1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Thanks to all for the well wishes.

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by mick the jolly sailor, Feb 16, 2018.

1. mick the jolly sailor

mick the jolly sailor Well-Known Member

As most of you noticed, I mentioned to Oddy about my current situation. I suppose you could call it a bit of an update, but didn't in any way shape or form expect the response from the forum members.
    All afternoon and evening well wishes poured in. Greatly appreciated chaps, gives me even more strength to beat this and get to see Cheltenham 2019 (and many more), never mind 2018.
    Once again a big THANK YOU to you all individually, and an even BIGGER THANK YOU to the forum as a whole. It says it as it is.

Mick.

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

So sorry Mick. I've had so little time on here that I missed the daily thread and the sad news that emerged therefrom.

I also missed an announcement on FB that a very dear friend of 40 years passed away recently; advised tonight by a phone call from my brother-in-law who spotted it. Feel terrible and hope I haven't missed the funeral.

Then I came on here and read back through the daily thread. I sincerely hope you have some better luck and better news to tell us soon. Glad you are staying positive; it's the only way to be

Remember that betting challenge we had when Arkle didn't rise to your challenge. Didn't we do well <laugh>

Any way, best wishes Mick from myself and Amanda, and stay posting <cheers>

3. mick the jolly sailor

Cheers Ron, Sound words there.
    Yes I do remember the Arkle challenge, not only did we do well, we had lots of fun too!!
    Hope you get to make our friends funeral and thank Amanda too.

4. floridaspearl

floridaspearl Well-Known Member

Wishing you well mick and stay strong. God bless you and all that sail with you.

5. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

I see the nurses have got you up already Mick - no rest for the wicked in hospital <laugh>.

I spent Christmas in hospital a couple years ago after my bike accident and it was a real lift every day reading the posts on the forum and exchanging thoughts on the upcoming King George chase (where I backed Cue Card and he got up on the line to chin Vautour - best medicine of all <ok>).

Hope you get a few winners today mate <ok>

Chaninbar likes this.
  6. mick the jolly sailor

Florida, cheers fella!

Oddy, it was actually a ball of mucous the size of a tennis ball doing it's best to block the tracheostomy and kill me that got me up!!!!
    But the nurses were in like a shot and gave me plenty of suction (that doesn't look right)!!!
    I'm actually quite lucky. I have a private room, booming internet and under the care of the best ENT team in Europe.
    Like yourself, the horses and the odd bit of TV on the lappy are keeping me busy.
    My Mrs and sister come in every day too. We live 10 minutes from the hospital, so that helps.
    Cheers!

Ron likes this.
  7. OddDog

Staff Member

Just watching the women‘s downhill skiing from the olympics - 0.02 seconds covering the first 3. What drama !!!

8. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

All the best Mick

9. mick the jolly sailor

Cheers Bustino!

10. Ste D

Ste D Well-Known Member

All the best with your recovery Mick.You sailors are a hardy bunch so no doubt you'll be back on your feet in no time mate:)

11. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

Very best wishes mate

12. mick the jolly sailor

Cheers Ste, we are all big wuss' really!!!:emoticon-0126-nerd::emoticon-0126-nerd::emoticon-0126-nerd:

13. mick the jolly sailor

lamby, thank you muchly and good luck!

14. lamby

lamby Needs a cold shower

And you mate!

15. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

All the very best Mick. I've just finished reading Danny Baker's 3rd book which amongst other things covers his treatment for head and neck cancer. Absolutely fookin gruesome in parts but also laugh out loud in others. If you're in there for a bit and you want something to read and the odd belly laugh his autobiography trilogy is entertaining. I'll post it to you if you pm the ward details for the hospital. Alternatively you could think that's crazy fookin idea because:
    1. reading about somebody else's cancer when you're being treated is never funny.
    2. Danny Baker is a cock end and you've no interest in his life or utterings. He does appear to be appear marmite but I like him.
    3. Bollox to reading when you've got the tinternet.
    Take care chap.

floridaspearl and rudebwoy like this.
  16. mick the jolly sailor

Chan, cheers fella!
    You just had me giggling with the 3 crazy ideas.....all of which are fine with me! I'm actually having a read In between internet sessions and sleep.
    And thank you muchly for the kind offer of posting the books to me. I'm hoping to get home for a few days in between the results of the biopsy, and the
    laryngectomy (if needed). So I'll pick a few more books up then.
    Cheers fella and good luck!

Deleted....... likes this.
  17. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

Good luck to you Mick, and for what's down for you in the future... One of my best mates is in a touch n go situation plus I know of three blokes who have all being diagnosed with prostrate cancer recently. Seems like we all hear about this type of news a lot, but it's foolish to think that each individual case isn't the same, its cancer, and we all need some support wherever it comes from.

Hope all goes well for you pal, keep smiling, and don't let the buggers get you down...<laugh><laugh><cheers>

18. mick the jolly sailor

red, cheers fella, nice words!!

19. OddDog

Staff Member

Classic Rodney Dangerfield from Back To School - "Contemporary American History with Professor Turgeson" <laugh>

20. OddDog

Staff Member

Assuming you'll have some time on your hands going forward Mick, here some of my favourite series which I would recommend watching:

Spartacus
    The Wire
    Breaking Bad
    Deadwood

That's just 4 but each is an absolute classic in its own way .............. especially The Wire (if drug busts in Baltimore floats your boat). Enjoy <ok>

Ste D likes this.