1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Superbowl 2015

Discussion in 'American Football' started by rainermariarilke, Aug 28, 2014.

1. rainermariarilke

rainermariarilke Well-Known Member

It's that time of year again, and my pin is hovering over the Packers at around 12-1. Anyone feel like either encouraging or discouraging me ? They look (to me) to have addressed a couple of weaknesses, and the schedule looks a bit less daunting than last year.

2. pompeymeowth

pompeymeowth Prepare for trouble x
    Staff Member

They look a good shout, the 1st game should tell us plenty.

3. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

I'll just make a top 4, cause it's always a gamble at the start of the season:

1. Packers
    2. Broncos
    3. Colts
    4. Pats, 49'ers, Saints, Bucs, Bengals, and any other above par team last year really.

let's face it, a consecutive win for the Seahawks won't happen, just like in Baseball, the team who wins it will suck the year after(Red Sox, Giants, Yankees or Saints, Packers, Giants, Ravens), or will likely go out first round in the post season.

4. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

Packers are a great shout.

Think the Cardinals, Falcons and Eagles will also have a great year.

5. Cove

Cove Well-Known Member

Can't see it happening for the Falcons, big mystery if Eagles can do without DeSean Jackson but they're in the NFC Least division so... And Cardinals is a coin toss, great couple of players but in a division with the 49'ers ad Seahawks, can see them being left out of the playoffs with a good record. If the Seahawks completely suck this year only then I can see them getting a chance for the post season.

6. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Go for the Vikings, you'll get good odds and you'll make lots of money when we win the Super Bowl and Cassel is the MVP

7. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

I am biased as a Packers fan, but its hard not to look at the team and put it in the playoff/superbowl picture. Rodgers is easily a top 3 QB. He has finally got a legitimate set of backs, headed by Eddie Lacy, who can run the ball effectively. Nelson and Cobb are finally both fit which gives him two top notch recievers. The biggest issue was the defense, but the D line has been strengthened by the addition of Peppers who should balance the line and take some of the pressure off of Matthews to get the sacks. If the secondary stays healthy and Capers/Whitt Jr can play them in their strongest positions then there is no reason, with the addition of Clinton-Dix they can up the turnover rate.

8. rainermariarilke

Very helpful, boys, and thank you. The money's down (for anyone else thinking of a bet, don't forget the Packers' game is Thursday/Friday night and, if they beat Seattle, the 12-1 won't be there on Friday morning).

BHDan: the Peppers/Matthews combo did considerably influence me, and I'm greatly cheered that you agree. Speak again in January, probably. Enjoy the season.

9. Gasheadseamge79

Gasheadseamge79 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Haven't really kept up to date with it recently so can't really say I will wait for at least 4 or 5 games in I know one thing it won't be my team (bears)

10. Big Chief

Big Chief Active Member

I know it's only the first game in but told you so. Cards and Falcons had tough games as well :)

11. babyhornetdan

babyhornetdan Well-Known Member

So far it looks like the Packers are living up to expectations and even BC's prediction of the Cards could come true.

12. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

To update my earlier prediction: Vikings to still win the super bowl but Teddy Bridgewater to be MVP

13. rainermariarilke

OK, seen enough, time to take the modest profit and cash out (in around 12-1, out at an average of 7-1, and they were shorter than that in about week 12). Don't think GB can possibly win in Seattle - even if Rodgers makes a miraculous recovery - and imo Detroit let them off the hook yesterday.

Barring major injuries or some collective loss of nerve/judgment, Seattle at around 5-4 to win the Bowl look a sensible bet.

14. Mad ads666

Mad ads666 Well-Known Member

As a niner fan I hope the pack roll over the hawks. Although I'm probably living in cuckoo land. However I'd love to see the colts win the Super Bowl ,which again means them doing a number on the patriots which will be no mean feat. So my ideal SB. Colts/Packers.

15. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

I'll be supporting my Packers, but it's a big ask for them to win in Seattle
    I think the other game will be close

babyhornetdan likes this.
  16. rainermariarilke

Detroit ? I meant Dallas......whatever, Seahawks to win a low-scoring (under 45 point) game. Good luck to anyone whose heart or wallet is heavily involved tonight.

17. smhbcfc

smhbcfc Well-Known Member

The Packers snatched defeat from the jaws of victory - gutted but an absorbing game

18. rainermariarilke

Yes, quite extraordinary. Agreed, the GB defence started very well, but for the first 20 minutes or so I really began to wonder if the Hawks had sold the game like the White Sox in the 1919 World Series - has any seeded team at this stage ever made so many unforced mistakes ?

Then the disease changed trains and suddenly GB were performing like muppets - the missed tackles, the 2-point conversion, the DC-call on the 3rd-and-19 and - most of all - the dropped onside kick (which Harry Redknapp's wife Sandra would have caught). I know it was a bit breezy, but the temperatures weren't nearly as low as I'd expected - you simply don't expect millionaire-contract players to make this kind of mistake on this sort of occasion.

As it happens, I came out in front on a couple of linked bets, but it must have used up my luck up for the next ten years !

Mad ads666 likes this.
  19. rainermariarilke

Can't post at the weekend, so I'll go on the record now. These 'too-close-to-call' games where the betting's about level and the handicaps are a single point or so, very often turn out to be won fairly easily. I was expecting the Championship games to confirm my then mild inclination towards the Hawks (i.e. they'd win fairly comfortably and the Pats would struggle), which turned out diametrically wrong.

Hard to forget how many basic mistakes the Hawks made - and were allowed to get away with - so it's the Pats. And, although I suspect that age and years of battering have taken a yard off his speed, my respect for Gronkowski is so great that he's my idea of the key figure in the game. So:

Pats by 10 or more
    Total points 48 or more
    Gronk to score two or more TDs
    Gronk for MVP

Mad ads666 likes this.