1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Southend United - Saturday 2nd November - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 31, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Nov 2, 2019.
  1. Home win

85.2%
  2. Away win

3.3%
  3. Draw

11.5%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland v Southend United – Skybet League one
    SAFCvSUFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland lost on penalties at Oxford and Southend lost to Ipswich.
    Sunderland return to League One action with a home game against Sol Campbell’s Southend United. The Black Cat’s will be hoping that they can reproduce a similar performance that saw them beat Tranmere 5-0 last time out at the Stadium of Light.
    Having watched Blues’ 7-1 defeat to Doncaster Rovers, Sol Campbell knew that he had a big job on his hands taking over at Southend, who went into last weekend’s game eight points from safety, a poor run of form that has seen them lose 5 of their last 6 games.
    Phil Parkinson:
    “We know he (Will Grigg) is a terrific player and he has all the attributes, and he will start showing it.”
    “The worst-case scenario should be that you make the keeper work. He’s not the first one to miss a penalty, but we are frustrated that he didn’t make the keeper work at the very least.”
    “I’m moaning at the officials - and rightly so - but the game should have been done and dusted just with the other opportunities we had.”
    “We have to show more conviction in and around the opposition box. Even in the first half we made some terrific chances. Max had a terrific chance, McNulty hit the post, and we got in some fantastic positions.”
    “The last two games we have dominated and we have to keep on believing in ourselves.”
    “Some of the football we have played at Shrewsbury on Saturday and then tonight has been excellent, but we need to turn that dominance into goals.”
    "Joel is fine. He had a bang on his knee but today he has trained. Gooch is not out on the grass and Wyke will hopefully start running next week. Burge still has an issue with his thigh. Duncan has a virus so we will have to assess him."
    Sol Campbell:
    "We need points, but the main thing for me is the performances. There were some really good performances out there considering the last game against Doncaster.”
    “I believe in the guys. I’ve got great belief in them and I know they can get out of this. I know that they can get fitter and once they get fitter, we’ll see the true level.”
    “Then when they’re playing in difficult games, they can compete and go toe-to-toe not just for 60-70 minutes but for 90 minutes, and that’s the key for me. Go toe-to-toe and push the opposition all the way and I think that hasn’t happened for a long time.”
    Form.GIF
    Prutton predicts:
    Meh
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    TREVOR KETTLE
    Assistants: Stephen Wade and Ian Dudley
    Fourth Official: Garreth Rhodes

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    J.McLaughlin, O’Nien, Willis, Lynch, Hume, Power, Dobson, McGeady, Maguire, Watmore, Grigg
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Patterson, C.McLaughlin, Flannagan, McGeouch, Leadbitter, McNulty, Kimpioka
    Injured: Embleton, Wyke, Gooch, Burge, De Bock, Ozturk

Southend United: Oxley, Bwomono, Ralph, Milligan, Humphrys, Dieng, Hopper, Cox, Kiernan, Shaughnessy, Hutchinson.
    Subs: Bishop, Hyam, Goodship, Taylor, Demetriou, Rush, Acquah
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Home
    1/3 Away 15/2 Draw 19/5

My two pence:
    After some good performances without getting the results we really need to beat Southend and beat them well. Hopefully we don’t have any new injuries and that Watmore is back.
    Southend have been poor so far and I can’t see them turning things around.
    My guess is a 4-0 home win

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  2. BigPete

BigPete Well-Known Member

Tickets booked for me and youngin hopefully weather be canny as he wanted to be pitch side so will be wrapped up just in case!

HWTL and hopefully no racist accusations after the match from Mr "People Hate Me As I'm Black" Campbell

3. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Time to get back to winning ways.

BigPete and Gil T Azell like this.
  4. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

We are going to smash them

5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Let's hope so, with today's financial news there should be a party atmosphere and we need to make sure Southend don't end up being party poopers.

6. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

I want a record back after the Leicester result. 10-1 to the cuddly toys.

7. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

As always I fear the worst. I'm just hoping that the worst is a draw.

RTB likes this.
  8. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

Can’t see past a comfortable high scoring game, I’ll say 4-0

9. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it. The team seem to be playing without shackles on.

10. dred

dred Well-Known Member

Why not look on the worst side then any thing better is a bonus.

11. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

hope things don't boil over with that referee

Nathan Brazil, Nacho and Gil T Azell like this.
  12. Gil T Azell

Gil T Azell Well-Known Member

Admins, 3 day ban please ^^^^^^^^:cheesy:

RTB, Nacho and O'conner flood like this.
  13. Jsdftm04

Jsdftm04 Member

Should be a hammering really.

We havent played too badly in the last 2

Gil T Azell, RTB and dred like this.
  14. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

5-0 Grigg gets 2. although put a bet on for 4-1 and Watmore to score at anytime.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    dred likes this.
  15. dred

dred Well-Known Member

I would love to think so mate, especially the Griggs bit.

16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

It's felt recently like results have been teetering on a knife edge albeit with the 5-0 thrashing of Tranmere in the background to highlight that things have changed. Now that the investment is secured I expect a more relaxed atmosphere, in a good way, and more of those 50/50s to turn into wins for us.

Parkinson's doing the right thing talking Grigg up it's what he needs. He'll be the most desperate person in the stadium for him to score he just needs some confidence.

dred, RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  17. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

From listening to their fan on the RR preview podcast, they sound absolutely awful. Averaging about 3 goals conceded per game and he was already hoping for another points deduction for Bolton to help them out.

I'll go for another comfortable 5-0 home win. Maguire, Grigg 2, Mcgeady and Dobson.

18. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

From listening to their fan on the RR preview podcast, they sound absolutely awful. Averaging about 3 goals conceded per game and he was already hoping for another points deduction for Bolton to help them out.

I'll go for another comfortable 5-0 home win. Maguire, Grigg 2, Mcgeady and Dobson.

Bolton <doh> was a timely reminder that a change in circumstances can have an effect, and it worked against us, we need to make sure it does not happen at the SOL tomorrow. <ok>

Bank of England 2 likes this.
  19. Sheep Farmer

Sheep Farmer Well-Known Member

Certainly expect the fans to be a bit more upbeat - hopefully we don't have any defensive messes to spoil it(or at least not before we're 3 goals up)

20. Bank of England 2

Bank of England 2 Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the game tomorrow.

Crowd will be in a buoyant mood. Think with our new style of play, we'll have loads of possession, and once we get the first, the flood gates will open, Their confidence levels will be very low to begin with. Need to play with a quick tempo and put them on the back foot early doors. I'm going 4-1 Maguire (2), O'Nein and McNulty.

Gil T Azell and smithy in nl like this.