1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City 4 v 0 Watford

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

upload_2022-12-28_9-19-28.png Swansea City v Watford upload_2022-12-28_9-19-28.png

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Venue - Swansea.com Stadium
    Date - 30 December 2022
    Kick off - 7:45pm

Following yet another unimpressive performance at Reading where his team lost 1-2, next up for Russell Martin’s Swansea squad is a difficult looking home match against 4th placed Watford.

On Tuesday evening, Reading moved level on points with the play-off places as their third victory from four extended the Swans' winless run to eight Championship games.

Andy Carroll volleyed the Royals ahead in a first half in which they also missed a penalty as Yakou Meite blasted way over.

The Swans played themselves into trouble after the break, with goalkeeper Steven Benda's misplaced pass falling to Tom Ince, whose deflected shot doubled Reading's lead.

Substitute Liam Cullen scored on the rebound to raise hopes of yet another Swansea comeback but the visitors' late attempts to salvage a point were in vain.

Reading climb up to eighth in the table, level on points with fifth-placed Norwich City and short of the top six on goal difference alone.

Indeed, such is the chaotic congestion of the Championship that the Swans, who started the game one position higher than Reading, drop to 16th as they remain without a victory since October - the win over relegation threatened Cardiff…..

The previous evening, Andreas Voglsammer scored his first goal in English football to set Millwall on the road to a vital victory over Watford in their fight for a Championship play-off place.

The German striker's first-half opener was followed by Zian Flemming's 10th of the campaign after the Hornets were reduced to 10 men by Hassane Kamara's red card in the 38th minute.

That numerical disadvantage, and a woeful performance, inflicted only a second defeat in the past nine games on Slaven Bilic's Watford team, denting their own push for promotion to the Premier League.

Tom Bradshaw's good work created the opening for Voglsammer, a summer signing from Union Berlin, and in his 19th appearance for the south London club, he got on the scoresheet for the first time by rolling his shot into the corner.

Watford's task got even harder when Kamara, chasing a through-ball, barged into keeper George Long.

That brought a response from Danny McNamara, who appeared to say something and clip the heel of the Watford man as he ran back into position.

The Ivory Coast international, on loan from Udinese, reacted by thrusting both hands into the chest of the Millwall right-back, shoving him to the ground.

Millwall were the better team throughout, with Watford keeper Daniel Bachmann denying them more goals and Voglsammer hitting the bar with a chip.

The visitors made sure of the points seven minutes from time when Flemming fired a free-kick into the box and it evaded everyone to find the far corner.

That ensured Millwall secured a league double over the Hornets for the first time since 2002, and ended the four-match unbeaten run which had propelled Bilic's team into fourth place.

The Swans have played Watford on 52 previous occasions, winning 24, losing 18 and drawing 10.

In the corresponding fixture the season before last, the Swans ran out 2-1 winners thanks to a brace from Jamal Lowe:

https://www.watfordfc.com/video/mat...sea-city-2-1-watford-championship-202021#play

Turning to Friday evening, Watford will be keen to put their home defeat to Millwall behind them and return to winning ways, whereas the Swans will be desperate to to an end to the sequence of taking only 5 points from a possible 24.

Defeat would leave the Swans starting to look nervously over their shoulders at the relegation places, particularly with Championship leaders Burnley next up…..

I’m fearing the worst and expecting another defeat 1-3 to Watford.

Hope I’m wrong and we end the year in winning style …. but I’m not hopeful. <cheers>

2. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Unfortunately another loss 0-2 Watford.

3. swantastic

swantastic Well-Known Member

Bounce back 2-1 us
    Hope they've realised the fans are pissed off with them and have a go !

4. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff.
    1-1
    Keeps Doc Martin in his job for another week.
    Unfortunately.

5. Taffvalerowdy

upload_2022-12-28_15-8-40.png

DragonPhilljack and 55282 like this.
  6. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  7. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Thanks Taff, it's a nervy bounce back 1-0 win for me

8. Taffvalerowdy

I hope you’re correct <cheers>

DragonPhilljack and glamexile like this.
  9. Rhodthesod

Rhodthesod Well-Known Member

0-2 defeat, finally They may realise this is a wasted season and while we could of maintained a challenge, this is a relegation battle, hope they fight looks like they will give up.

First season I have not bought any merchandise for me or family.

10. Taffvalerowdy

John Busby is set to take charge when Swansea City host Watford at the Swansea.com Stadium on December 30. (7.45pm kick-off).

The Oxfordshire-based official took charge of a Swans match just two months ago when Russell Martin’s side suffered a narrow defeat to Preston North End at Deepdale with Brad Potts scoring the deciding goal. He handed out six yellow cards that day three apiece with Matt Grimes, Ben Cabango and Armstrong Oko-Flex booked for the Swans.

This will be just the fourth time he’s taken charge of a Swansea City match. The Swans are yet to win a match when Busby had been in charge with the two previous matches ending in defeat to Luton Town and a draw with Millwall.

So far this season, he has taken charge of 16 games and has handed out 63 yellow cards and three reds.

Busby will be assisted by Nigel Lugg and Mark Pottage on Friday while Gavin Ward will be the fourth official.

DragonPhilljack likes this.

11. Taffvalerowdy

12. Taffvalerowdy

“It’s our understanding that Swansea are open to Paterson’s exit in January and have, essentially, told the player he is free to leave the club at the start of 2023.”

DragonPhilljack and daimungeezer like this.
  13. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

I'm reading the other way he wants to go.

So would I with this manager in charge.

14. Taffvalerowdy

As it stands:

upload_2022-12-29_22-32-7.jpeg

15. neveroffsidereff

That table tells me, how poor the Championship is considering our current form. Burnley & Sheffield Utd, must be pissing themselves at the standard.

16. Taffvalerowdy

If only the Yanks had held their nerve the year we were relegated, and kept hold of most of the squad until Christmas …. We’d have ‘pissed’ the c Championship that season ….

DragonPhilljack and daimungeezer like this.
  17. neveroffsidereff

Absolutely, I feel with a few adds this team could go up. The squad is very good, but probably not under Martin.

18. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

More despair I fear.
    Honestly, since Martin took over I don't really see that he's brought any improvement - it's been a couple of seasons now and we're still playing the same way and still making the same mistakes over and over again. Any optimism has long gone for me.
    Even if we manage a win, it won't last and we'll be back to the same old issues next week.

19. Taffvalerowdy

He’s had around 70 games in charge …

20. Taffvalerowdy

Former Wales striker Iwan Roberts says "not one bit of him" thinks Russell Martin should land the Norwich City job.

Martin's name has been floated about since Dean Smith's sacking at Carrow Road, although he has drifted in the bookmakers' odds in recent days.

Roberts, who played at Norwich, believes Martin shouldn't be under consideration, citing his Swansea side as being "so predictable".

“I look at what Russell has done in the game so far as a head coach and not one bit of me thinks he should get this job,” he said. “I look at MK Dons – when he left they’d finished 13th in League One. Last year they finished third under Liam Manning. There was a massive improvement after he left.

“I look at Swansea – they finished 15th last season and they are 16th now after the defeat at Reading on Tuesday. Don’t get me wrong, there have been times when it has been a joy to watch, but there have been times I am pulling my hair out because it is so predictable.

“There isn’t enough to impress me.”

https://m.skybet.com/football/manager-specials/event/30776041