1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team v Brentford

Discussion in 'Fulham' started by Cottager58, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Cottager58

Cottager58 Well-Known Member

Thankfully, despite being poleaxed by that tackle right at the end of the Reading game, Sessegnon is okay. As is Johansen, who limped off at a stately pace in the second half. Indeed the Gaffer confirmed at today's press conference that the only guys out are Ayite (at least another 7 days with his hamstring) and Ojo (no comment!)

Brentford boss Dean Smith has been 'mixing and matching' his team selection of late. However he'll be missing a couple through injury tomorrow, including Alan Judge. He will nonetheless welcome back the wonderfully named Florian Jozefzoon and Ryan Woods, returning from a red card 3 match ban. Woods can best be described as an 'old fashioned' footballer, with all the images that conjures up.

The problem with Brentford is you never quite know which team will turn up on the day. Was really surprised, and disappointed, at how easily they rolled over against Cardiff a couple of weeks ago. Still with three 1-0 wins on the bounce, they're back in the fringe pack vying for the play offs. However, a draw is unlikely to be of any help and they're bound to be fighting for the 3 points. And keep an eye out for danger man Ollie Watkins.

For us, it's as ever that right wing spot which is in question. Take your pick between Piazon and Kebano.

..........................Bettinelli..............
    ..Fredericks...Odoi.....Ream....Targett..
    .........................McDonald.....
    ...........Cairney................Johansen...
    .....Piazon..........Mitrovic........Sessegnon...

With Kebano being the impact sub.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Super Brian McBride likes this.
  2. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

It's becoming the usual suspects line up, the question can the team keep up the level of performance. I thought there were cracks against QPR, but they've come through a few games since. I think the game will revolve around the last 15 minutes depending on what the score is. Which team will be more nervous as both need 3 points.

Cottager58 likes this.
  3. Trowley_Fulham

Trowley_Fulham New Member

Personally, I'd like to see Kebano start in place of Piazon. I know he's seen as an impact "super-sub", but he was terrific in his cameo against Reading.

4. Cottager58

Welcome Trowley.

Difficult choice and arguably Kebano works harder at covering back. Has to be a case of "in Slavisa we trust" I guess.

5. Cottager58

SuperBri's prediction of us being assigned a Premiership ref continues. For this evening's match we've been given Neil Swarbrick.

upload_2018-4-14_11-53-15.jpeg

The Preston whistler seems to be the 'quiet man' of football. He's only really got two claims to fame:

1. In his 22 games so far this season, he has handed out ZERO red cards;

2. His very first Premiership match was at the Cottage - our 0-0 draw with Sunderland back in December 2010

6. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

Neil, on behalf of all Fulham fans around the world WE LOVE YOU!:emoticon-0152-heart

Looking for all the assistance and angles possible :1980_boogie_down:

7. 2whitestripes

2whitestripes Well-Known Member

I'm voting for Piazon this time, so Kebano gets a start.

8. Cottager58

Ouch !! That hurt.

Before he subbed the sub, the Gaffer was getting very animated at Kebano playing somewhere over in the left back position. So can only presume that's why he took him off. Do believe that was a big mistake however.

I guess we were always going to sit back in the final 10 minutes or so but by then we had no outlets when the ball was cleared forward. The one time we did, and in injury time, Kebano's replacement Christie carelessly passed inside to one of them rather than try to win a corner or a throw in. What if ..... !?

Fair play to Brentford. Ryan Woods was terrific and not only did they play some very decent football, they weren't afraid to have a go. Thankfully Bettinelli was in fine form (apart from his kicking that is).

But hey, we're now 21 undefeated and after going 1-0 up today we had a real purple patch; full of the sharpness and skill us fans know and love. So the old dog is still very much alive and kicking.

#FULFORCE

9. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I feel for you guys conceding so late. At what point does preparation for the play-offs become paramount. Friday´s match could well be a dress rehearsal for the first leg of a play-off.

Don´t be too surprised to see Villa ease off in readiness for those games. It seems as if your team are running on empty reading the match reports.

Cottager58 likes this.
  10. Trowley_Fulham

Trowley_Fulham New Member

Feeling sick, no words can describe how I feel!

11. kunye

kunye Well-Known Member

It reminded me of the old days when we failed to defend properly in the last 5 minutes or so.
    If we could have held on for a win it would have put Cardif under pressure in
    there remaining matches, i do so hope we are not the bridesmaid again..
    Nevertheless a cracking game

12. Fulham COYW

Fulham COYW Well-Known Member

To be fair a draw was a fair result reflecting on 90 mins of the game but them scoring so late was such a gutter. Brentford played well and their ginger haired guy was very good.

Really puzzled on the Kebano sub, I thought Kebano was doing well and thought it must have been an injury. Mistake there from Joka I think.

Playoffs it may be but we have almost a week to rest and go again. I think the team does need a rest, we have played a lot of games with almost the same players and it has been telling in the last few games. Still a few twists and turns to come !

13. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I recall Southampton getting promotion in season 2011/12, finishing second just ahead of West Ham who had managed to overcome a temporary slump and won something like 6 or 7 on the bounce at the end of the regular season. They kept that form going into the play-offs. If it is the play-offs enjoy them and play without fear. Your team is a very good footballing team and probably as good as Wolves in terms of ability. Pity you got off to such a slow start, drawing games when you should have been winning.

Whatever happens I hope you resist all bids less than 200m for Ryan Sessegnon.

Captain Morgan and Cottager58 like this.
  14. ccfcremotesupport

ccfcremotesupport Well-Known Member

Fulham could easily have been 2-0 down before they scored. A legitamit goal chalked off and blatant movement of hands towards the ball. Lucky to get a point.
    As for conceding late, it's a 90 minute game (plus add ons). They count equally in the first to 90+ minute. Could call it sloppy for not defending to the last whistle.

As you can imagine, I'm not complaining.:1980_boogie_down:

15. Super Brian McBride

Super Brian McBride Well-Known Member

Think it was a fair result but obviously gutted with their late goal, as it would have been nice to have another game where we weren't at our best and get 3 points for the win. Still 21 games undefeated keeps the momentum going with a very tricky trip to Millwall on Friday, but winning that game may put a bit of pressure on Cardiff, but against a Forest side who aren't scoring it seems a nailed on 3 points for them. Either Derby or Hull may be their trickiest, but I can't see them losing.

I too didn't understand the substitutions, personally the last 2 subs I wouldn't have made. I thought Piazon might have had a bit more influence in a game like this but he and Cairney didn't really bring their 'A' game.

On about Refs, I wonder what Premier Ref Sky have brought in for the games with Millwall & Sunderland ?

16. Cottager58

Ryan Woods. Weird shape but wonderful skill and range of passing. Best man on the pitch yesterday.

Apart from anything they added at least 1 minute of extra time.

Harking back to the Kebano one, the Gaffer told the local paper it was 'tactical'. Well,when Brentford scored we had two right backs on the field and you'd have thought one of them would be covering the back post when the cross came in from the left. Just watched the highlights. When the move started out on our right, Christie was actually at right back position just outside our box and Fredericks was inside him on the edge of the box. When the cross came over, the pair of them were still in exactly those positions.

Conclusion - neither was clear what their role was and that flies in the face of 'tactics'.

17. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Forest beat Wolves away earlier in the season and hate us with a passion, they aren't going to roll over for us. Derby who are doing well will be very tricky and Hull are a bit of a bogey team for us. With Reading the last game of the season, this is very much open. I have no doubt it will go down to the last game of the season. I think Millwall is your only tough game remaining. I am absolutely sh*tting myself. All the best guys, both sets of fans will be supporting the oppositions of each of our fixtures from now on. I've hated this run in as I've always liked Fulham as a club <laugh>.

18. Cottager58

Cheers Jay-Rede. Fair play to your guys, they've been up there throughout the season and that's no mean feat in this League.

Not sure I agree with you about Derby though. If memory serves, after 12 games they were lying second and one point ahead of you. While you took over from them, Derby nonetheless stayed in the play off spot. Until now that is. They've lost it in recent games (as they have in the last few seasons) and have now dipped below the line. Dodgy form at the moment then. Mind you Rowett's public lashing at the weekend might just be enough for their players to give you a fight for the points.

Jay-Rede likes this.
  19. Jay-Rede

Jay-Rede Well-Known Member

Away games are always tough for us mate. I'm trying to remain level headed and not jynx us. I've said from the start, if we finish automatic this season I would be taking an interest in Fulham's play off's and cheering them on. I just can't see you guys slipping up now though, 21 games unbeaten is phenomenal!

Cottager58 likes this.