1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

That Ascot Bumper

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by stick, Feb 20, 2018.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

The Ascot Listed Bumper on December 22nd looked to be a big pointer toward finding the great home hope for the Festival bumper this year and it was won in a very likeable manner by the Giffords DIDTHEYLEAVEYOUOUTTO with a horse I like, Bullionaire, an honourable but brushed aside second.
    I know at least one very knowledgeable fella on this forum thinks he is the real deal and he could be correct. However here is a list of the horses that have run from that race and how they fared.
    Theflyingsofa 3rd at Fontwell
    Kateson 2nd at Chepstow
    West To The Bridge 2nd at Hereford
    Woulduadamandeveit 2nd at Newbury 8L behind Acey Milan
    Portrush Ted 2nd at Hereford 8L behind Brewinupastorm
    That’s five horses placed from five runners and I really cannot decide if that is form being franked or let down……
    The reason for putting this up tonight is that two more run in the first division of the Doncaster bumper tomorrow. Two For Gold who was sixth at Ascot and Hidden Glen who was ninth. It’s an interesting watch for me and I wont be backing either!

rudebwoy likes this.
  2. Dimitar_Ingotov

Dimitar_Ingotov New Member

Out of curiosity who do you fancy in that bumper tomorrow stick?

3. stick

stick Bumper King

Having ruled the above two out I also dont like the Henderson horse that much either, he is claimer ridden and Henderson doesnt have a great record here, so STOP THE WORLD who chased home Brewinupastorm in his p2p will do for me. The yard unleashed a good un in this race last year.

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Theflyingsofa clearly surprised a few people when finishing 3rd at 50/1 at Ascot and to be fair, his subsequent 3rd at Fontwell was on heavy ground and he wasn't beaten at all far by a nicely bred animal. The 2nd, 4th, 5th and 6th horses at Ascot haven't run since. You could argue that the 7th placed horse at Ascot, Kateson, ran well subsequently when trying to give David Pipe's Remastered 7lbs at Chepstow. You could also argue that 8th placed West To The Bridge confirmed that promise with a fine 2nd to Hobbs' runner Arthur Mac at Hereford with the pair well clear.

For me it was the manner of the victory which so impressed me with Didtheyleaveuoutto. To be fair he could have won a dozen lengths if Geraghty wanted and you rarely see a horse travel and then accelerate like that in top class bumpers - they are more often won by the most resolute stayer. The quality this guy has is options - at Cheltenham Geraghty can hold him up off a slow pace knowing he has a blistering turn of foot, but he also knows that if they go a strong gallop he can lie handy and then turn on the turbo up the home straight. Bombproof IMHO as he will outclass a stayer with that turn of foot all day long.

DreverSpur likes this.
  5. DreverSpur

DreverSpur Well-Known Member

I haven’t got a huge financial interest in the race but that is excellent analysis Oddy and I couldn’t agree more <cheers>

6. OddDog

Staff Member

Careful mate I could be talking complete bollocks <laugh>

7. stick

stick Bumper King

Will the result tomorrow affect your opinion one way or another?

8. OddDog

Staff Member

The 2 of them were pretty well beaten at Ascot so I wouldn't think so ............... both carrying penalties here too (although at least Kim Bailey has a claimer on board his) and would possibly prefer better ground. Not original I know but Stop The World should be going close and I think Jonjo's could go well (if they are trying).

9. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Id fancy a McPherson/woods double in the donny bumpers tomorrow . But ignore me.

10. OddDog

Staff Member

Two For Gold franked the form I'd say, despite nearly throwing it away through greenness. Nice win in the end under a penalty (the 5lbs of the claimer probably decisive although a more seasoned jockey might have gone to the rail earlier and saved connections palpitations). I think Hidden Glen struggled in the ground and will be seen to better effect on spring ground. Should make a nice novice hurdler but needs to fill out over the summer.

Jonjo's wasn't trying <laugh>

11. OddDog

Staff Member

Second half right mate <applause>

floridaspearl likes this.
  12. stick

stick Bumper King

It won but was hardly convincing. I think it’s fair to say though that the form is just about holding up.

They rarely are <laugh>

13. Sir Barney Chuckles

Sir Barney Chuckles Who Dares Wins

Apologies, I’ve only just noticed this thread. What did you think of the 4th home in ‘that Ascot bumper’ (beaten 3.25 lengths), namely Gallahers Cross. He would be my idea of the horse to take out of the contest.

Trained by the Lieutenant he was purchased for a whopping £260k by current connections in November (here’s his sales page - http://www.tattersalls.com/cat/CNO/2017/42.pdf). That run at Ascot was just a month after his arrival at Seven Barrows and it would be fair to say that he was still, at that stage, acclimatising to his new surroundings. Gallahers Cross also wasn’t knocked about at Ascot (undoubtedly being looked after with the future in mind) and stayed on as well as anything, in the heat, in the final half furlong. No idea if he will be ‘Champion Bumper’ bound (it’s not a race that the Lieutenant particularly likes) but 25/1 NRNB does look rather big. Although wherever he goes I’d nominate Gallahers Cross as one to follow.

Re Didtheyleaveuoutto I was very complimentary, on here, about this one after his debut success. However, the thing I would be most worried about would be the competency of his trainer. I’d bracket him with Oliver Sherwood and Kim Bailey (always get shouted at when I say this) whom I really think couldn’t ‘train ivy to grow up a wall’. Yes, they will have successes along the way but I always think any horse would be better away from them and could achieve so, so, so much more in more competent (or even ‘magic’) hands. For example what could The Last Samuri have achieved under the tutorlidge of a Henderson or Nicholls??? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

To sum up then I liked the performance of Gallahers Cross at Ascot and think he is one for the future. Although he’s already a 6YO so its time to push on with his career, methinks – starting in the ‘Champion Bumper’??? Could do if that’s where the forum’s favourite trainer sends him.

14. Ekbalco99

Ekbalco99 Well-Known Member

I'll try and bump into the part owner - mr Parkin .. and hunt for a tip

Sir Barney Chuckles likes this.