1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Manager didn't mention anything about player availability in his press conference. However the website says Fosu-Mensah is out. Can't see McDonald being match fit though and after limping off on Wednesday night, Le Marchand has to be a doubt.

The Manager has lots of nice things to say about Mourinho in particular and United in general in his pre-match article on the Official site. So I'll leave that there. The fact is, they've been showing an achilles' heel of late, especially at Old Trafford. But with the likes of Martial, Rashford and now Lingard (don't understand why he hasn't had more games) they'll always be a threat.

Another nostalgic game for Ranieri - third on the trot - since his first Premiership match as a manager was when he took the Dark Side to Old Trafford. Got a draw.

He showed his 'tinkering' tendency on Wednesday night. Suspect it had as much to do with and eye on this game as much as setting up a side to take on Leicester's physicality. If Le Marchand isn't properly fit then Bryan will come in, which is no bad thing. Odoi went to RB on Wednesday and many would like to see him there more permanently. However, it was simply because Christie was knackered and Odoi was the only choice. For his sins he'll be back in the middle with Mawson - it's the 'left foot' thing. Mawson has to be left sided CB and the only other right sided option is Chambers, who of course is shining in his new midfield role.

Cairney will definitely start and further forward, where he should get more space between the United lines. Kamara? Could say he deserves another go for his commitment and energy but afraid he still lacks any guile. There will be other times but perhaps not as a starter in this one. So -

........................Rico...
    ..Christie....Odoi...Mawson... Bryan..
    ................Chambers..Seri...
    .....Schurrle.......................Sessegnon..
    ...................Cairney..
    ......................Mitrovic..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Can't argue with any of that. Nicely summed up, Cottager.

3. Cottager58

And today the man is Lee Probert.

please log in to view this image

Probert has only managed 7 games so far this season. One of them was our 2-2 draw at Brighton. And how we rue that Mitrovic handball ! Not that there was any other option for Probert but to give a penalty, although worth mentioning that he is topping the list having awarded 4 so far in those 7 games. He's also handed out 24 yellows and 3 reds so he's up there on that count as well.

In earlier posts have mention that the Bristol Rovers supporter missed a season with a mysterious injury and gave himself a red card when knocked over by Steve Sidwell in a match against Wigan. However, my abiding memory of him, which isn't a good one, was when he sent off Brede Hangeland against Sunderland back in the Jol era. You'll recall that was after only half an hour and we ended up losing 3-1, all the while wondering why Sunderland still had 11 on the pitch. That game, in November 2012, was to many the beginning of our 'decline'. The irony was that Probert shouldn't have even been the ref - was was drafted in late on when Andre Marriner called off.

4. Cottager58

Well that confirms Seri and Anguissa are not holding midfielders. Add to that the sloppy passing from both and you have £50m of question marks

As for Shurrle, his only contribution was the flapping right peg in disguise for a tackle.

Lot of thinking and tinkering for the Manager.

5. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Watched in a bar. Absolutely shocking in the first half and I left at half time. Gather we were a bit better in the second half but could hardly have been much worse. How many goals conceded now? Wonder if they will manage to keep a clean sheet before January when Ranieri must bring in a new defence, surely?

£100 million doesn’t get you much these days does it? Cannot seem them staying up. Was going to come over and see a match in December but not wasting my money to go and watch that sort of thing. If you have a season ticket and have to watch performances like that most weeks you should get a refund. Still, I always thought the championship is a better league, just a shame we never get it on the TV out here.

6. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Its been a tough time for your guys.
    You're right that £100m doesn't go far, but how you spend it is as important.
    You have quality players who are not gelling as a team. Ranieri joining you concerned me for our safety and I'm sure he'll get more out of your squad. He seems to be intending to spend more as well. How much more will your owner stump up? He seems very quiet of late.

We're far from out of the woods with a lot more football to play, but our 19th century football seems to have done ok the last month or so.
    There's another 5 teams down with us two and I think it'll be 3 of that 7 to go down. So slightly better than evens.

Cottager58 likes this.
  7. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Well that first half was just dreadful, really dreadful. We looked like a team from League 1. Interesting that we did better when Cairney and Mitro came off, I really thought that was suicide at the time and I'm not suprised you left the bar Fulhaman at half time.

We're going to have to pull out all the stops against West Ham this Saturday, this Christmas period is crucial. On the positive side the bottom sides are not moving much either so there is hope, though it does not look so at the moment.