1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

The Manager

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Treble, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Lots of reports suggesting PSG are already lining up Zidane to take over. And may not even wait until the end of the season to give him the job according to Marca.

Naturally that means Pochettino is in the frame to take over at United.

There is another name worth throwing out there. Christoph Galtier. He took over Lille in mid season 2017/18 in 18th place, saved them and led them to 2nd, 4th and Champions in the next 3 seasons.

This season he’s taken over Nice and has them 2nd in Ligue 1 as well as knocking PSG out of the cup this week.

I don't know enough about him, and this is the French league we're talking about, but I thought he was worth a mention.

Worth discussing who people would like to come in? Or name some names that people haven't considered?

cytrax and Diego like this.
  2. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

If Ralphie manages to get the team playing with some sort of order/style and look like a team then i want a manager that will continue and improve on that not someone who will once again try to change the system completely whilst ****ing the players off doing so.

Every manager we have had for the last 9 years has either had their own "philosophy" or no clue at all, we need some sort of continuity for the players sake and the sake of any new recruits that will be brought in with an idea of where they will play and what will be expected of them.

Just a feeling i have always had but for me Poch is a no no, good manager but a nearly man imo.

cytrax and Treble like this.
  3. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

If Ralf does all that, why not Ralf himself? For a second I thought you were about to say that.

4. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

Could happen i suppose but think he is better suited for the role next in line for him.

Treble likes this.
  5. Diego

Diego Lone Ranger

I think Ralph has a stronger hand with the squad/players than a caretaker manager would have.
    With a caretaker the players (if of a mind) could think "**** you, your'e gone in the summer" whereas with Ralph who has been tasked with advising on the next manager could think (in reply <laugh>) "**** you too because the next guy is going to expect the same from you as i am, get used to it now or buy a cushion for the bench".

Treble likes this.
  6. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Well his next role could heavily influence who's coming in and who's shipping out. And the fact he's moved a few players out on loan suggests he has some power.

cytrax and Diego like this.
  7. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I’m with Diego that I am not particularly excited with the idea of Poch. PSG is by no means an automatic mark of success in my opinion. I believe that we need a stronger character with keen attention to details within a structured and progressive system. Erik ten Haag is my first choice in that regard. Someone that can be resourceful and has a look of a bastard. lol. That’s what this team needs.

8. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I would throw Graham Potter's hat in the ring of the likes of Galtier are being suggested.

The qualifications always seem to be; managed in the premier league and won something.

This pretty much rules everyone out though, it's a nonesense benchmark and only leads us back to ****e managers like Benitez, Mourinho, Ancelotti and the like. **** all that merry go round.

Potter with Rangnick moved up sounds good to me. As would ten Haag.

I would also definitely accept Pochettino, I think he'd fit right in and is ready for the job status wise.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  9. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

The arguments against Pochettino could easily be labelled against Tuchel as he had only won the French League title (as Poch will no doubt this season) before coming to Chelsea and he's not done too bad since. And lets be honest, winning the French League is pretty much a given if you're managing PSG.

remembercolinlee likes this.
  10. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I think that's a really fair assesment.

Not too bad.

He won the CL by organising someone else's (badly managed) team, and there was a hell of a lot of premature fapping over the bloke because of the start to the season they then had.

Has tailed off since, badly. Showing why he was no great shakes at PSG.

Cup manager? Possibly.

Amazing how the team is so reliant on two full backs to perform at full pelt though. Admittedly, both are very good.

11. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

I think that we would be limiting ourselves by simply looking at who has won what as a key criteria. At this point, we need to focus on someone that knows exactly what they want to deliver, their team philosophy. Look at the way Bayern picks its managers as an example. It’s about someone with a system that is sustainable and progressive as opposed to someone with trophy lists. I don’t even think Premier League experience should ever be a top prerequisite. The best managers in the league today didn’t have PL experience when they came in but they knew exactly what they wanted to execute.

As for epoch, I don’t know if I fully understand his identity as a manager with a system. That bothers me!

12. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

My main problem with ten Haag is that the Eredivisie is a weak league, ranking only 7th in Europe. The Eredivisie is also a young league and produces youngsters from a small pool of national talent and then clubs traditionally sell them on to bigger clubs and as we see from RVDB, they don't always thrive. I have concerns that ten Haag would suffer the same fate. It's quite one thing barking orders at an inexperienced 20 yr old in a so-so league, but quite another to imagine that he has the nous and tactical skills to make it in the PL.

13. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

So, no one else think Potter a candidate?

Too soon?

I'd have him over Rodgers every day of the week fwiw.

Especially if Rangnick moves into some sort of DoF role.

14. glazerfodder

glazerfodder Well-Known Member

I think an issue that needs addressing is having a manager who can command the respect of a dressing room full of internationals and have them do what the manager wants. Ole had it for a short while because he's been there, done that - Rangnick seems to carry some sort of mystic aura with him that is fine for the moment, but going forward, to take this rag-tag bunch of inflated egos and salaries and be able to bend them to your will seems a little beyond anyone other than an established internationally recognised manager. Football is nothing more than results based business, no major club can hire any manager on a 'let's see' basis.

15. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I haven't said one way or the other because I haven't watched enough of Brighton.

If he's good enough then why not. I'll watch them a bit more now.

Btw Rodgers, not interested in him at all anymore. Wouldn't be on my shortlist.

cytrax likes this.
  16. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

Potter was Swansea manager for a while before stepping up to Brighton.

Very good football, if occasionally a bit tippy tippy, but doesn't lose many.
    You could look at his record with Brighton and think he's a draw merchant, but that ignores the fact that it's, well, Brighton, tbh.

I have no doubt that the higher quality the player, the higher quality the product. He's a very good manager.

I can see how it's seen as a big leap but there's no way he's going mid range for his next job, imo.

Which means a top six club.

cytrax likes this.
  17. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

This is what I was saying about Bayern‘s method of picking a manager. It should always be about someone with their own system and track record of implementing that system as well as demonstrably strong character to lead the players. I place little credit on their trophy profile knowing that if there is a man with the right system that fits the club’s vision, success is bound to follow given the vast resources at the club.

18. Chief

Chief Northern Simpleton
    Forum Moderator

I happen to agree with you.

If you believe the cliche ridden press and social media bollocks (that includes this very forum BTW), there are only four managers outside of the old school merry go round qualified to manage United, and all four are already managing in the premier league; at City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs.

No one else fits the very specific bill dictated to us by the British football media.

Allegri? Never managed in premier league. Simeone? Ditto.

We need to pick the right man, they don't need to have managed at a big club, won something major or already managed in the premier league. They just need to be the right ****ing man.

Diego and cytrax like this.
  19. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member

If we are to use that very narrow criteria of only going with the so-called “winners”, the likes of Pep would have never managed Barcelona. Zidane, no chance at Real! And Nigelmann? You would be hearing how it is disgraceful that a big club like Manchester United would bring in an inexperienced no big club history manager to handle the big egos. And Sir Alex wouldn’t even have a chance because after all, Scottish League is barely in the top ten leagues in Europe.

So right now, in the world of football, the ONLY absolute obvious person that can manage Manchester United is Poch. That bothers me because it feels like another lazy setup for an underwhelming chapter.

20. cytrax

cytrax Well-Known Member