1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City v Hull City

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Swansea City v Hull City

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - 3 August 2019
    Venue - The Liberty Stadium
    Kick off - 3pm

So after an eventful close season that has seen Swans’ Manager Graham Potter headhunted and leave for Brighton, we have yet another man at the helm of the Swans, England’s U17s World Cup Winning Manager Steve Cooper.

I’m sure that every Swans’ fan will be wishing Steve the very best and hoping that he can bring success to the Club.

However, as expected, the (apparent) need for Cash has resulted in 2 young Swans being sold (for a reported £38m in total), with Dan James going to Man Utd and Oli McBurnie to Sheffield United.

Other departures were needed to again generate cash - by getting highly paid players off the payroll, including Leroy Fer, Martin Olsson and Wilfried Bony.

Cooper has managed to make some signings, however, including Ben Wilmott (on loan from Watford), Kristoffer Pederson from Heracles and Jake Bidwell, formerly of QPR.

Hull City are the visitors to the Liberty for Cooper’s first competitive fixture.

The Swans have played Hull on 76 occasions previously, winning 30, losing 29 and drawing 17.

Without a shadow of a doubt, the match played at the Vetch Field on 3 May 2003 is the most famous of the lot - a James Thomas hat-trick helping the Swans to a 4-2 victory which ensured FL status for the Jacks.

Looking ahead to Saturday, the first match of the season is always difficult to forecast, but as we are at home, I’m going for a 2-1 win for the Swans! <cheers>

2. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

The club will be lucky to get a draw ....So it is 0 - 0 for me.....

3. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

3-0 win , Fulton, Celina and Routledge

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  4. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

2-0 Swans. Dyer and Celina with the goals. :)

5. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

4-0 Jacks

6. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Nil Nil, Really boring game because it's Hull.

Failing that we'll win 2-1.

Rhodthesod likes this.
  7. Taffvalerowdy

Let’s get some ‘atmosphere’ and omph for the new season

8. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Hull seem to have been a bogey team over the last few seasons so i'm plumping for a draw. McBurnie has said his farewells, but there was a period last season when he didn't play and our front line improved....but we had Dan James.

An open game of football, it's going to be 2-2 <ok>

9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

From the BBC Football site :

upload_2019-8-1_16-38-16.png
    Starting tomorrow ??? Really ???
    Cooper must have absolutely no faith in our keepers then.

10. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

see this just doesn't work for me, you have to build up relationships within the system and the keeper and his back 4 is mega important. I just hope they don't do it Saturday.

this has draw all over it, 2-2 for me.

11. Taffvalerowdy

Steve Cooper expects to sign a striker before next Thursday's transfer deadline after Swansea City sold Oli McBurnie to Sheffield United.

Swans coach Cooper hoped to keep McBurnie, but the Scotland forward is moving in a £20m deal.

His exit leaves Swansea short of attacking options on the eve of the new Championship season.

"We do need a couple of extra bodies and I think we need another striker, that's for sure," Cooper said.

"I'm pretty sure we will bring more in but I'm not sure about the exact number."

Swansea turned down three offers from the Blades for McBurnie before accepting a bid which is worth around £17.5m rising to £20m.

Losing last season's 24-goal leading scorer is far from ideal preparation ahead of Saturday's second-tier opener against Hull, but Cooper said: "We just need to look forward.

"It's a deal that's been done by the club and first of all we have to wish Oli well. He's a fantastic person and a really good player.

"He's now got an opportunity to ply his trade in the Premier League so we're all very proud of him.

"We'd have loved it to be with Swansea City but at the same time, you have to wish him all the best.

"I'm focused on looking forward because the moment we stand still, we lose ambition and motivation. That isn't going to be us this year and that isn't the feeling in the group or the club."

Woodman in, Peterson next?
    Swansea are set to boost their attacking options by signing Heracles' Swedish international Kristoffer Peterson, who is in Wales for a medical.

"We're excited about that," Cooper said. "He's a player I know from my role with Liverpool. It's been a while since he was there and he's carved a career for himself since leaving which I've followed."

Swansea have made a surprise move for goalkeeper Freddie Woodman, who is tipped to start against Hull after joining on a season-long loan from Newcastle United.

McBurnie's exit also means Borja could make his first Swans appearance since May 2017 this weekend.

The £15.5m striker has spent the last two seasons on loan in his native Spain having scored only once in his maiden campaign at Swansea.

"He's in the mix," Cooper said. "He's worked incredibly hard and trained very well and made a good impact. He could be a good option for us."

12. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Sky Sports has it down as 3-2 and that scoreline would not surprise me but the scorers of the three goals might <cheers>

13. Taffvalerowdy

Oli in SUFC kit

14. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Someone should tell him red doesn’t suit him with his hair colour <laugh>

15. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Excellent business.IMO

16. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

I agree, there's no way Oli is worth £20 Million. I don't think he'll make any impact in the PL. He's ok at Championship level but nothing more.
    We've been lucky to get that price for him.

17. Taffvalerowdy

Nottingham evening paper:

Swansea City have reportedly made an enquiring and are working on a deal to sign striker Jason Cummings from Nottingham Forest , according to Football Insider.

The Welsh club are looking to replace 22-goal striker Oliver McBurnie who is heavily linked with a £20m move to join Premier League Sheffield United.

Cummings, who has just a year left on his current deal, joined the Reds back in 2017 from Hibernian for a fee understood to be just shy of £1m.

swanseaandproud likes this.
  18. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

Please god no, his goal ratio is very poor, failed on loan twice, but I guess we would be mug enough to sign him, I am sure Cooper must have spoken to him once before that should be enough. Surely we can do better than this.

19. Taffvalerowdy

Swansea City confirmed the arrival of Swedish forward Kristoffer Peterson as the club’s new number 11.

MasterOfNone likes this.
  20. NorfolkSwan

NorfolkSwan Well-Known Member

BBC saying Routledge has picked up a knock and is unlikely to start...debut for Peterson already...?