1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Sunderland vs Arsenal: Match Thread

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Sanj, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Arsenal and Sunderland meet once again but this time it's in the FA cup. Arsenal beat Sunderland at the Stadium of Light just last week in the league thanks to a late goal from Thierry Henry. It was a very tight game that had few chances, James McClean gave Sunderland the lead before Aaron Ramsey leveled the score. Sunderland sat back against Arsenal and allowed them no space to work with. They gave Walcott and Alex Oxlade Chamberlain no space and tried to frustrate the Gunners. Since then, Arsenal have traveled to Italy to take on AC Milan in the Champions League. The Gunners got trashed in the San Siro and are all but out of the Champions League. Arsene Wenger called the performance shocking and also claimed it was their worst ever night in Europe. So getting over that mental scaring will be a problem for Arsenal ahead of the FA Cup clash with Sunderland. Both sides have met in this competition six times over the years. Arsenal have won three of those encounters with Sunderland winning two and the other being a draw. They last met in the Fa cup back in 1997, Arsenal came out on top with a 2-0 win. Sunderland last won the cup back in 1973, they upset Leeds United with a 1-0 win. To this day, Jimmy Montgomery's amazing double save is remembered and it went down as one of the greatest saves ever seen at Wembley. Only Manchester United have won the FA cup more times then the Arsenal. They last won the trophy back in 2005 and they have not won another trophy since. After the horror show in Milan, this competition is the last chance to end that barren spell without a trophy this season.

Steve Bruce became the first man to get sacked in the 2011-12 season and he was in charge of Sunderland 98 times, he won 29 matches, drew 28 and lost 41. He got Sunderland into the top half of the table last season but was not matching that standard in the first half of this season. Having lost forwards such as Darren Bent, Danny Welbeck and Asamoah Gyan for different reasons, it was always going to be a difficult ask for Bruce. Getting beat by Wigan was the low and breaking point chairman Ellis Short and he decided enough was enough and it was time for a change. Martin O'Neill, a boyhood Sunderland fan seemed like the perfect fit and Ellis short felt he was the man needed to change the plight of Sunderland. O'Neill's last job also started really well and he took Villa into Europe and pushed Arsenal for fourth spot in the 08-09 season. But his time at Villa came to an end after he felt like Villa did not match his ambitions.

After arriving at Sunderland, Martin O'Neill gave younger winger, James McClean his chance in the first team. And the youngster has not looked back since. A fast and powerful winger who plays on the left and can beat his man with ease before crossing and finding his target. McClean has shown the ability to chip in with goals. With Bacary Sagna back in the Arsenal side its going to be an interesting battle between an experienced international defender and a raw but supremely talented youngster. Stéphane Sessègnon has been Sunderland's star man this season and he has gone onto another level since the arrival of O'Neill. Sessegnon has always been a highly rated player but he did not catch the attention of many in the early part of his career at Sunderland. But now he has become a fast and highly technical winger who has an end product but can also play upfront. His pace will be a worry to the Arsenal defence and his left foot is capable of scoring stunning goals. In defence, Sunderland have a few experienced players like John O’Shea and Wes Brown. Sunderland’s defence has been pretty solid all season, they have only conceded 26 goals home and away. Arsenal on the other hand have let in 26 goals away from home alone. Arsenal have found trips to the Stadium of Light difficult in recent times, the last time they managed to get the three points at the SOL was just last week. And that was their first win in four years at the SOL.

After the sorry night in Milan, Arsene Wenger knows that if his players do not recover then his team will find themselves out of another cup competition. AC Milan gave Arsenal a footballing lesson on Wednesday night and came out as winners in a 4-0 trashing. It was Thierry Henry's last game and he has returned to New York Red Bulls. He will be missed because it was his goal that put Arsenal through to the fourth round of this competition. Laurent Koscielny picked up a knee injury at the San Siro and is therefore a doubt for the trip to Sunderland. Gervinho has returned from the African Cup of Nations in time to be available for this game. Players such as Lukasz Fabiański, Francis Coquelin and Andery Arshavin will get their chance to impress with Wenger needing to rotate some of his players after their poor showing in Italy. Alex Oxlade Chamberlain did not to the surprise of many start against AC Milan so he will be line for another start against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light. After the defeat in San Siro, Arsenal can't afford to suffer another one at the Stadium of Light. Going out of two cup competitions in the space of a week is a disaster for the club and the whole season will collapse. Arsenal have a real fight on their hands in the league in order to get a top four place and still have the chance to give their fans a cup run in the FA cup. With Manchester United and Manchester City already out, it gives them a shot at the trophy they last won back in 2005. Not going out of the FA Cup is vital if the Gunners are to prevent yet another collapse in their season.

Teams News:

Arsene Wenger:

League Form:

Three Key Match-ups:

Overall Record vs: Sunderland

Played: 139
    Wins: 54
    Draws: 38
    Losses: 47
    For: 223
    Against: 194
    GD: 29

Last 6 Meetings:

Sunderland 1 - 2 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2 - 1 Sunderland
    Arsenal 0 - 0 Sunderland
    Sunderland 1 - 1 Arsenal
    Arsenal 2 - 0 Sunderland
    Sunderland 1 - 0 Arsenal

Mangers Views:

Arsene Wenger:

My Team:

Final Score:

2. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Come on Arsenal.

3. The Bonstar Wandit

The Bonstar Wandit Well-Known Member

Interesting Team Jack!

I'd expect Oxo & Gervinho to start on the wings. I realise there's rotation needed - though the back 4 picks itself if Kos is out.
    I'd agree with no Ramsey, but will Coquelin be picked for such an important match over Rosicky? And will Arshavin be given the creative role?

I can see the MF3 being Song Arteta Rosicky, with the possibility of Coquelin replacing Rosicky and Arteta being given license to create.

4. RANDY

RANDY Wurzel Gummidge

Definitely go with that front three <ok> And I don't see how Ramsey can keep his place in the team at the moment. I'd probably pick Rosicky ahead of Arshavin (he was the one player who actually looked bothered in Milan) and I'd have Arteta instead of Coquelin.

Big game for us, we need to erase the trauma of Milan on Saturday

5. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

After Milan, I did not want to start any of Arteta or Ramsey. These two had poor games. Coquelin was outstanding against Manchester City in the League cup. He has the energy and skill needed. I think he has been a great find this season. As for Arshavin, what the heck. Lets just unleash him in the middle and if it comes of then he will score or assist. Song and Coquelin between them should be able to protect the back four. Arshavin hass way more creativity then Rosicky or Ramsey. But Wenger will probably stick Arshavin on the bench.

6. robin_van_ fiberglass

robin_van_ fiberglass Active Member

Interesting team, will we be able to keep control of the ball without arteta though?

7. TheOXOCube:5pur2

TheOXOCube:5pur2 Pride of North London

Get rid of Djorou put on Miguel

8. Bergkamp a Dutch master

have to agree with you Piskie.

Come on Arsenal. !!!!

9. connor wigham

connor wigham Active Member

mate fancy linking this to the sunderland board aswell because its really good <ok>

also do you know how many fans are you expecting to bring with you for the game??

10. RANDY

RANDY Wurzel Gummidge

Jack can you link this one and keep it as a sticky?

I think we've sold out our entire allocation - partly due to Sunderland only charging £20 ticket and Arsenal putting on £5 coach travel. <ok>

11. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

Already done. <ok>

12. Drudeboy

Drudeboy Well-Known Member

what my heart says:
    the team will bounce back and be full of verve on the night. they will pass the ball quickly and effectively, pulling sunderland apart and getting a few goals. they will press hard in defence and get a clean sheet.

what my head says:
    they will be exactly the same, except worse. midfield won't track runners (why we lost to milan), defence won't deal with high balls, and we will have no creativity in the final third.

13. Arsenal87

Arsenal87 Well-Known Member

Fabianski

Gibbs
    TV
    Djoure
    Sagna

Song
    Arteta
    Arshavin

OXO
    Gervinho
    RVP

14. goonercymraeg

goonercymraeg Amnesia
    Forum Moderator

When do you get back from Milan ?

15. Samurai

Samurai Active Member

Feel sorry for him, he's been on here a lot, must have cost himself a fortune!

16. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I'd have to agree with Jack's team, putting Arshavin in his natural role could be very good for us. I'd make one change though. I would start Nico Yennaris at RB. Sagna still looks rusty, Yennaris is pacy and direct, quick enough to cope with McClean. If Nico struggles, put Sagna on instead.

Game wise, i can see a win on the cards. We don't normally have 2 dreadful performances in a row, we will be better on saturday (we couldn't be any worse).

Prediction;

Sunderland 1 (Gardner) - Arsenal 2 (Gervinho, Arshavin)

17. jadotbizzgooner

That's what I want to see Arshavin in the middle it's about ****ing time we see him there all his career his played their in Russia and for Russia but what does Wenger do put him on the ****ing wing.

Ok we had Nas and Fab but they gone and he still don't play him there what the **** the man a big man 27 or 28 when he came here like they say you can't teach a old dog new tricks.

18. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

Every time i see Arshavin in the middle for Russia, he looks a real quality player, something we need. I can't believe Wenger has only played him there once this season.

19. Sanj

Sanj Well-Known Member

It was against Bolton in the CC. We played a 4-4-1-1 sort of system. Arshavin scored and assisted for Park

20. Kyle?

Kyle? New Member

I remember, he did play well (by his standards anyway) in that game. Why did wenger shunt him back out to the wing, and play the struggling Ramsey instead?