1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The (Sir) Alwaysright Gordon Road Stand Thread

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Nov 16, 2012.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

I wasn't surprised when Peter Lloyd contacted me !
    Yesterday, before the game, I went into the Club's ticket office - to purchase my ticket for Walsall next Saturday. I had to wait quite a few minutes whilst Richard ( Dozy Dick ), conducted his love life via telephone.
    When Romeo eventually took himself from his sweetheart I asked for;
    " One ticket for Walsall away next week." Q " How many tickets do you want? " Me; " One." Dick; " One?" Me; " Yes, just one adult ticket." He then took my money - but didn't have any change - - and he went off on an expedition to find some !! --- during which time I consumed a three course meal !
    When he eventually returned, I noticed that he had grown a beard ! (( sorry - I've stolen that joke from my friend in the GRS.))). Dick gave me the change.
    I then asked him to put my name on the coach list - I would be getting on at the ground. He asked for my customer reference. -- Richard assumed I had one. Why did I need one ?.... anyway, I gave it to Dick and said that my contact number is on the data base, and that Peter Lloyd had my mobile number.
    Dick didn't give me any details re the cost of travel and pick-up times ---- but I already knew them, so I wasn't overly fussed - I was anxious that Romeo could return to his Juliette.
    Later in the evening, I was contacted by Peter Lloyd. He stated that my visit to the ticket office had left the Club ( Dozy Dick ), confused ! How ? Peter did concede that it wasn't difficult to confuse the ticket office - apparently they didn't know if I wanted to travel to Walsall by coach or making my own way !................... I didn't realise that Romeo Dick's love life was so complicated that it caused him to break out with dementia......................... I told Peter Lloyd that it's no wonder that his coach passenger list has about as much finality as Scally's managerial appointment schedule.

brb likes this.
  2. brb

brb CR250

Can't Peter Lloyd get you the tickets anymore, seems a right carry on mate.

3. brb

brb CR250

Ok, I'm going to be a tad controversial here. Firstly i will start off by saying the person that put the note on the Ambulance is an utter nob head BUT moving on from that instance, which it is funny you should raise...I was only thinking the other week, some of these ambulances, I hasten to add...no blues flashing, are just randomly parking any old how. Now normally i would say parking like W*****s but I am respectful to our emergency services and will just politely say they could have parked better, even if not properly. Anyway the Ambulance crew do a great job, so i think to myself, if they want to park like **** it's ok in my book <ok>

4. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Ambulance across his drive, the poor sole must have been distraught.
    On a more serious note that will also upset some, "the blue badge" I know this is probably jealousy as I seem to be the only person who doesn't have one, but why do they think it gives them the right to be total ****.
    They seem to park in the most dangerous of places on bends or corners, putting everyone else in harms way, as they seem to get free parking anyway (what is the mobility allowance for?) why can't they use car parks like everyone else.

5. brb

brb CR250

The reason they might not use car parks like everyone else is maybe their physical disability prevents them from getting the distance from the car park to the location they need to be. Now you might say...wheelchair but in some cases people can manage a short distance without aid and prefer to do so, hence they park in inconvenient places.

By the way not having a go mate, just making a suggestive response to the question :emoticon-0150-hands

6. alwaysright

brb
    Yes - Peter Lloyd can get me tickets - but the last time I asked him to do so, he got me a 'senior' ticket ( allegedly by mistake ) - I then had the hassle of trying to get it changed.----- but he's got enough to do on match day - and I don't want to add to his 'burden.'

grumpygit - you are not on your own in not having a "park where and how you like" badge -- I can't get one for my frail mother - because she can actually crawl 51 yards (with extreme difficulty), before she has fallen 3 times ---- whereas, if she could only manage 49 yards, she might 'qualify' -- either that or if her hair had 'split ends' like so many 'undisabled' people with a blue badge!
    My neighbour can run faster than some of our defenders when 'closing down' an opposing forward - yet she has a 'treasured' badge.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  7. alwaysright

Is this another Scally scam ? -- whilst we are discussing tickets for matches;

I normally phone for my 'away' ticket - and pay by credit card ( 50 pence admin fee ) -- and have the ticket posted. This usually arrives the next day ( first class post, 65 pence).
    When I got my Walsall ticket, I paid by cash. In the 'confusion ' with Dozy Dick, I didn't realise until some time later that I also paid a 50 pence booking fee ! I have seen, on the Gills O/S that the 50 pence booking fee is applicable !! - and if I buy, over the phone, by credit card, the postage of the ticket is not charged (odd ) - so, in reality I shouldn't moan about the booking fee ---------------- but -- you know that, with me, it's always about the principle rather than the cost.
    As far as I am concerned, I wasn't 'booking' a ticket - I was buying it - there and then ! I wasn't using a credit card ( thus saving the Club the appropriate handling fee ), and I wasn't getting it posted - saving the Club even more money !
    I could have avoided the 'booking fee' by going up to Walsall and buying it from their ticket office - but the 50 pence 'saving' wasn't cost-effective - and - on matchday the ticket price goes up by £2 ( although I notice that Peter Lloyd doesn't apply that when he gives out the tickets people have asked him to get ).
    If you take the situation to it's extreme - there will be 'all-ticket' matches, as well as tickets for 'popular' games - where the away Gills following will be 'considerable' --- all those 50 pences add up to a tidy little amount - --there is NO way to avoid this surcharge.

and you can't even get Dozy Dick to get your name on the coach list !

the Dozy Dick scenario / my contact from Peter Lloyd was even more baffling - because Dick had actually sent me an email to 'confirm' my booking arrangements---- I expect that on Saturday, Peter Lloyd might need to put passengers ( not on the coach list ) in luggage compartment

8. brb

brb CR250

Why didn't you just use the senior mate? <laugh>

9. brb

brb CR250

You are going to like this one...very, very much...I can only go on what you have said, naturally, and I have no reason to doubt my mate.

GFC have broken the law :)

By law, ticket sellers must give you clear, honest information about prices and tell you about any extra charges on top of the ticket's face value. And as you didn't know, one has to assume they did not give you clear advice.

The rules that relate to ticket charges are founded in the Committee of Advertising Practice Code (or CAP Code), which is administered by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).

The rules in the CAP Code reflect the requirements of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008. These regulations require all compulsory fees, whether fixed or variable, to be clearly disclosed at the outset when the ticket price is first displayed.

But these rules don't say how much a company is allowed to charge.

10. alwaysright

brb - click, click, click, click.
    I know that supporting The Gills will put years on you - but I'm not that old ! - and I have principles of 'honesty' - and wanted to pay the correct price. I did end up using the senior ticket - but gave the extra £5 into a local charity that was collecting on the day.

regarding The Gills 'breaking the law.'
    I'm not so sue that they are -- you see the extra 50 pence 'booking fee' is clearly stated in the Official site. My contention is that I'm not 'booking' the ticket, - just as one might book some shopping for home delivery ( in which case 'booking fees' cover additional costs.) I state that there is NO additional costs to the Club if I go to the ticket office, pay by cash and pick up the ticket - rather than have it posted. The way I see it, the 'booking fee' is a legal scam to add an extra 50 a time - I may not be in a position to do much about it ( rather than not go ) - but I don't want the Club to continue to teat me like a clot - and think that I am stupid as well as a clot.

11. brb

brb CR250

They did break the law based on what you said. You went to the booking office, you did not go to the official site to purchase, so regardless of what the site says, we should not be assuming you have read nor should we be assuming you have a computer!

The fee has to be clearly stated at the time of purchase. You stated it was not, you also stated you handed the cash over, probably took the change like we all do without checking, then realised you had paid an additional fee, that is in breach of the regulations <ok>

The seller should have said to you the price of the ticket and that includes a 50p booking fee, again he or she should not assume you know the price of your ticket, quite often for away games we might not!

If they are just adding in fees without stating them at the time of purchase it could be classed as miss-selling in the same way PPI used to be just added in to sign here agreements.

I know i'm being pedantic!

12. alwaysright

brb
    You're not being pedantic. I am only prepared to 'accept' it on this occasion -- because it's GFC .
    I will, however query the matter if it happens again - but if you had encountered Mr.D, Dick in the ticket office, you'd gladly pay a lot more than 50 pence just to get away......... besides, I know you're deliberately goading me - are you hoping that the Club ban me ? ( I'd force you to have my season ticket )

brb likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

On another note, what's happening with the GRS...did you get moved again Saturday?

14. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Taken from the O/S.
    "Please note that anyone purchasing over the phone will incur a £1 booking fee per transaction (50p for Season Ticket Holders). "

Nowhere can I find any charge for going to the ticket office, I should add that I regularly purchase cup or away tickets and have never paid a fee. It also doesn't mention a fee for online purchases?

15. brb

brb CR250

Exactly grumpygit...as i've already told our mate, it's breaking the law <whistle> By law, ticket sellers must give you clear, honest information about prices and tell you about any extra charges on top of the ticket's face value.

But it's interesting to note, as from January next year (13th January 2018) ALL surcharges on debit and credit cards will be BANNED - government legislation will make it illegal. However, there is no clear definition that i have found that indicates if this will include booking fees. My worry is will companies try and get round this ban by increasing booking fees. Point to note that grumpygit has highlighted that a £1 booking fee is indicated online, even i never realised it was that much and when did the increase to £1 take place?

16. alwaysright

brb - it's been a £1* for some years ------ all of a sudden I don't feel like an idiot for being fleeced by Dozy Dick <laugh><laugh><laugh>

* unless you want to purchase a season ticket - in which case it's £5. I have yet to work out why the same style of transaction should be 10 times the cost - but I suppose it's another legal Scally scam.

brb likes this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

<laugh><ok>

18. brb

brb CR250

What i want to know though, is how come grumpygit has never been fleeced for a booking fee at the ticket office and you have?

#MugOnForehead <laugh>

Only joking mate.

alwaysright likes this.
  19. alwaysright

brb likes this.
  20. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Just to upset you Always' not only don't I pay a booking fee, at my ripe old age I get my season ticket at a discount. :1980_boogie_down:

brb likes this.