1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Nothing from the Boss about availabilty in his press conference today. Have to assume the only inuries then are the long term pair.

Liverpool seem to have got over their wobble and will be flush from their midweek European exploits. With it so tight at the top, can't see Klopp playing anything other than his strongest lot, although he'll have to do without Henderson who's done his ankle in. Not sure that such a loss however and pretty much guarantees Lallana a place. He could be their hidden threat on Sunday.

But hey, let a bit of history take over. Back in October 2005, only days after Johnny Haynes passed away, an inspired team beat Rafael Benetiz's mob 2-0 at the Cottage. And appropriately, given our current perilous position, there were the 'Great Escape' years. Our very first was in 1966 and a 2-0 win over the champions elect in February triggered our recovery. Then in May 2007 Clint Demsey's first goal for the Club ensured a 1-0 win and safety. History does repeat itself you know.

Not going to try any cliches this week. Parker says he's been studying opposition weaknesses with the squad. Well, that might lead him to shuffling the side. The only consistency we've had this season is in individual defensive mistakes, so the finger could point there. But to what end? Are the alternatives going to cope with Liverpool's front three any better? Maybe at right back ...

He's just so got to get the midfield right and preferably not playing too narrow (because of the way their full backs exploit space out wide). And at the same time give Mitrovic more support. Tough ask !!!

.........................Rico..........
    ...Christie...Nordtveit..Ream...Bryan..
    .......McDonald...Chambers..Seri..
    .....................Cairney....
    ............Ayite.............Mitrovic..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Think it's time to mix it up
    Rico has to have the game of his life....
    Hope for a Fulham friendly Ref...
    and some Luck for once.....
    I'd have the two ex-Liverpool in
    Put the Sessegnon Brothers side by side (telepathy)
    Then it's cross legs and fingers and hope for a miracle.<laugh>

.........................Rico..........
    ...Chambers....Nordtveit....S.Sessegnon ......R.Sessegnon
    .....................McDonald..........
    ...........O'Riley.....Cairney....
    ......Babel.....Mitrovic... Markovic.....

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    2whitestripes likes this.
  3. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I'd go with Rico; S.Sessegnon, Nordtveit, Ream, R.Sessegnon; Chambers, McDonald; Babel, Cairney, Markovic; Mitrovic.

4. Cottager58

Nice one SuperBri. Believe you've got the formation all wrong through - should be 4-3-3.

As to the ref, it's Craig Pawson

please log in to view this image

He carries the White Rose, supports Sheffield Wednesday and is currently based in Manchester. So, the scales might be slightly balanced our way.

We've seen him twice this season. The 2-0 loss to the Dark Side at their place in December, when he booked 3; Denis the Menace for us. And then that agonising game against Spurs at the Cottage in January, when they got an injury time winner. We played superbly that day and didn't deserve the body blow. Pawson booked 5; Mitrovic and Sei on our side, within a minute of each other.

For the record, in his 24 games this season he's dished out 89 yellows and 4 reds.

5. Cottager58

Can't believe you guys aren't backing Floyd Ayite to play.

6. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Just about sums up our season, individual errors costing us again.

Even though we haven't won any games I think theres been good signs in these games under Parker. These last 3 games we've had these little moments of looking like a competent team, a team who know their job and have players who look up for a fight.

The Chelsea game we were probably unlucky not to get a draw in the end, we probably deserved it on our 2nd half. Leicester game was a total no show 1st half then looked a different team in the 2nd, got back in the game but couldn't see it through. Then today we may well have got a draw out of it but for a moment of madness from Rico, what was he thinking??

Fulham COYW likes this.
  7. Cottager58

Had a little gulp when I saw the line up. Fair play thought they all performed (well, maybe excepting our two left backs) and you could tell that at last they were being properly coached. Anguissa was a revelation and Joe Bryan again excellent. In both halves we played some neat football akin to the Jokanovic period; the difference being we picked our moments when to do so.

As for the penalty, Fab. Yes Rico made a horrible mistake in not holding the ball but ..

.. in my view Mane conned the linesman - it was him that gave it.with Pawson apparently 'un-sighted'. As he seemed to be for a lot of decisions that went Liverpool's way. Overall Mr Pawson he was really weak..

8. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

I think its a soft penalty but the fact he even puts his hands on Mane you're giving the ref a decision to make.

The annoying thing is we had plenty of men there to cover Rico after the mistake, he didnt need to grab at Mane.

Cottager58 likes this.
  9. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

I said one of the criteria against top clubs is your keeper has to have a good game.
    There in lies the problem of Rico when he makes a mistake, he goes into panic mode. A good goalkeeper would keep calm and not do rash things, good keepers assess the situation quickly that the player is going away from goal and is no immediate danger with covering players. He can't be kept on for next season, we need better, he has no control over his defence and has a poor technique punching and catching, ie decision making.

2whitestripes and Cottager58 like this.
  10. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Obviously I have seen Rico a lot out here and he is a good keeper. Equally obviously I haven’t really seen him this season but it seems like he is having a torrid time.

He does tend to punch rather than catch, but keepers out here do so it is second nature to him.

I would also assume his English is poor. Most Spaniards don’t speak it much and he would have had no reason to prior to his move. This would not help him organise his defence, get feedback and adjust accordingly.

I would not expect him to stay when relegation happens. Mind you, if he is keeping the other guy out (can’t remember his name) with his current form it doesn’t sound like he would offer much.