but reading your comments that did make me cringe at what she said. I agree with you and im sure if the comment had been aimed at her ie not many white friends....there would have been uproar. Not really sure how insulting our Premier in such a manner is funny but hey that's the double standards of the BBC. #Saville

alwaysright likes this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

A quick question for anyone who is in the know.

how is it that every time I go out, I always see numerous "Motorway Maintenance" vehicles, yet still spend my time dodging potholes.
    What do these people actually do?

brb likes this.
  19. brb

brb CR250

grumpygit likes this.
  20. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable