1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Ipswich

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The Gaffer confirmed at today's press conference that Floyd Ayite is still out. He also said that Sone Aluko has a hip problem and will have a late fitness test. No mention of Tom Cairney.

Ipswich have started the season on a roll, so will be full of confidence. But they're still McCarthy's Ipswich - aggressive and direct.

The big question mark for us is Cairney. Really suspect he can't be fully fit. My preference is to hold him back, withdraw him from the Scotland squad - Strachan's unlikely to give him game time anyway - and get him properly sorted during the break.

Obviously Fonte will play but we need to ensure that players get closer to him. Aluko's absence may therefore be a blessing in disguise in that Jokanovic's options for wide players is limited, and he may forced to have two up front - together. But can he trust Kebano to play that role? Or Kamara? This is where we badly miss Piazon and Ayite.

My other doubt is over Norwood. Wouldn't play him - Johansen, Cisse and he are in similar roles - but if Cairney's out, there's little choice. So, an uncertain line-up of:

..........................Button...........
    ..Fredericks...Kalas...Ream...Sessegnon..
    ........................McDonald.......
    .......Norwood.....Cisse....Johansen..
    .....................Fonte..Kebano..

2. Cottager58

On reflection, we still need width and a better selection might be:

..........................Button...........
    .............Kalas.......Odoi.....Ream...
    ...Fredericks.....McDonald......Sessegnon..
    .............Cisse.................Johansen..
    .....................Fonte..Kebano..

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

Just like to wish all of you Cottagers who are making the trip up to Sunny Suffolk a safe and pleasant journey. <ok>

You gave us a lesson in how to play proper football on Boxing Day but I think this time around you will see a totally different approach from us! We will likely be starting with 4 Strikers!!

4. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Thanks for the best wishes
    Lucky you 4 strikers, we haven't got 1

5. johnnywarksmoustache

johnnywarksmoustache Well-Known Member

We beat a very good Brentford side last week but you boys will be our sternest test yet! I watched you play us off the park in both games last year and I have a lot of admiration for your style of play. If we beat you tomorrow then I will be convinced that we can be a real force this season.

6. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

No place for Ojo, Cottager? He's another good option either as a partner for Fonte or (more likely) a wide attacking player.

7. Cottager58

UOTE="Captain Morgan, post: 10889573, member: 1006859"]No place for Ojo, Cottager? He's another good option either as a partner for Fonte or (more likely) a wide attacking player.[/QUOTE]

Not from what I saw on Tuesday night, Captain. As I said in that thread, thought he should have been on the left rather the right wing but that aside he didn't track back or show any real intent. Can't see us getting away with playing him and Kebano.

Kebano wasn't a whole lot better on Tuesday but give him the benefit of experience.

8. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

We really need to put a shift in tomorrow for 90 mins and get a result. I'm ignoring the Bristol Rovers match as it was so bad and it was match to get some players experience. We've been a bit unlucky and gifted teams too but I think we will turn it around against Ipswich and get the win. (Fonte to get at least one of the goals)

2whitestripes likes this.
  9. Fabulous Fabio

Fabulous Fabio Well-Known Member

If Ream doesn't play today can we assume hes moving on given recent transfer speculation?

10. Cottager58

The man in the middle today is Paul Tierney.

please log in to view this image

We didn't see much of the Lancastrian last season - the 4-1 Fa Cup win over Hull at the Cottage was the only one of ours he ref'd. Although he was 4th official for the second leg play off game against Reading. In the Hull game he booked 5; McDonald, Johansen and Kalas for us.

By coincidence Tieney ref'd the very game that Jokanovic was in charge - against Hull. We went down 1-0. And to keep the coincidences going he also ref'd our corresponding match against Ipswich that season. It ended 1-1 with Scotty Parker the only player booked.

11. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

2-0 at the beginning of the second half. We seem to be playing well and great to see Fonte get his first goal. COYW!

12. Cottager58

And ....

What do I know, eh! Based on GJ's commentary he had a corker of a game.

Cravingawin and Captain Morgan like this.