1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Liverpool

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Lots of robust rhetoric from the Gaffer at his press conference today but not a peep about team selection or injuries. Guessing then. Joe Bryan is out. Kevin McDonald is very doubtful - having limped off not long after coming on at half time against Huddersfield. Tom Cairney not sure - after lying on the pitch for a while holding his head, he eventually got up limping on that injured ankle.

What can you say about Liverpool? Well let's start with James Milner - exactly the kind of leader we're crying out for. Yet he probably won't make their starting Xl on Sunday.

Looking for possible cracks, is Salah last year's one season wonder? Is Firmino's smile shinier than his scoring at the moment? Hmm ... They can probably afford the odd indulgence with Van Dijk a persistent threat at set pieces and Mane a persistent threat, full stop. The one that worries me is Shaqiri. Left at home for their trip to Red Star Belgrade last Tuesday he'll almost certainly play and this season, not always being selected, appears to have removed his inconsistent trait.

Our defence is 'fluid', in every sense of the word; always changing and leaky. Our midfield is 'limp'. However, I'm going straight onto the attack. Schurrle in my view is the main part of our current problem; lazy, selfish, poor decision making and more. He, I believe, is the reason why the side is so unbalanced. Seri and Vietto hid for the best part of the Bournemouth game and all of the Huddersfield one. Both should be dropped.

So, getting down to it. Bit concerned that Mawson will be really, really rusty but he surely to goodness he has to start somewhere. And Schurrle, as much because the options are fast disappearing, gets the nod - hoping the Gaffer has had words and the 'big game' atmosphere will be a positive incentive.

................................Rico..................
    ..S Sessegnon..Mawson..Le Marchand...Odoi..
    ...................Christie.....Anguissa.....
    .........Cairney.......Schurrle........R Sessegnon....
    .............................Mitrovic....

2. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Certainly my opinion too (he's none too fast either) and as I said before, doesn't link with Mitro, hence he has hardly seen the target in recent times. I'd rather have Vietto, but AK has my vote, hopefully he has learned a lesson recently, but he gives us space in spades, something we are lacking.
    As for the others, a lottery, but whoever it is they need to believe and give it their all.

3. Cottager58

Talking in various post match interviews about his team's lack of fight,effort and ambition in recent games, the Gaffer has come out with another classic soundbite -

"We can’t sell our skin so cheap"

4. Cottager58

The man walking the pitch at lunchtime is Paul Tierney.

please log in to view this image

The fresh faced Wigan supporter only got promoted the year before last and has been used sparingly this season. He's had 6 games. In those, he's been fairly low key, handing out 23 yellows.

We've already seen him of course - in the Arsenal game at the Cottage. No reminders necessary and suspect Tierney will have forgotten it already. He had so little to do. Mind you, he still took time out to book Vietto and Schurrle.

5. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Yesterday's results will have ramped up the pressure on you.
    After our early kick off win, it was a little disappointing seeing those around us picking up points as well.

6. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Unbelievable!

Thats the sort of **** that goes against you when you're bottom of the league.

7. Cottager58

Too right. VAR says, "Get me out there"

upload_2018-11-11_13-3-5.png

8. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

Hope we kept the receipt for Anguissa

Cottager58 likes this.
  9. Cottager58

So, does Jokanovic get more breathing space ?

The team certainly worked more as a unit today. Equally certain is the question mark still persists over his subs.

10. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Found a bar showing this game and thought we looked okay in the first half. Not great, but okay. Second half we were God-awful. It was like a training game. We had no energy or creativity. There seemed no desire to get back into the game. The mentality seemed to be “let’s not lose by too many” rather than “let’s see if we can equalise.” I think he needs to go as the players don’t seem to give a toss and are quite happy to accept defeat once they go one down.

Anguissa is appalling. Complete waste of money. Chambers did okay. Sess isn’t kicking on, which is disappointing. Compare him to the two Liverpool youngsters Arnold and Robertson and he looks a year or so behind them at least. On the plus side Rico was brilliant, which allows me to say told you so. He will probably prove to be the best signing of the summer. Shame it’s only a loan.

Captain Morgan likes this.

11. Cottager58

Couldn't agree more with Fab and Fulhaman about Anguissa. His passing is sloppy. His tackles half hearted. And worse for me, he shows little 'football awareness' - when he loses the ball or whatever he invariably jogs towards where the ball now is, rather than thinking two moves ahead (to cover open spaces or ready to break up play). Very disappointing.

He's not alone though:

After decent displays in the opening three games Seri now looks totally disinterested. Even being dropped and used off the bench on Sunday didn't seem to be the kick up the back side he needed. He's been getting worse by the game. Very disappointing.

And I'm not sure where Scurrle was for most of Sunday. Granted he has skills but he's a 'luxury' player who we can ill afford at the moment. Not so despondent as with the other two though. It's more about when and how to use him, rather than his being automatically on the team sheet.

And on the positive side of negative:

Le Marchand did okay. However, still maintain he is not a left back for the Premiership.

And Tom Cairney was noticeable by his absence. However, do believe he's still carrying that ankle injury which, as mentioned in the opening post was aggravated in the Huddersfield game.

12. Fulhaman

Fulhaman Well-Known Member

Actually, Seri is starting to remind me of Mitrogulo (or however you spell it) in other words he has the air of a man who has just started to realise he has made a terrible mistake. I would expect he was pursuaded to sign on the back of some very big talk and future promises. All of a sudden he finds himself bottom of the league in an uncompetitive team. This is not the career step he was expecting and is probably looking at Arsenal, Chelsea, etc., and thinking he could have been playing for them (or at least in or about the squad). I fully expect him to go next summer (along with nearly everyone else if we get relegated) or, if he is of that type, to push for a move in January.

Cottager58 likes this.