1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Swansea City 3 v 0 QPR

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Taffvalerowdy, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Taffvalerowdy

Taffvalerowdy Well-Known Member

Swansea v Queens Park Rangers

Competition - Sky Bet Championship
    Date - 29 September 2018
    Kick Off - 3pm
    Venue - Liberty Stadium

Following their battling away performance at the Riverside where they earned a valuable point against promotion favourites, Middlesbrough, next up for Graham Potter’s Swansea team is the visit of QPR.

Injury-hit Swans were still looking threadbare in the middle of the park with captain Leroy Fer (groin) and Bersant Celina (ankle) sidelined and would have been the happier to come away from the Riverside Stadium with a share of the spoils after their midweek loss at Stoke City. On the down side, however, it was the third consecutive match in which the Swans have failed to find the net.

Oli McBurnie and Martin Olsson went closest for the visitors, while a Tom Carroll cross hit the woodwork.

Boro's best chances fell to Daniel Ayala and Stewart Downing.

The same day that the Swans drew with Boro, QPR lost at home to a Norwich City team that recorded a third successive Championship win, with Teemu Pukki's second-half goal enough to beat Steve McLaren’s QPR at Loftus Road.

The Finland international chested in Marco Stiepermann's cross from the left wing on 71 minutes to net his fifth goal in as many games for club and country.

Rangers came close to an equaliser when Luke Freeman's powerful effort from distance was tipped over by Canaries keeper Tim Krul, while Eberechi Eze fired wide from outside the box.

The west Londoners had taken 10 points from four games heading into the match but Steve McClaren's side suffered their fifth defeat of the league campaign despite putting the visitors under late pressure.

After these results, the Swans have 13pts and sit in 14th position in the Championship, with QPR 2 places lower in 16th position, with 10pts.

The 2 teams first met in an FA Cup match in January 1914 when QPR ran out 2-1 winners. In total, the teams have met on 45 occasions, with the Swans winning 13, QPR 19 and 13 draws.

Certainly, from a Swans’ perspective, the season opener in August 2012 at Loftus Road was the most memorable match between the 2 sides. It was Michael Laudrup’s first competitive match in charge of the Swans and his new charges ran out 5-0 winners, with a brace each from Michu and Nathan Dyer, and Scott Sinclair scoring the 5th which turned out to be his last in a Swansea shirt before his move to Man City.

Looking ahead to next Saturday, I’m hoping that the Swans can rediscover their goal scoring boots - if they can, then I expect them to win 2–1.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    mustyfrog, daimungeezer and PGFWhite like this.
  2. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

QPR have been all over the shop this season but have improved in recent weeks and are now only three points behind us in the League. Norwich halted their recent upturn in form with a 1-0 victory at Loftus Road in a match where QPR only had 37% possession but still had quite a few chances. That seems the hallmark of the Championship where teams with little possession still compete well because they are more direct.

QPR have a midweek match against Blackpool in the Carabao Cup so it'll be interesting to see how many of the first team play in that game.

I'm going for a 1-0 Swans win, hopefully Leroy Fer scoring the winner against his old club provided he's fit.

3. aswan_dam

aswan_dam Well-Known Member

0-0. No other scoreline is possible.

4. glamexile

glamexile Well-Known Member

Feeling optimistic about this one so 2-0

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  5. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

Swans win!! Rangel own goal. ;)

PGFWhite and Taffvalerowdy like this.
  6. PGFWhite

I wouldn't wish that on him!

7. neveroffsidereff

neveroffsidereff Well-Known Member

But he will celebrate scoring for us!! :)

PGFWhite likes this.
  8. PGFWhite

…....especially as it was a curler from 20 yards <laugh>

neveroffsidereff likes this.
  9. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Swans 0 - ? QPR

10. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

Just looked back at my post from the Sheff Utd match..... Question is still valid :

11. daimungeezer

daimungeezer Well-Known Member

Don't know why but I have a feeling we'll win this one... and that involves scoring! 1 - 0.

p.s. I must delude myself to stay sane :grin:

Taffvalerowdy, PGFWhite and aswan_dam like this.
  12. PGFWhite

Last season Bolton survived with 43 points, Barnsley were relegated with 41. If we drew every game we would have 50 points so that should see us safe, but that's not going to happen because we're going to win loads more <laugh>

13. PGFWhite

Courtney Baker-Richardson should be back for this one to give Oli a bit of assistance up front <ok>

Taffvalerowdy likes this.
  14. swanseaandproud

swanseaandproud Well-Known Member

Home game that we must win, The last few games were much harder and apart from a goal by us we played very well and only an obvious offside goal spoilt our day and again with the Boro game i thought we were the better team overall.....We are desperate for a loan striker from somewhere as that is the only position we are lacking in great depth.....I think we have too much for QPR but when the finishing is as bad as it's been it is a good leveler so you cant say with any absolute certainty that we will get the 3 points but i hope we do...

15. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

I am going for a squeaky 1-0 win, don't care how we score as long as we do.

16. trundles left foot

trundles left foot Well-Known Member

maybe we should try this on the weekend,

17. swanseaandproud

18. 55282

55282 Well-Known Member

19. Mono

Mono Well-Known Member

20. swanseaandproud

I Thought at the time that he could have played at the very least another season. We use to E-Mail one another from time to time and have met him a few times. You could not wish for a more passionate guy for the Swans.....It will not surprise me one bit if he were to manage the Swans one day in the future....Bring him home i say.....Sad...