1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. brb

brb CR250

GC <doh>

2. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Still can't work out why anyone would need to take any type of medication/drug that would be performance enhancing for curling. You're literally pushing a stone down some ice for god sake.

brb likes this.
  3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

The FA will let you have freedom of speech - as long as it comes from their arse !
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43174407

I don't claim to know all the ins and outs of Spanish politics. I see a region ( Catalonia ), that wants independence from Madrid - and I see Madrid taking a very heavy hand on the subject - with a lot of violence used by the Police to instill the will of Government ---- and there I was thinking that a government was elected by the people, for the people ! ---- they obviously have a different form of democracy in Spain- where if you don't agree with the government you are beaten up and put into jail !
    It would seem that the English FA are in agreement with the Spanish government - and have decided that Guardiola is causing offence by wearing what amounts to a political rosette in his support of people who have been treated like criminals for merely speaking their political thoughts.
    I am uncertain if Guardiola and other pro- Catalonians have the best interest at heart for Catalonia - but - they have a voting system which gives everyone the opportunity to place their X . The Spanish government may not like the outcome ( Brexit ??), but need to respect democracy --------- as for the FA - they need to keep their noses out of politics -- did they not learn that they made themselves look like clots* over the Poppies on shirts fiasco ?
    * .... you know that I don't mean clots ?

4. brb

brb CR250

A topic I have discussed many times outside of our football board. Catalonia!

So let's give my opinion, you knew it would be coming...The people of Catalonia decided to take to the voting polls to seek independence from Spain, now the vote would have had no bearing on the constitution, it was simply peaceful people making what amounted to nothing more than their vote of no bearing.

However, the bully boys of Madrid saw it differently and while the European Union stood by and did nothing, the Spanish government breached with their brutality no less than three articles which by the law that every member state agrees to, technically means Spain should have been suspended.

But NO! The EU did what it always does and stood by and did nothing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Nationalist, so do not believe in interference from the EU, however, what is the point of articles to protect the people if you are not at least in voice going to uphold them.

People often quote me Article 50 re Brexit. But's let's remember this is the same union that stood by and watched the destruction of Yugoslavia (non member state). The same union that also witnessed the lies of the Blair government. IMHO Madrid is no different. People will argue this is different, but, it's a bit like English police going in and forcing their views on the Scottish people during their independence vote, different or not it's still the same principle and as a matter of clarity, I wished i could have given Scotland their independence.

I saw the brutality that was dished out by the Madrid Guardia, some journalists had been at polling stations all day and remarked along with people who do not agree with the vote, how peaceful it had been. That was until those animals turned up, so let me give you some facts;

Votes for Independence; 2,044.038
    Votes against; 177,547

People eligible to vote; 5,313,564

So 92% of people that voted, wanted independence, however, I will also accept that did not equate to half the number of eligible voters, but let's not forget some people knew the Guardia from old and were fully aware of their methods.

But something i've always insisted on that makes me anti EU (not Europe) is that it does not believe in nationalism, i give you Angela Merkel ripping a German flag from one of her accompanying colleagues. Basically the EU want a one state, the Spanish government also believe in a one state, welcome to dictatorship where in 2018 you have political prisoners.

The FA need to keep their noses out!

Stands down from Soap Box.

alwaysright likes this.
  5. alwaysright

Now the snow's gone......The wanquers are back driving their cars.
    At least when there was snow and ice on the road motorists appeared to drive with due care ---- I thought that as I was already on a roundabout, the van, still inside the junction to my left, was supposed to 'Give Way' to me - not force me into an emergency stop !!!( not a chance of me stopping if it had been yesterday morning )

During the snowy period I was quite jealous of the people who live in Downing Street - it appears that this was the only road in England where it didn't snow !

6. alwaysright

If you can't afford to pay your heating bill ( along with mortgage/rent, great food and all the other bills )
    You could always hope to get a chance to stay in rent free, 5 star accommodation ( check out the size of television on the bedroom wall ). http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-43261564 There is only one condition...........You have to 'qualify' for this luxury life-style.................. You would do well if you are a
    MURDERER, RAPIST, PAEDOPHILE, ROBBER ( preferrably of innocent old ladies ).

I make no apologies for being 'old-fashioned' - prison is supposed to be about punishment - not rehabilitation.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    brb likes this.
  7. brb

brb CR250

Interesting debate and absolutely understand your sentiments.

But to play devil advocate (albeit without proper research) it claims to have the lowest re-offend rates. Most 'life' criminals will re-offend time and time again, hence more people suffering at the hands of the criminal - if we can break that cycle is that not a good thing?

There is a lot of unanswered questions in that report, but i believe in considering all options if it prevents more victims. Do i believe this is the answer, not necessarily but yeah, like you, it's got my attention.

8. alwaysright

brb
    I did read about the lower offending rates -- but-- this is Norway - not Britain ! Can you honestly believe that lower re-offending rates would be achieved in Britain if the scum of our society were given such a luxurious lifestyle -- it's a lot better than many honest, hardworking victims of crime.

9. alwaysright

3d back on a bottle ................. ask your grandfather ( or brb, grumpygit or tim ).

So the government are proposing to charge a tax on plastic bottles and aluminium cans - and tell us that we can reclaim the appropriate amount by returning the bottles and cans to the store - for a refund . Perhaps the government will be able to tell us how we are supposed to fund the tax - which will have a massive impact on our budget and shopping bill - don't expect ANY pay rise to cover your extra costs. And if we are expected to take back our empties to the shop in order to retrieve our thruppences - well - that's not going to cause any chaos is it ?- yeah !
    Don'tget me wrong - I am in favour of recycling. I believe that we all should do more to prevent landfill -- but haven't we already got a selection of differently coloured bins for our rubbish ? -- which we struggle to bother to use, even though they are on our doorsteps.
    I suppose we have to consider another tax ( a bit like the plastic bag tax ), to see if punishing people in their pockets will do the trick --- but - with the plastic bag tax, people don't have to go out of their way to return to the store for a refund ! ----
    --- and what joy for the shopkeeper - who will have yet another tax to collect in the first place (( and the logistical nightmare involved with the accounts )) -- as well as needing an extension to his/ her shop -- the same size as the shop - to store all the empty bottles and cans........and to where will these items go ? - and who will collect them ( and pay for the service ). Will shopkeepers refuse to accept certain items - because it wasn't sold by his / her shop ?I am sure that there are more questions.-------
    I just thought I'd get in my 'thruppence worth'** on the subject - now all I have to do is find out where I can get a refund.

** before brb, gumpygit and tim say it should be 'tuppence', I know - but I was trying to keep it topical (( beside 99% on here won't have a clue what I am on about )) ..... and, yes, after reading my latest non-recycable rubbish, they are none the wiser.

10. brb

brb CR250

It's certainly going to be a massive change on how they manage this, and very costly to retailers. Rumours are that it will be 25p!!!! The reason for such a heavy amount is to ensure that people do return them, whereas if it is pennies people may still throw them away. Retailers aside i personally blame the likes of Coca Cola they should have been dealing with this issue decades ago. I think it's disgusting that Coca Cola have been allowed to go unchecked via various governments while amassing enourmous profits. The other culprit has to be the bottled water companies and finally supermarkets force them to sell items unpackaged and go back to recycled paper bags or take your own bag to place the loose items!

11. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I like being lumped among the ancients, despite the fact that after today I won't have to ask at the turnstile what age their senior concessions are (some are 60, some 65). I now qualify regardless (I thought there was an appropriate emoji, but can't find it..)

Anyhow, back on topic, anything that reduces the amount of unrecycled plastic waste has to be a good move. But as you say there are many matters that will have to be resolved, not least that I (along, I'm sure with very large numbers of the population) already recycle as much as we can through the local authority refuse collections. So instead of just bunging our bottles in our recycling bin we're going to have to take qualifying items to a different location to get our money back. Then there's still the matter of how taxed items are going to be identified. The plastic that is used in bottles is often the same type that is used in other plastic products, such as the punnets that fruit is put in. Are those going to be taxed?

I don't think there'll be a problem about people who decide not to recycle their bottles - at 25p a go there's money to be made for enterprising collectors. That might, however, become a problem if people store their empties outside - empty bottle theft could become an issue...

As I say, I'm all for anything that reduces waste, but let's hope that whatever plan is finally put into place has been thoroughly thought through. Apparently there are precedents in, I think, Norway and Germany, so we won't have to be going down a road that no-one has trod before, but if there's one thing that a long-ish life has taught me, it's that when decisions like this are left to politicians we shouldn't necessarily expect them to get it right.

12. alwaysright

THANK YOU - EVER SO MUCH - I HAVEN'T GOT ENOUGH TAX TO PAY ! http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43584859

WHY DO I BOTHER TO WORRY ABOUT WHAT IS FAIR ( OR, RATHER - UNFAIR ? )

Why should any of us be expected to pay a single penny for the extra security inside the WHU ground ? Surely that is their responsibility. Nobody else but us pays for our police bill inside Priestfields. I remember when we played Stoke in the FA Cup a few years ago, the game was at risk of not being played - because Mr.Scally argued about the extra police that the FA said we must have - and Mr.S didn't want to pay..................... what is the difference in the WHU v Southampton game ? --- or should I feel sorry for WHU - it must be difficult for them - struggling to make ends meet with only the many ££MMillions they get every year.

I'd be happy to pay 5 pence ( in tax ), for several plastic bags - to put them over the heads of anyone, outside the National Stadium, who thinks that it's fair for me to pay more bloody tax for the benefit of somebody else.

13. alwaysright

14. brb

brb CR250

Do you really want yo engage in debate over West Ham, and that i do not believe the fans should have got life bans!

Once our new ground gets put up, once we have rich Arab owners, once we are in the Premier League, Id be invading in the pitch if i could get my leg over the barrier, so to save myself a mischief, i just will not be going.

Should never have moved out of their old ground...you know im going to say i told yer so!

15. itstimupnorth

itstimupnorth Well-Known Member

Because the terms of their lease were negotiated by politicians, and if there's one thing that a long-ish life has taught me, it's that when decisions like this are left to politicians we shouldn't necessarily expect them to get it right.

Oh, I seem to have said that somewhere before...

16. alwaysright

It was meant to be a joke - but Mr. Scally couldn't see the funny side of it. ........... NO, I'm not talking about the result !

As you may remember, I said that I had the 'luxury' of being a guest in a corporate 'box' for the game at Southend. In fact it was directly adjacent and behind the away Directors seating area, ( which consisted of a thin cushion on old wooden seats. ). It seemed that Mr.Scally was going to be 'slumming it' compared to my 'pampered' position.
    Before the game started, I attracted the attention of Mr.Scally and said, " There's a spare seat in here if you fancy a bit more comfort." The look he gave me !! He must have been practising for the horror show that was to unfold........... of which, coincidentally, I couldn't see the funny side.

ps - brb - I haven't suddenly become a snob just because I watched the game in a box ! - and by 3.11 pm, I wanted the ground under the box to open up and swallow me ! - business as usual on Saturday - GRS ( hopefully not for more pigswill ).
    pps - many thanks to my host, Steve.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    brb likes this.
  17. alwaysright

There WAS something more mad than the Gills defence in Southend !

On the way back along the A127, the traffic was quite heavy. Both lanes of the dual carriageway were filled with Gills fans, in their haste to get away from the area -- and, maybe a few were in more of a hurry than others.
    At one point, I was aware of an ambulance behind me - 'with blues and twos' - trying to get through the traffic . This was being achieved by the cars, behind and in front of me, moving as far over to the kerb ( for those in the nearside lane ), and towards the central barrier ( for traffic in the outer lane ). This allowed the ambulance to achieve reasonable haste in its' journey.
    You would think that this was all good common sense driving by the other motorists - but - you'll be unsurprised that, rather like the Gills rewriting the Lovell game plan, a few idiots on the road were in a hurry to try to score a motoring 'owngoal.!'
    As the ambulance sped past my car, (( don't forget it's going down the middle of the line of cars ), a car and two motorcyclists decided it was a great idea to 'slipstream' right up the back of the ambulance <doh> - Now - I'm fairly certain that the ambulance was on its' way to an emergency - not following a potential disaster !

brb likes this.
  18. alwaysright

I think that modern medicine is wonderful - but I didn't realise that our very own Dr.Scally and the team have been practising it - just to save our lives !

You'd have thought that, with the lack of effort in recent games, The Gills could be accused of extracting urine out of the fans. You might be right -- or actually more ill than the lad who vomited in front of me at yesterday's game.
    You might be in need of a ' special ' life saving remedy - of which The Gills have become excellent exponents over recent, ( and not so recent ) years. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43815369 .
    However, I'm not convinced that transpoosion will prolong my life. I reckon that the physical process will only make it seem as if my existence feels longer (( who didn't think that the Blackpool game was much more than 90 minutes of torture ?))....................

So, just when you thought that you didn't need any more faeces from The Gills ------- thank you for saving my life Dr. Scally

You see - this is why I talk so much ****
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-43674270
    ........... at least I'm not being paid to have a dump on an area of grass

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  19. alwaysright

Maybe I should have apologised.........To the idiot in my doctors' surgery this morning -- he was obviously in a hurry to get some ' common-sense pills !'

You'll not be surprised if I tell you that somebody 'suffered' from my brand of wit earlier today --- Some complete buffoon who somehow couldn't work out that there was a queue in front of him !

I had to go to my doctors' surgery - to collect a repeat prescription ( anti-depressants ) -- ( I might not be joking after tomorrow ). I queued up to speak to the receptionist. I was stood behind the 'first' patient in the queue - and was about 3 ft behind this person - and waiting 'patiently' for my turn. ( did you see what I did there ? ).

A 'mature' man then joined the queue - behind me --- nothing wrong with that - so far ! ) The lady in front of me then has finished at the reception desk and moved to one side. Guess what happens next.

The clown that was behind me - quick as a flash - dashed in front of me. The receptionist asked "Who'se next " - I'm not sure if her question was genuine - or was she also in need of anti-stupid pills ). I decided that today must have been set aside for idiot patients ( so I joined in ) - I responded and said " Actually I'm next - However I only came in for a prescription for some anti- idiot tablets - I've still got one left - but it looks like this man has run out of his some time ago."

Needless to say - my warped sense of humour was completely lost on the chap - who just gave a vacant expression during my diatribe.
    ( I've got plenty of 'stupid pills' for all on the coach to Bristol tomorrow. )

brb likes this.
  20. alwaysright

Show them the size of your sausage ! ( football season has finished - this is what you can expect from me until August )
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-43961019
    Another case of political correctness !
    I find it difficult to understand how the local police inspector considered it worthy to be an 'arse' about the sign. A sign with innuendo, requires the person reading it to have any perversion involved !!
    I wonder if the same police officer has taken any similar action with pubs displaying 'happy hour ' signs ? Surely this promotes binge drinking ?
    I wonder if the same police officer has taken any similar action with all sorts of TV adverts that uses female sexuality to promote the product ?

Last edited: May 6, 2018