1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That's all folks! Cheerio Mick ( according to TWTD )

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Southcoastoldgaffer and Nuggets like this.
  2. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Perhaps the new boss will be announced tomorrow?

3. Westlake33

Makes you wonder if we're close to announcing something on that front !?

I guess all will become clear soon........... Ah this is Ipswich. It won't!

I'm relieved this has happened rather than dragging it on - Mick simply had to go the second it was announced the club wouldn't be renewing his contract.

4. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

A lot of excitement on TWTD.. can’t even access the site. Must be every town fan flocking to try and get an update

5. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

Might be that WBA are soon to appoint Mick and naturally he can’t be bothered to hang around here..

6. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Whoooooooooopppp!!!!

7. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

That would be my guess as well. Overall not a bad spell as manager (1st 3 Years) but last 2 years have seen us play some dreadful football and I’m looking forward to the change and will be able to go to my 1st game in 2 years

Nuggets likes this.
  8. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I am surprised Mick decided to walk before the contract is up. I think some fans thought he was too proud to walk out because of his arrogance, but ultimately he was too proud to continue in a role that really was no longer his and effectively lived on borrowed time.

I'm glad he has left the club, but as I have mentioned before, I appreciate what he has done for the club and he has left us in a better position than

Southcoastoldgaffer likes this.
  9. Castro Sito

Castro Sito Well-Known Member

No hard feelings for Mick from me. Glad he finished on a win and grateful he’s left us with a decent base to build on.

10. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

Thanks for saving us from League One,Mick and Terry but after briefly flirting with promotion in the 14/15 Season you never really pushed on.Good luck in the future and I'm sure we'll have some interesting encounters when we meet again!

11. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

It's all confirmed. Klug and Williams to take charge of the remaining games.
    See you later Mick, maybe you were just waiting to sign off with a win.
    He's said enough inflammatory stuff in the last few interviews that I'm glad he's finally gone.
    No more stirring the pot from you old pal.

12. itfcptc

itfcptc Well-Known Member

No doubt Mick is a good manager and won't be remembered as one of the bad ones. He's done alot of good and brought some solidarity to the club, done well with the playing squad and got us to be a competitive club.

Unfortunately I do find it difficult to wish him the best of luck due to the us vs them culture he's formed which just hasn't been healthy for the club and whilst the abuse has gone way too far and is unacceptable in a certain way he has reaped what he has sowed.

To my mind he's a bit of a mercenary, he cares about his own reputation and the staff he's brought in but he doesn't love the club or the fans and has never really ever shown warmth to the club. He has never really put the most important people at the club at the forefront.

It's a shame things have ended as they have as I think if Mick hadn't have said the few narky comments he did everyone could just wished him well for a half decent job and let by gones be by gones, unfortunately that hasn't happened.

13. Westlake33

Well done Mick, think on the whole you've done a good job here. My take of each campaign -

12/13 - saved from a certain relegation, credit due.
    13/14 - pushed on - everyone happy.
    14/15 - dragged a dog to play offs - everyone happy.
    15/16 - mindset of play better stuff until 5-1 humping at Reading put shell on. Would have certainly come top 6 had Didsy/ Bish / Fraser not been injured for massive chunks of that season. Cest la vie.
    16/17 - still of the opinion stitched up by Evans re Murphy going so late. Like or hate Mick - would he really have not signed a more likely success than Leon Best so late in the day? Season over before September 1.
    17/18 - good summer recruitment foiled by injuries left right and centre. I think we COULD have done something this season, however we'll never know.

THAT SAID - Even I, a staunch believer in the way Mick was trying to achieve what he was trying - given the budget given by Mr Evans of - frankly -

* ANTI football/ preventing other teams play / instructing defenders to knock the ball to a striker in a kick it as high to outer space ............. I did also find difficult to watch.

Lets see what the new gafa can come up with next season.

IF Dozzell comes back fine, Huws can keep fit for a season, Downes + Nydam push on.............. then we'll be in great shape for many aspects to move forwards.

I've loved Didsy's time here, however, he too needs move on so we're not basing finance on someone MAYBE being fit. I'll give Huws a bit of leeway with this, however Didsy's race is run.

14. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

12 / 13 - Did well to save us from relegation, but I think any manager worth his salt could have achieved that. We had a fairly talented squad that were underachieving.
    13 / 14 - Agreed.
    14 / 15 - Agreed, and worth mentioning that it's hands down our most successful season in the past decade. That unbeaten period between October and December produced some effective, entertaining football that got results. A great combination.
    15 / 16 - Quality of football deteriorated after that Reading defeat, but remember that came in September, so early on in the season. It was arguably one of the turning points of Mick's reign, because he seemed hesitant to play attacking, proactive football following the defeat and I believe that approach is one of the reason for his failures since. Not a memorable season, but some good late results pushed us to five points off play-offs.
    16 / 17 - Hands down one of the worst seasons we've had at the club, including Keane and Jewell's efforts. Lowest points tally, lowest finish in the league, and four points off relegation. We had a good squad and, while failing to replace Murphy was a bad move on the board's part, Mick's failure to adapt his playing style to get the most out of the team was arguably the greater failing. Without Bart or Lawrence, I think we would have been relegated and Mick really should have been sacked that season.
    17/18 - Agreed regarding the injuries playing a part and also the good recruitment. Style of play was a big negative though and I can only recall a couple of games this season that have been genuinely enjoyable.

itfcptc and Southcoastoldgaffer like this.
  15. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

That season promised so much.. Possibly our strongest 'squad' in years. A front 4 of Murphy, McGoldrick, Pitman and Sears looked as good as anyone that season, add in Fraser and we looked (on paper) so much better than the play off season before..

Clearly injuries to Bish, Murph and then Fraser crippled us, but it was the beginning of the end for Mick.. The second half of that season was pretty dire and the rot had clearly begun to set in. It was only a couple of wins right at the end jumped that us from 12th to 7th and made it look a far better season than it was.

itfcptc likes this.
  16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Really? I don't see this at all. Over his time the club - pride / values / vision / football has been eroded even further as far as I can see.

17. Scowey

Scowey Well-Known Member

In terms of Pride - Fans may feel less pride in performances, but I think given the squad of mediocre loanees and mercenaries he inherited, Mick has instilled a lot more pride in staff within the club than there was before.
    I also see the number of players who have stayed long term as a huge positive. There were not many who managed 100 caps whilst Keane & Jewell were here and getting some players who you could hang your hat on has been a huge step from the likes of JET, Chopra and Sonko

Value is an odd one, as Mick has instilled a great work ethic and the expectations of his squad will hopefully be something that can be continued. But his footballing values must clearly be developed upon with a more flexible approach.

Vision is down to the owner, Managers shouldn't be dictating a clubs overall strategy that should be coming from above (which is a separate argument)

Erosion of Footballing quality has been the greatest issue and you will have no arguments from me in terms of Mick dragging us too far down a path that no one wanted us to go down.

itfcptc and Westlake33 like this.
  18. San Diego

San Diego Sir Mediator
    Forum Moderator

When talking does he ever refer to Ipswich as 'us'?
    It feels likes it's always been the Mick and Ipswich show and that he's always put a bit of distance between the club and himself.

19. Mike_Holmes1990

Mike_Holmes1990 Well-Known Member

Farewell Mick, agree it was the reading game that was beginning of end.

Although the high water mark was the top of the table clash with Derby. The season ended with playoffs, but only just..

itfcptc likes this.
  20. Westlake33

Academic how you get into them, take 04/05.

Miles ahead of West Haaaaaaaaaaaam but lost over 2.