1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Team for the Prem

Discussion in 'Leeds United' started by 2020VisionofLeeds, Sep 11, 2017.

1. 2020VisionofLeeds

2020VisionofLeeds Well-Known Member

always good to give the Millwall lads hiding in Germany something to hope for, so here's my hostage to fortune:

We are playing in a way I've not seen for decades, team built on strong defence, midfield dominating, all midfield and forwards capable of scoring, all the team defending, 50-50 balls getting won a lot, lesser teams getting annihilated. Being an old git (apologies for trade mark violations) I keep thinking of the great Revie team because all of the above applied to them (and more).

Made me think, when (sic) we go up next season, who of the current team are Prem quality?

Will post my thoughts shortly (when my dear wife allows me to waste more of my time on here).

2. 2020VisionofLeeds

For me its: (and I ought say up front I am a big fan of some players who I don't think are right for the Prem, by the way):

The NO's are Ayling, Anita, Dallas (unless this experiment as LB comes off), Sacko, Berardi,

Possibles - Pennington (too early to say),l Cooper (just maybe, if he can keep this form), Roofe (ditto), Wiedwald (no idea as he's hardly had to play yet), Hernandez (just a slight doubt if hes in a team that is struggling more than at present), Phillips (almost a YES, need to see improvement all season), Vieira (in time), Klich (not seen enough yet), Shaugnessy (in time), Grot (maybe in time but a lot to do), Cibicki (no idea)

YESs - Alioski, OKane, Jansson, Saiz, Lasogga (based on 1 game, admittedly)

Those not mentioned, I have no opinion yet.

So we have got almost half a team of YES's, and lots of possibles of whom some I doubt will make it but some I'm pretty sure will

I don't think that's bad, in previous seasons I thought hardly any of the team were good enough for Prem.

As I'm in "In Rad, TC and the bloke with the beard I trust" mode, I'm confident we could hit 2018-9 season in the Prem with a squad to take us at least to mid table.

Fck me, how many hostages to fortune are there in this article?

Eireleeds1 and davy like this.
  3. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Lassoga, Cibicki, Alioski, Saiz, Felix, Pennington, Pontus, CBJ, Cooper, Ayling, Grot

4. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Oh and the new slope

5. Whitejock

Whitejock Well-Known Member

I know this is a bit of a 'getting carried away' thread, and I'm up for it, but can we afford to get excited by our loanees being of PL standard? No guarantee we'll sign them up - in fact there's little evidence that we'll get the chance with 2 of them! What I'm trying to say is that if you assume that none of them will sign for us, how much of a PL team remains?

20/20 has 4 deffos, plus Lasogga, the one loanee we're most likely able to sign.

Doc has listed 11 players, also including Lasogga, but he's also included Penn & BJ, both of whom genuinely appear to have some sort of future with their home club.

Me? Gonna have a good long think about it. Got to be ruthless in this thread, and as I've discovered with this house move I'm doing, my kind of ruthless appears to be laughable. To explain: we're making our final move, from a big 4 bed to a 'comfortable' 3 bed with garage. As we're doing extensive building work, we're renting another 3 bed for 6 months. We've managed to fill one house, 2 garages & 2 huts to the brim. Took me a week to move enough boxes to be able to see the telly. Still got about 60 55l tuf crates to unload here, but no-where to put anything. And all this after our 'ruthless' evaluation of our stuff. Oxfam has been able to open another branch, & the guys at the tip have been on permanent overtime all summer. And yet we're still fcuked. So what I'm saying is, before I can truly answer this thread, I need to do at least 10 evaluations to become anywhere close to ruthless. Still awake? :D

southernwhite and LeeUtd like this.
  6. 2020VisionofLeeds

don't forget him, only 21 too

7. 2020VisionofLeeds

We may be going off topic here, but you have very eloquently explained why my wife and I are unlikely so move from our house of the last 17 years until carried out in wooden boxes.

Whitejock likes this.
  8. 2020VisionofLeeds

Going down memory lane - looking at an LUFC announcement of last seasons squad numbers, only 7 of last seasons squad likely to be in current team, and only 4/5 are likely to be selected in reality

None of them feature in my list of definitely fit for the Prem (though to be fair, the 5 likely to be selected are all in my "possibles" list.

This backs up my assertion we are way way better placed than last season (or any other recent season) to survive in the Prem

Squad numbers confirmed for the new season...
    Leeds United first-team squad numbers for the 2016/17 season are as follows:
    1. Robert Green
    3. Sol Bamba
    4. Toumani Diagouraga
    5. Kyle Bartley
    6. Liam Cooper ********************
    7. Kemar Roofe ********************
    8. Luke Murphy
    9. Chris Wood
    10. Marcus Antonsson
    11. Souleymane Doukara
    12. Marco Silvestri
    15. Stuart Dallas ******************
    16. Matt Grimes
    19. Pablo Hernandez ******************
    20. Jordan Botaka
    21. Charlie Taylor
    22. Ross Turnbull
    23. Kalvin Phillips ************************
    24. Hadi Sacko
    25. Ronaldo Vieira ************************
    27. Alex Mowatt
    28. Gaetano Berardi *********************
    30. Bailey Peacock-Farrell
    31. Lewie Coyle
    33. Tyler Denton

9. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

WJ get in rouch with that ugly bird off the telly she goes to the dump and grabs your shyte then has them fixed up, then she flogs them giving tou thousands of pounds profit <laugh>

Agree eegarding CbJ & Pennington as both are highly thought of at their clubs, but this is footy. penningtons dad is chuffed hes at Leeds & if we get promotion who knows, especially if no first team place for either of them?

Whitejock likes this.
  10. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

Let's all just keep calm shall we so this doesn't become the 'blow up in your face thread'. Six games so far. We'll know more once we've played everyone once <ok>

11. 2020VisionofLeeds

Its intended to tempt fate. I'm feeling brave today ;)

Leedsoflondon likes this.
  12. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Its a piss take, let off steam thread & will die a death tomoz, but hopefully resurrected after Xmas when the dream turns into reality....

We hope

13. Leedsoflondon

Leedsoflondon Well-Known Member

<yikes><yikes><yikes>

14. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

Im holding out on commenting till after my promised ten game mark. Another three or four nil win tonight would make it very difficult

southernwhite and LeedsInHeaven like this.
  15. southernwhite

southernwhite Well-Known Member

I will tell you what though,from what i have seen so far,this team could more than hold their own in the premiership,yes we are probably getting carried away,but after all these years in the wilderness,we can now dare but dream about it finally becoming a reality.MOT everyone as i am one happy bunny so far this season.:emoticon-0102-bigsm

16. Eireleeds1

Eireleeds1 Well-Known Member

I agree. Watched the Huddersfield West Ham effort last night and the thought crossed my mind several times, nothing at all special about these. Theres lots more in the PL worse

FORZA LEEDS likes this.