1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Cardiff

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Cairney is back after the birth of his little un but Schurlle is elsewhere as his wife is about to give birth. Must have been something in the Thames Water.at the start of the season. Meanwhile the Boss at his press conference reckoned that Alfie Mawson was very much in contention.

Given recent results Colin will be very gung-ho in his chase after Brighton, although he's playing it down in the media as you'd expect. He's obviously without talisman Bamba and it looks like Arter and Ralls are doubtful. However, not a lot has changed in his team or style over the last two years and we've seen enough of them to know what to expect. He'll go 4-5-1. 'hold 'em high', scuttle about the field stopping the opposition and rely on set pieces.

A little known statistic pokes a hole in some of that perception of work rate though. Of all the teams in the Division, Cardiff on average have covered less ground per match than any other team - 104kms (or 64.7 miles in old money). By contrast, despite a whack of poor games, we've covered 4 miles more (only 1.5 miles less than Man City). One plausible theory behind these figures is the length of time Cardiff take on those long throw ins (time never added on) and time wasting in general.

For us, RB Marlon Fossey has been training with the first team squad - as have three other youngsters. However, the Boss clearly, from his press conference, wants to keep on a winning streak and other than Cairney don't see him changing the starting line up.

............................. Rico................
    ...Odoi.....Le Marchand..Ream....Bryan..
    ..................Chambers....Anguissa..
    .......Sessegnon......Cairney........Babel...
    .............................Mitrovic......

2. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

For me this is a must win game. Keep the run going and"Send Colin down!"

Cottager58 likes this.
  3. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Today might be the day you take us down with you, but I'm quite happy to be still in the fight with 3 games to go.
    Weather looks a bit rough today so it might come down to who wants it more.
    Think a few of your lads are fair weather players and go missing when it's a bit tough.
    Could go either way this one, you playing with freedom, being already relegated, but possibly with one eye on the beach and other players thinking about the transfer window and clubs that might take them back into the big league.
    We could be tense as the pressure is on, but I'm sure Colin will have them up for it.
    A few key injuries for us (Ralls out for the rest of the season - Not first choice but good cover), but we'll patch people up and crack on.
    Admit to being surprised where you've finished this season given the resources at you're disposal. Our relative positions are likely to be the same as last season, with us the place above you, consistent at least, though hopefully after today we're still in with the chance of being 2 places above you. I live more in hope than expectation.

4. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

To be fair, i really like the Cardiif fans - often pop on to your page as I like the banter and honest football opinions. I just don't like Warnock - he values sweat and effort over skill and he is a football dinosaur. If just Colin could go down I would be happy!
    I think we are finally beginning to play to the level we are capable of. Perhaps it is just because there's no pressure, but I think Parker is the key with that right mix of skill and motivation. Shame it came too late.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  5. ccfcremotesupport

Quite a few caidiff fans are disillusioned with the style of football Colin plays, though there have been glimpses of more free flowing, attacking football which have produced points.
    However, he was probably the right manager at the right time for us.
    After the debacle of playing in red, the Malky Mackey spat, ole's I'll fated stint which left a bloated squad to resolve and the turgid nature of slade, there were a lot of dispirate factions.
    Tan had gone AWOL, the fans were disillusioned (with dwindling attendances) the squad were disinterested with no direction.
    No doubt Colin has made mistakes. However, there is now a togetherness across the board. We've seen more of tan, Choo and dalman work closely with Colin, the squad (however limited) are all pulling in the same direction with the fans reconnected with the club.
    Love him or hate him, Colin has us in a better position than we were 2 seasons ago as a club.
    One of our issues was that Tan, Choo and Dalman were/are very inexperienced football men. Colin has brought that nous. When we get a new manager, I would love Colin to join the board to provide that footballing acumen, though I'm not sure he could keep out of the day to day stuff which could piss managers off.
    On balance though, I'm glad he's been with us.

Cottager58 likes this.
  6. Fred's Cultured Left Foot

As ever a great honest footballing assessment from the Cardiff fans. Interesting to put his effect on the club in perspective. I am still not a fan of Colin - i think of him as a bit of a Marmite manager you love him or you hate him - but a bit of his team spirit would have done us a lot of good earlier in the season.

ccfcremotesupport and Cottager58 like this.
  7. Cottager58

The ref battling the weather and Marmite Colin is Chris Kavanagh.

please log in to view this image

Another rookie and we haven't seen him at all this season before today.

The last time we had the pleasure however, was one of the most memorable nights at the Cottage - the 2-0 win over Derby in the play off semi final last season. Kavanagh was a tad grumpy mind you, booking 6 and 4 of them being ours; Johansen, Kamara, McDonald and Bettinelli.

He hails from Manchester but there's no gos around about which team he supports. For the record, so far in his 21 EPL games this season Kavanagh has dished out 74 yellows and 1 red.

8. ccfcremotesupport

An irritating manager to have against you, no doubt. One thing you have to say, he will be missed by many when he finally retires. Good value in his interviews and speaks his mind. Not bland like the vast majority of managers.
    We've lacked the quality of your squad but you've certainly missed the attitude of ours.

If we do stay up, I wonder what Khan will say about our 19th century football.:emoticon-0105-wink:

9. ccfcremotesupport

Be interesting how he deals with the conditions.
    The forecast in your neck of the woods says it will have dried up by kick off but the wind persists.
    Still undecided as to which way this game will go, but if Colin goes direct, your back 4 will be in for a long afternoon.

10. ccfcremotesupport

Said through gritted teeth, but well done lads. :emoticon-0106-cryin

not sure why we had to let you score before we started to play.

hope your lad with the head injury is ok.

11. Cottager58

Couldn't celebrate until knew Denis was okay. Parker says he was out cold and will have to go through all the concussion checks. However, the medics told him Denis was 'fine' and indeed he watched the second half.

Liked the way we started - sharp and first to the ball. But it didn't mre than 10 minutes or so. Quite sloppy then and Anguissa back to his complacent worse. Second half - up to the goal - we were more compact. And just for ccfcremote :

Thereafter it was all thanks to Rico.

ccfcremotesupport likes this.
  12. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

First half very few chances from either side, the flow of the game probably disrupted by the long stoppage for the Odoi injury. Well deserved win for the second half performance where our midfield must take a lot of credit.

As I said to a few Cardiff fans in the pub afterwards, I expected Cardiff to give it more of a go from the start, they only woke up once we scored. Superb saves again from Rico at the end - that's incredibly three clean sheets in a row, and of course three wins - all too late but always enjoy a win.

2whitestripes likes this.