1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Tottenham Hotspur (17th Jan)

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by THFC6061, Jan 15, 2015.

1. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

please log in to view this image

Tottenham Hotspur host Sunderland at White Hart Lane on Saturday 17th January 2015 (KO 15:00) in the 22nd Round of 2014-15 Premier League matches.

This will be the 119th time the two clubs have met. Spurs come into the game in 6th place in the table on 34 points with Sunderland 16th on 20 points.

The first meeting came at Northumberland Park in March 1898 when Spurs were playing in the Southern League in a friendly which Sunderland won 2-0.

A second meeting followed within the year when Spurs beat Sunderland 2-1 in the old second round (today's fourth round) of the FA Cup in February 1899.

Tottenham's first visit to Sunderland came during a mini tour of the North-East to celebrate the turn of the new Century with Spurs winning the friendly match 3-1 on 2nd January 1900.

The first Football League meetings between the two clubs saw Sunderland win at home 3-1 in September 1909 and Spurs having a comprehensive win in the return fixture at White Hart Lane 5-1.
    Tottenham Hotspur's all-time record attendance of 75,038 at White Hart Lane came in an FA Cup 6th round match against Sunderland in March 1938. Sunderland won the game 1-0. This was the only FA Cup match Sunderland have won out of the 7 played so far with Spurs winning five and one game drawn.

The only two League matches ever played outside the Top Flight came during 1977-78 when Spurs won at Roker Park 2-1 but lost the return Division Two match at the Lane 3-2. The clubs first met in the Football League Cup in November 1984 with Spurs drawing 0-0 away but Sunderland winning the replay at the Lane 2-1. The three matches in the competition have resulted in a win each and one game drawn.

Since Sunderland joined the Premier League in season 1996-97, no further domestic cup ties have been played between the two clubs.Spurs have a good record during the Premier League Era with 15 wins to Sunderland's 5 and the remaining 4 games drawn. Spurs have taken an average of 2.04 points off Sunderland in the 24 matches played so far.

The 2010-11 fixture at White Hart Lane ended in a 1-1 draw with Rafael van der Vaart putting Spurs ahead in the second half only for Sunderland's Asamoah Gyan to equalise three minutes later. The match at Sunderland resulted in a 2-1 win for Spurs with Asamoah Gyan putting the Black Cats ahead after 11 minutes before Michael Dawson's equaliser just before half-time. Niko Kranjcar scored the winner for Spurs in the 57th minute.

The 2011-12 match at White Hart Lane in December resulted in a 1-0 win for Spurs with substitute striker Roman Pavlyuchenko scoring the winner with just over an hour of the match played. The three points won put Spurs in third place in the table for the first time during 2011-12. The match at Sunderland in April 2012 was a goalless draw which produced very few chances for either team.
    In August 2012, Tottenham's full-back Danny Rose went to Sunderland for a season's loan. The match at the Stadium of Light in December 2012 was won by Tottenham 2-1. John O'Shea opened the scoring for the Black Cats five minutes before half-time. Carlos Cuellar headed an own goal three minutes into the second half to even the game and Aaron Lennon scored the winner three minutes later for Spurs. A 90th minute Gareth Bale goal secured all three points for Spurs at home to Sunderland on the final day of the 2012-13 season.

Hong Kong provided the setting for the 2013 Premier League Asia Trophy in July and Sunderland beat Spurs 3-1 in the Semi-Final. Gylfi Sigurdsson put Spurs ahead after 28 minutes but Cabral equalised five minutes later. Second half goals from Wes Brown and David Karlsson ensured that Sunderland progressed to the Final, where they lost 1-0 to Manchester City.

Adam Johnson opened the scoring for Sunderland after 37 minutes in their home Premier League game in December 2013. Paulinho levelled things just before half-time and John O'Shea scored an own goal five minutes into the second half to give Spurs all three points. Tottenham completed the double over Sunderland with an emphatic 5-1 win at the Lane in April 2014. A defensive error led to Lee Cattermole putting the visitors ahead after 17 minutes but an Emmanuel Adebayor goal after 28 minutes saw the sides level at half-time. Further goals from Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen, Adebayor and Gylfi Sigurdsson ensured all three points would remain at the Lane.

The Premier League game at Sunderland in September 2014 got off to a flying start with Nacer Chadli scoring after 2 minutes and Adam Johnson equalising in the 4th minute. Christian Erisen put Spurs ahead again in the 48th minute but an own goal from Harry Kane meant that honours were even.

Overall, Spurs have the upper hand over Sunderland with 49 wins to 39 and 30 of the 118 matches played so far drawn.

Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Match Records 1898-2015

They Played for Spurs & Sunderland...

Ben Alnwick
    Darren Bent

Ted Birnie (Spurs player, Sunderland trainer & coach)
    Ivor Broadis
    Fraizer Campbell

Graham Carr (scout with both clubs)
    Jim Chalmers
    Pascal Chimbonda
    Ernie Coquet

John Curtis
    Calum Davenport
    Jimmy Delvin
    Márton Fülöp
    Phil Gray

Jim Hartley
    Alan Hutton
    Joe Knowles
    Steed Malbranque
    Fred Mearns
    Bobby Mimms
    Bill Murray
    George Payne
    Gus Poyet (Spurs player & coach, Sunderland manager)
    Andy Reid
    Danny Rose
    Louis Saha
    Jimmy Seed
    Paul Stewart
    Teemu Tainio
    Chris Waddle

Jack Whitbourne

Tottenham Hotspur Premier League Squad Numbers 1992-2015

Sunderland Premier League Player's Squad Numbers 1996-2015

Nacho, Brian Storm and C19RK73 like this.
  2. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

If we don't adopt a more attacking approach and sit deep in two lines of four this is going to be ugly.

3. C19RK73

C19RK73 Red & White army!

Agreed, still getting over last season at whl, the stuff of nightmares

4. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Should be a decent game and if Defoe is signed in time he's a cert to notch.

5. grandpops

grandpops Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see the bookies odds on that. Might squander a shilling or two.

6. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

7. C19RK73

Black Cats boosted by sell-out support.

Sunderland will be backed by a sell-out away support for the tenth time this season when they face Tottenham Hotspur in the Barclays Premier League this weekend.

The Black Cats take on Spurs on Saturday 17th January, 3pm kick-off, at White Hart Lane and match tickets had been subsidised by SAFC, giving fans a cheaper away day to start 2015.

Gus Poyet’s side have received stunning support away from home this year, with fans making over 28,500 journeys to support their team, while selling out ten of eleven away fixtures, the only exception being the 3-1 win over Crystal Palace on a Monday evening, still attended by over 2,200 SAFC supporters.

Home_and_Away and grandpops like this.
  8. grandpops

Considering where we are in the league and the way we`ve been playing, amazing.

9. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

@THFC6061 Nice thread as always fella. No hurry with our match thread now. <ok>

10. Brian Storm

<applause>

11. C19RK73

Reveillere relishing return
    French defender eyes return to action.

Anthony Reveillere is relishing the challenge of earning a place in Sunderland’s starting XI.

The former France international joined the club in the latter stages of 2014 and he made an immediate impact, providing an experienced resource on both sides in the absence of Patrick van Aanholt and Billy Jones.

Reveillere was also inline to start in December’s Tyne-Wear derby but he suffered an injury during the warm up that ruled him out of the festive period, but after returning to training the 35-year-old is hungry to prove himself once more.

“It is very important to have competition within the team and numbers are also important because we have a lot of games in the league and in the FA Cup.

“We need everyone in the squad to be fit and involved if we want to reach our objectives for the season, so I’m very happy to see my team-mates coming back and I look forward to playing alongside them once more.”

He continued: “I’m also very happy to have overcome my injury and I’m pleased to be back because I’ve missed taking part in the training sessions and missed being out there with a ball.

“I missed a lot of games over a busy period starting with the game against Newcastle United which was very disappointing, but being out injured is part of football and as soon as I suffered the injury my first thought was to come back even stronger.”

The Frenchman also cast his eye over Saturday’s meeting with Tottenham Hotspur, as he returns to White Hart Lane for the first time since a UEFA Europa League clash in 2013 with Lyon.

“I’m really looking forward to the game and we’re going there to get a result because we have a lot of ambition, but we know that Tottenham will be extremely motivated to return to winning ways in the league after last weekend’s defeat to Crystal Palace.

“That result demonstrated that anyone can beat anyone in this league, and although we know it will be a difficult game we will travel to London with a lot of belief.”

He added: “I know the stadiums in England well having played a lot of games during my time with Lyon in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League, and now I’m playing for Sunderland I’m very fortunate to play in these excellent arenas week in week out.”

Brian Storm likes this.
  12. THFC6061

THFC6061 Well-Known Member

Thanks - very much appreciated!

If Defoe signs for Sunderland and is eligible to play, I'd bet my house on him scoring against us!

But I think Spurs, despite our somewhat erratic form, will still manage to come away with all three points.

13. Brian Storm

I'm hoping the boost factor will help us nick a point. We've been dreadful at home but pretty solid away, joint forth on away form. Very tough game. Show your erratic form and if we can remain solid, Defoe could even be the difference to nick all three but that would rely on a lot of factors going our way. Tough to predict with so many factor. I'm sticking my neck out for a draw.

Obviously I've seen Defoe play as much as any football fan but not given him the focus a spurs fan has. Is he vocal? Can he be a dominant influence? He's going to be accustomed to a much higher standard and was wondering if he can help inspire a higher standard himself?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
    grandpops likes this.
  14. grandpops

Good questions.

We`ve been decent in defence & we might make it hard for them but we`ve had nothing at the sharp end to hurt other teams.

Brian Storm likes this.
  15. password invalid

password invalid Well-Known Member

was told today he has scored on his every debut true or false ?

16. grandpops

I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

17. Brian Storm

True fella.

18. DAPARKERSAFC

DAPARKERSAFC Well-Known Member

Wont happen but id try wing backs

----------Pantilimon---------
    ---Vergini--Oshea--Brown---
    Jones------Catts--------PVA-
    ------Johnson--Larsson-----
    --------Defoe-Wickham------

19. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I believe T. A. F. had a similar record.

20. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Well-Known Member

Spurs had a hard game with Burnley on Weds night so reckon we can keep it ugly for 80 mins then score the winner.