1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Swansea City : The Fall and Rise.

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by LIBERTARIAN, May 20, 2013.

1. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

yes :laugh: , a club legend

2. Kifflom!

Kifflom! Well-Known Member

Great programme. At the end a few things sprung to mind - firstly, what price Martinez coming back one day? If he took lessons in defensive coaching I'd have him back. Whatever the case he still has feelings for us <hug> Secondly, why no Rodgers interview? Bet they asked for one.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, what a contrast to the Scum. Ran up mountains of debt year after year trying to get promotion; a succession of owners who loaned them money then called in the debt; huge problems with HMRC; season tickets sold in advance under false pretences by Ridsdale, effectively conning their fans; a specuator Chairman who obliterated their identity by changing their badge and colours and judging by his comments about selling has no real love for the Club. Finally, most fans from other Clubs in the Prem have real concerns about this lot. My ST holder mate at Fulham reckons they are really not looking forward to playing them because of fears relating to their fans' still awful reputation.

What a difference. Contrary to their ridiculous logo, there's no real passion at all, though lots of fire. <laugh>

So proud to be a Swan! <ok>

3. Matthew Bound Still Lurks

Matthew Bound Still Lurks Well-Known Member

There was definitely a lot missed out but due to programme timings meant a lot of editing but considering the dross which has followed the programme I'm really disappointed now

4. LIBERTARIAN

LIBERTARIAN Well-Known Member

Martinez really impressed me. He's a real class act,and I hope his detractors here will take some time to reflect on what he did for the Club,and forgive his one indiscretion.

Overall,I thought it was a terrific programme,(well,I would,wouldn't I),and didn't really want it to end.

They must be throwing up in Legoland,as I type. How on earth can they follow that?

5. LIBERTARIAN

6. Kifflom!

I agree, Vetch. I thought RM came across very well and spoke sincerely about his time here. He was so important for us on and off the pitch and people have conveniently forgotten that. I was genunely shocked that Rodgers didn't contribute though, either by design or otherwise. <ok>

7. Kifflom!

8. DragonPhilljack

DragonPhilljack Well-Known Member

Well I was going to come on here and discuss tonights program, but I'll come back when all this crap is over!.....................<doh>

9. Jager

Jager Well-Known Member

And have finished your wind ups elsewhere <whistle>

10. ValleyGraduate12

ValleyGraduate12 Aberdude's Puppet
    Forum Moderator

Agree KJ and Vetch. The way RM spoke speaks volumes of how much he still regards the club and fans, and should he be able to sort out the defensive side of his management, then I wouldn't be disappointed if he were to return one day. After all without him taking up the managers seat, I have no doubt that we would still be in the lower leagues of English football. Deserves a hell of a lot more credit for the transformation of the club than he receives.

11. ivoralljack

ivoralljack Well-Known Member

As much as the way he left disgusted me, I will always give him credit for developing our present playing style. I would have him back because I do believe that he has affection for our club but, like you, I would need to see that he has developed a far better understanding of defensive play/tactics.

12. taffthefish

taffthefish Well-Known Member

Just watched the programme on iplayer and I must admit it is a great piece of television and a good vehicle for the Swans.

13. Norway-jack

Norway-jack Well-Known Member

Would i have martinez back? No. Not because of what he did to us but because im not sure he could improve our play or attract the right players here.

I Think There is a lack of credit to the board with the martinez thing,they knew which way they needed to go to compete so both dove railed well together.

I was thankful of the job he did here he takes credit for that but dont forget flynn,jacket and sousa were just as important . He doesnt take all the credit for me and he almost got the club relegated when he took the support staff,scouts and key players.

People forget the mess he left us in as much as people forget the good work he did for us.

14. LIBERTARIAN

Here he is again,the bloob mod who insisits that hughs "self regulates" his posts.

15. It'sChicoTime

It'sChicoTime Well-Known Member

Vetch, lay off mate. We've had round one, let's not have a round two. He was complimentary.

As for john Hughes, taff has had words.

16. LIBERTARIAN

No problem Chico,I have already apologised to Valley on another thread.

17. Libertyswan

Libertyswan Well-Known Member

Enjoyed the programme, brought back memories good and bad, caught a glimpse of myself at that trust meeting at the Patti, remember Nick Cusack spoke so well and it was thanks to him that the players stuck together when Petty was trying to sell them all off...

As for Martinez he is history, he did a good job for us both on the field of play and as a manager but seems he was quite happy to walk away when a better offer came along despite him having talked of his desire to stay at the club until he was kicked out.

18. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

What a well made programme that made me very proud and the football started by Martinez was inspirational that got us to the promise land, It was neat it was slick the passing was short and accurate with every player knew where each player was at any given time, It even made scotland look good. since he left us he has not done much and that is due to the football and style we played then and we can say that about a number of players who have moved on....
    This is the football we should be playing and i really hope our manager saw the programme and released his type is not as productive as the last 3 managers and we get back to playing like was showed on the TV last night...
    Fans may not agree and i respect that but this second half of the season has shown us we have lost some of our flair and the passing is too long and due to the style players are having trouble knowing especially at the back where their team mates are.....It's not that bad all that has happened is a few to many small changes that is spoiling things and we need to step back and return to the type of football we all saw us play under our last 3 managers.....Laudrups way we are playing now has not worked and will not work in the premiership as we have found out these past 3 months.....great programme that highlighted what we are doing wrong now...

19. stevejack

stevejack Active Member

It was a great watch and yes credit to Bobby Martinez. If only he hadn't left under such a cloud he would be more highly regarded.
    With hindsight we needed all the managers we've had to add a little to make us the team we are today. If roberto hadn't left we wouldn't have been where we are now.
    A painful but perhaps necessary separation.

Not so sure about having Roberto back as boss one day but he should be welcomed to the city, after all he was a great manager for us and a terrific player when we were in a division full of dross.

Proud Jack (just like the rest of you I suppose!)

20. ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, cannot be done. BBC put an encryption on the broadcast and I don't have a super computer, it is a seriously beefy encryption. And to make things worse, BBC iPlayer website will not allow us to download it.