1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The 2019-2020 season.

Discussion in 'Norwich City' started by Walsh.i.am, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Walsh.i.am

Walsh.i.am Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, I know the current one is still in progress (just - but not really for Leeds United <laugh>)
    But dates for calendars and diaries various contained in this link.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...-need-2019-20-premier-league-season-1-6021879

In summary:-
    Fixtures released 9am on Thursday, June 13.
    Summer window Mon, July 1st until 5 p.m. on Thurs, Aug 8th.
    Winter break, dates T.B.C.
    FA Cup fifth round ties will be played in midweek, with replays from
    that stage of the competition and onwards abolished.

RiverEndRick, Canary Rob and JM Fan like this.
  2. Canary Spring

Canary Spring Well-Known Member

3. RiverEndRick

RiverEndRick Well-Known Member

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

And VA motherfing R

5. RiverEndRick

Interesting, if a bit simplistic, comparison of the SW effect at Huddersfield and Norwich:

https://lastwordonfootball.com/2019...ddersfield-town-and-the-stuart-webber-effect/

The main difference seems to be that he left them before they went up. Their recruitment, including Pritchard, seemed to hold up when they survived but their second year has been a disaster. Keeping SW on board could be the key to our future, especially where recruitment and our academy are concerned. Huddersfield's decision to do scale down their academy might have been his reason for leaving them.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    canary-dave likes this.
  6. RiverEndRick

For those who like detailed technical analysis, this article looks back at the sources our success and ahead to the challenges the PL will pose:

https://statsbomb.com/2019/05/a-man-a-plan-a-promotion-norwich-city/

As always, the poser will be how our players step up to those challenges, but I'm hopeful that the ingrained style of play seen this year will make us competitive, though there will of course be set-backs. How the players respond to those set-backs will also be crucial.

Canary Spring likes this.
  7. canary-dave

canary-dave Well-Known Member

News just in, Tom Trybul doesn't require surgery on his ankle and the boss(DF) expects him back for pre-season.

8. RiverEndRick

That's great news. Hopefully he'll be fit again when pre-season starts.

canary-dave likes this.
  9. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

RiverEndRick likes this.
  10. RiverEndRick

Meanwhile the predictable advice that we 'need to spend if we want to survive' is beginning to appear, like this from FLW:

"Daniel Farke has some quality players in his ranks at the moment and he’ll be reliant on the majority of this year’s squad heading into next year’s campaign. But if you’re a Norwich City supporter, you’re going to know full well that the Canaries need to invest and add some depth and experience to a relatively young squad. Otherwise, they aren’t going to be in the top-flight for very long at all, which is the worst possible scenario for everyone associated with the club."

We all know that don't we? Pratt.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/n...y-figures-latest-comments-ahead-of-pl-return/

11. RiverEndRick

I'd feel confident of that JMF. I think Holty had 24 in the Championship and 17 in the PL. Pukki doesn't seem to vary in form much, so he should have a good chance of scoring around 20 in the PL. His other advantage is having four other goal scorers around him, thus making it more difficult for defenders to concentrate just on him.

FLW certainly seems to think we need to do a Fulham to survive. Did them a load of good, didn't it.

JM Fan and canary-dave like this.
  12. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

Great article by Connor Southwell from today’s MFW - 'In the aftermath of that final day drubbing at the hands of Sheffield Wednesday, this club was rife with frustration and panic. With its prize asset on crutches, social media went vocal on its fears around whether the new regime could bear fruit and a team who looked sluggish and had once again been beaten heavily away from home, just as they had been at Millwall and QPR.
    If ever there was a moment for the club to decide that their new strategic direction was proving inadequate, it was then. The football had a painting-by-numbers style, the punters were beginning to vocalise their frustration, and the players were seemingly despondent with the working methods being implemented by Daniel Farke.
    There was no empirical evidence to suggest City could become playoff contenders in year two of the project, let alone potential champions.'

Tellingly, on the walls inside Colney is the quote ‘Ignore the noise’!!!!!!

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter...best-coach-in-the-division-now-whos-laughing/

ncgandy, RiverEndRick and canary-dave like this.
  13. Canary Rob

Canary Rob Well-Known Member

It's also just plain wrong. Getting promoted to the Premier League even if just for a single season is quite clearly not "the worse possible scenario".

canary-dave, RiverEndRick and ncgandy like this.
  14. Forgot_My_Lines

Forgot_My_Lines Well-Known Member

Totally agree. We need to keep him as long as we possibly can.

There will be established Premiership Clubs looking at him (I think Saints were linked with him Mid-Season).

From one of the interviews with him I heard, he wants to stay. He was asked about his future and how he would be in demand. He was very honest and down the line (as we all know, and love) He basically said he does want to test himself at the highest level at a giant, get as high as he can get, and never say never. But, he has only just started here, and he wants to show everyone what he can do on this budget, in the biggest league in the world.

It sounds like he would only leave if: Sacked, if the board suddenly change how there are letting him work and stop him making moves, or if we are established in the Premier League for 2-3-4 Seasons.

I think if we go down next season, I wouldn't necessarily fear losing him. He is very honest and blunt, and I think he will see it as a job failed, and he would want to get us back up again.

That's the impression I got from the interviews I have heard since promotion. He seems invested, enjoying his work, and like his plans have only just begun for this Football Club.

15. RiverEndRick

That sounds about right. SW has been given considerable scope to change the club's structure and he's made a good job of that, restructuring the academy, the scouting set-up and influenced the major changes to the organsational structure as well with a much stronger emphasis on football matters. The success of that is now obvious. His recruitment of new players for the PL is the next test and if he succeeds with that, his credibility and reputation will continue to grow. At 35, he has time on his side to build a really great career.

JM Fan likes this.
  16. RiverEndRick

As for DF, his words here say it all:

“As a coach, a player or the club, when you think you are successful and you have finished is the moment you need to retire, because then you will never be good enough. If you think you are the best you can be sure the opponent finds some solutions so you have to develop. It was an unbelievably difficult project when myself and Stuart started here - the balance of the squad, the financial structure. We are totally on the right path but the mid and long term objective is making Norwich a permanent member of the best 25 teams in the country. That isn't built in one or two years. That is our vision and we want to reach this target.”

We're very much in the early stages then.

https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city...s-what-championship-promotion-means-1-6032212

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    ncgandy and canary-dave like this.
  17. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

Congratulations from a Saints fan. Will look forward to returning to carrow road next season

18. RiverEndRick

You'll be welcome mate. Our games are usually good ones.

19. JM Fan

JM Fan Well-Known Member

20. RiverEndRick

Good for Tim for taking that initiative. They also need to look so what's occurred with the Murphys since their moves.

JM Fan likes this.