1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Burton

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

The games come thick and fast in this League. The Gaffer was up for his press conference for this one earlier and was surprisingly subdued. Perhaps because he had to acknowledge that Cairney and Fonte are again ruled out, while Soares hasn't yet started training with the squad.

Burton are well, Burton and you don't always know what to expect. They had a more than credible 0-0 at Carrow Road on Tuesday night and Clough is likely to keep the same team, although Akpan's back from suspension and may come in. That means they'll play 3-5-2, with Sordell being a handful up front.

For us, reckon Jokanovic took a risk playing Kebano last night and not sure why since Mollo when he replaced him looked more than capable. In fact I felt we looked more solid and organised from that point on. Can think of a few formations I'd like to see, given we're where we are with injuries. However, suspect the Gaffer will stick with Wednesday's line-up, except maybe Johan Mollo starting.

.........................Button....................
    ..Fredericks..Kalas...Ream..Sessegnon...
    ........................McDonald....
    ............Johansen........Norwood....
    ....Ojo................Ayite..............Mollo...

PS Sess will be lucky to keep his place.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

So why not put Odoi in at full back and put Sess where he belongs, on the left wing?

Button
    Fredericks Kalas Ream Odoi
    McDonald
    Johansen Norwood
    Ojo Ayite Sessegnon

3. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

RS has built a reputation, so he will be closely marked one or two men on, this could give
    free range to our other forwards

4. Cottager58

'Cos I like Mollo.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  5. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Burton are one of those teams who seem to up their game against the top clubs at home, so I think it will be a tough game.

I'd put Kamara up front to begin, I think if we keep their Center backs occupied there will space for our midfield to exploit.

2whitestripes likes this.
  6. Cottager58

Today's man is Steve Martin.

upload_2017-9-16_9-55-16.jpeg

The Staffordshire whistler is said to be mild mannered. Well, so far this season he has only booked 6 in 6 games; and all the cards in fact came in just two of those matches. He can equally be accused of being 'The Man With Two Brains', as we could probably attest when he ref'd the replayed game against Reading last January after the first match had been abandoned.

Not for the two penalties he gave, one for each side and both really soft. Our very own Martin missed our kick; Button saved theirs but Beerens scored from the rebound for them and that proved to the winning goal. No, the contention is with the hard arm tactics he allowed Reading get way with. Two of theirs got booked and, you guessed it, Chris Martin for us.

The other games we saw him last season were the 2-1 home win against Rotherham in December and the 0-0 draw away to Wigan in September. He was fairly quiet in both and only the Wigan game saw yellow cards; 1 each side with Denis Odoi being ours.

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I always like his films, funny guy!

8. Cottager58

Not sure what was worse, our finishing or the referee?

9. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Mid championship side. Mid table tactic. Mid table mindset
    Will Christmas make me eat my words, I do hope so, but not to optimistic at the moment. ,

10. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

Very disappointing. I don't see that as a penalty but even so it seems we did not create enough up front again. Dare I say we missed Aluko today.

11. 2whitestripes

Sorry lads, he was playing his part in the film "The Jerk" and not funny in the least.

Cottager58 likes this.
  12. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

The usual excuses are there for us to see.
    They had a soft penalty - We should have had a penalty - We hit the woodwork - We had 70% of possession - The referee was useless. We have injuries to key players.

But I think that some of the problems have to be laid at Jokanovic's feet.
    Jokanovic never changes our tactics to fit the team we are playing. His philosophy is to play a passing possession game no matter what team we are playing, in the belief that is what will prevail. It's the old Arsen Wenger stubborn mentality. Unless you can dominate games and take your chances to create a dominance so that they get demoralised, there will be teams who will turn us over.
    A lot of times when he changes substitutes it doesn't change the game as he plays the same way.

You hear from managers all the time, we know the way Fulham are going to play we just have to counter it, sometimes they, do some times they don't.

It may sound funny but there are teams like Burton who we need to give more of the ball too, because they are not as comfortable on the ball as we are, and we can profit from their mistakes in dangerous areas, and that too is down to the coaching.

Cottager58 and Fulham COYW like this.
  13. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

We have to accept that the refereeing of matches in the Championship is going to be substandard and decisions made will work for or against us, Today we met with a particularly inept referee who when he sees the replay of the penalty and numerous fouls he gave or did not give, I'm sure he will feel shameful on his performance.

We have to accept also though that the penalty was on 51 mins and we had plenty of time to correct the situation and failed to do so. We have to make 70% possession count - for me it is missing the cutting edge up front, a target man or even just a goal poacher.

I'm trying justify a draw as a fair result based on 70% possession but I think Burton played a classic away tactic and it paid off this time round, with thanks to the referee.

14. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

Tending to agree with S B McB is our tactics all one dimensional,and when we have a full
    strength squad will they adapt.
    I have mentioned in the past about Humphrey, a big speedy lad who could be an asset
    in the forward line if only for his nuisance value to opposition defences, but as yet given
    no game time.

15. Surlyc

Surlyc Well-Known Member

I think Kamara provides that role, Ros.

The Ayite as a striker experiment is a demonstrable failure. Yes he has scored some goals, but he doesn't lead the line and create space for our other pacy forwards.I assume Kamara was not a Slavisa signing, but I cannot believe he was not good enough to start away at Burton.

It's a frustrating situation where Slavisa seems to be trying to play the perfect football rather than the effective football. Sadly the latter is usually the former. We don't seem to have adapted to Cairney's absence and the result is that we are fitting square pegs in round holes.

16. 2whitestripes

Having only listened to GJ yesterday and see the penalty on Sky I still believe we will overcome the current problems.
    It was apparent early on that Ojo was either diving everywhere, as well as our other forwards, or they were not protected by what appears to be a substandard ref. How the penalty was awarded is impossible to say, if Ryan fouled I don't see it, there was also thought of a handball, again unnoticeable in reply after reply. We won't get an explanation so all is well eh.
    Against Ipswich we played them off the park but Cairney was playing, only his second game and unfortunately has been absent since. Fonte has only appeared twice/ thrice too, the first of which was just off the plane, so impact awaits. With our new left back, Ryan can take the wing position where he is better suited.
    The team without our key players will not be as we experience last season or as anticipated better, but this should come. To miss Cairney is natural, he is the best in the division and for the most part irreplaceable.
    As for tactic, ours will defeat all else in the Championship but this is not smooth due to injuries. We have used Kamara to change things around and yesterday added forwards to push on but with Burton parking the bus for the most part of the game we were held off, the ref did the rest. Teams are adapting to our tactics which is a whole lot better than us changing tactics each week to do the opposite.
    I still believe.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  17. Cottager58

Yet our £5m signing wasn't even in the 18 man squad.

Would add 86% successful pass rate to the 70% possession (both the highest in the division on the day). But only 2 shots on target says everything about where those passes and possession were.

The most galling thing about yesterday was the results elsewhere. What a Missed opportunity !!!

18. GeraScores

GeraScores Well-Known Member

I was at the game and agree with all these points. Some random musings.
    - Up front: Ayite is not a leader of the line; Ojo needs to get his head together; Kamara was not in the squad and while he is not the long-term answer, he will scare many defenders. Rui Fonte may be the key once he's got 100% match fitness.
    - Having criticised Button, he had a reasonable game.
    - We don't have adequate cover for TC. SJ works well, but we need both! KMac put in a shift - as we've come to expect
    - While it was 1-1, I thought we had a good chance, despite playing under par; we were all a long way from the penalty, but it seemed soft, no worse that a one we could have claimed. Later video seemed to confirm the doubt. The Assistant also got some stick from our fans, but was right in most instances - although the one-on-one with the keeper I'd like to see again. Still, refereeing is not easy.
    - Still, we should be winning games like this. Which comes back to Jokanovic needing to mix it up better.

Apart from the result, the trip to Burton was enjoyable. A reminder of some of the old days mid-90s. And as a number of pointed out: Faggots and Peas for lunch!

Boro on Saturday - COYW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!