1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

team of the week

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by benditlikeabanana, Sep 24, 2012.

1. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Rickie and Clyne both made the BBC team of the week, probably the lazy mans choice as they scored and arguaments could be made that others in the team played as well, but congrats
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19696192

2. RickieGoalMachine

Lambert was definitely our best attacking player for me and he wouldn't have wanted to put two of our attackers in the side so he went for Clyne as the second option. He got it right. Whether that's by luck or good judgement doesn't matter he got it right imo

3. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

Ramirez was quite a bit better than Lambert, but hey ho. Probably good if Ramirez doesn't get too much media attention early on.

4. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Really it should be called "individuals of the week". Team of the week, was Southampton.

Not sure why Rickie is right midfield though...

5. RickieLambertsGoldenBoot

RickieLambertsGoldenBoot Well-Known Member

Congratulations to the two of them <ok>

<cheers>

6. RickieGoalMachine

Looks like a mistake. He's down as a forward in the write up

7. RickieGoalMachine

Strange you think that considering Lambert scored the powerful opener, passed to Ramirez for the goal he set up, passed to Puncheon and played the ball to Mayuka which got the penalty. Then he thundered the penalty home. I'd understand if you said Ramirez pips Lambert as he passed the ball so well but quite a bit better no

8. randomsamno9

randomsamno9 Member

Ramirez and Lambert ended up in the Sky team of the week.

9. Dan

Dan Well-Known Member

I thought Lambert was quite wasteful all game. Not to say he was bad because what he needed to do, in the end, he did very well. But I thought his all round play was lacking - an opinion backed up by an appalling 62% pass accuracy (compared to Ramirez's 89%). Ramirez set up far more opportunities than Lambert did, and would have set up a number more if not for a few (perhaps controversial) offside calls. Watching the 90 minutes rather than just the highlights made it clear (to me and several others) that Ramirez had a better game.

10. RickieGoalMachine

Passing accuracy is less relevant for someone playing a role like Lambert. He had 64% accuracy against Man United in which he also had a great game. Not sure how Ramirez was setting up 'far more' opportunities when Lambert played 2 passes directly leading to goals and another that made Ramirez's assist possible amongst others.

And by the way if this is wasteful I'd love to see him on form. Because I'm expecting him to be involved in at least 8 goals when he's not wasteful with that logic

11. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

To shed a different view on Lambert's performance. I thought he was great again, scored two and had a hand in the other goals - fabulous. I thought his passing apart from the lead up to the goals was poor by his standard. It is important someone like Rickie passes well this season, as he will be relied on to keep us in possession of the ball when we have been under pressure for periods of a game.

I just gave Ramirez MOM ahead of Fonte, Yoshida, Lambert and mainly because I was blown away by the sheer class and ease in which he plays football. That takes nothing away from Rickie though.

12. SAINTDON13

SAINTDON13 Well-Known Member

Lambo's passing was OK it was the players he was with, not anticipating what he was trying to do, one classic example in the first half was when he played a peach of a pass to Puncheon, who just at that moment went forward too quick and ball went behind him and the opportunity was lost, Puncheon ran across to Rickie and apologised for getting it wrong and they shook hands on it and got on with the game.

13. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

Lots of great passes on Saturday, but the funniest one was when Adam passed to himself via Punch, great anticipation & fooled the villa player. <laugh>

14. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

<ok> it was brilliant

15. SFC5BAG

SFC5BAG Member

Always great to see Saints players named here

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Always thought that it was a shame that Tiss couldn't pass the ball to himself....well Lallana proved you can<laugh>

17. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Short interview with Ramirez on Sky site. Says Saints were only team in for him with a concrete offer and our enthusiasm for him was decider. Can't speak English but a few Spanish and italian speakers are helping him. Says team is young and enthusiastic and he is pleased to be here.

18. rabbitspectrum

lallana's pass to himself was the turning point in the match as after that he supplied the cross for Lambert's equaliser. Was a great goal as was clyne's and puncheon's. Lallana just needs to learn to pass the ball into the net and we will have another regular international in our team.

19. SFC5BAG

SFC5BAG Member

Glad to see he is pleased to be a Saint. Looks like a great player to add to the team think he will add alot to our game

20. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

It was Thierry Henry-esque.