1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Portsmouth - Saturday 24th October - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 22, 2020.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Oct 25, 2020.
  1. Home win

52.4%
  2. Away win

14.3%
  3. Draw

33.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Portsmouth at the Stadium of Light in the Skybet League One.
    SAFCvPFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Crewe and Portsmouth beat Gillingham.
    Sunderland remain unbeaten in League One after a 1-0 win against Crewe, 2 points behind second placed Ipswich with a game in hand.
    Flanagan and Hume both featured in Tuesday’s home game against Crewe, Jordan Willis and Dion Sanderson have trained this week and could be in contention, but new signing Callum McFadzean will need to prove his fitness and is unlikely to be in the matchday squad.
    Pompey sit in 8th position on 11 points and are in good form having won their last 3 away games. Jackett's side are one of four teams still with an unbeaten away record in the league this season, earning seven points from a possible nine on their travels to Rochdale, Burton Albion and Gillingham, with this Saturday presenting their toughest away challenge on paper to date.
    Former Coventry striker Jordy Hiwula is currently training with the Blues and has already passed his medical, and he could be involved in this Saturday’s game. John Marquis is currently Pompey’s only fit senior striker, with Ellis Harrison sidelined with a hamstring injury.
    Phil Parkinson:
    “‘We just felt that with Dion, he's only just arrived at the club, so we felt that he just needs a bit more training time.”
    “Jordan had that kick on the foot at Swindon but thankfully it's settled right down and he should play some part in training on Wednesday, which is great news for us.”
    ‘Tom Flanagan's had a scan on his ankle and it was obviously better than we'd expected.”
    “It's a long, hard season and you have games where you don't score as many as you like, and you have to manage them to be successful."
    “We firmly believe in keeping clean sheets first and foremost, and we've got a group who really buy into that."
    “You can't win every game comfortably and sometimes it's about seeing it through.”

Kenny Jackett:
    “No problems. The only injury we have at the moment is Ellis Harrison.”
    "We’ll be going to the Stadium of Light with the same squad that was at Gillingham on Tuesday plus new signing Jordy Hiwula, who we have taken on a short term contract.”

He is somebody I have seen right from his Manchester City days when he started as a young lad. He is 26 now and he is a free agent who is looking for a club. I see him as a forward player. At times, he does get pushed wide but I see him as a forward player who can bring some pace to your attack.”
    Form.GIF
    Prutton predicts:
    meh
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    ROBERT LEWIS
    Assistant Referees: Wayne Grunnill and Kevin Mulraine
    Fourth Official: James Oldham

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge, O’Nien, McLaughlan, Wright, Flanagan, Hume, Power, Leadbitter, Scowen, Maguire, Wyke.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Matthews, Sanderson, Dobson, Diamond, Graham, Gooch, Grigg
    Injured: McGeady, Feeney, Xhemajli
    Doubtful: Embleton, Wilis

Portsmouth: MacGillivray, Johnson, Whatmough, Raggett, Brown, Naylor, Williams, Harness, Cannon, Jacobs, Marquis.
    Subs: Close, Curtis, Nicolaisen, Morris, Pring, Bass, Hiwula
    Injured: Harrison

Betting Odds:
    Home
    21/20 Away 12/5 Draw 23/10

My two pence:
    Putting this one out a bit earlier – before any press conferences…
    After a really good performance in mid-week, I’m hoping that we keep our winning run going. We really should have scored more goals and on another day could easily have won 4-0.
    I’ll be happy if we keep another clean sheet against Pompey so I’m going for another 1-0 home win.

Live stream £10
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

Quality post, as usual thanks...

Keeping clean sheets, which is great, means we only have to nick somehow 1 goal to get the 3 points... long may this continue... at some point we may to have to score more than one goal...cannot rely on Pens and Own goals to bail us out.

Burge had not really been tested yet as defensive set is snuffing put chances. Burge could be the weak link...

I fancy those likely to score as Maguire, Gooch, Power, Hume... or a CB at a set piece.

1-0 Maguire

RTB likes this.
  3. Whittylad

Whittylad Well-Known Member

Not scoring enough and can’t keep relying on clean sheets. Draw for me unfortunately.

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  4. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

hardest test yet?..i think so, bit of a 'bogey team' as never an easy game against them, probs be a real test for burge...all i keep reading in various reports is 'growing in confidence after keeping another clean sheet', still got a bit to do to convince me i'm afraid as we still have to face a good attacking team, his comical coming to claim the ball then bouncing off the other players and missing the ball completely shows me he still has that mistake in him.

also, while i am constantly full of praise for the way onien has handled his changed position, again he has not had a lot of pressure on him as can happen in defence, although i am more confident that he will handle it better.

either way, big test for our defence, if they manage another clean sheet i may even start to believe ;)

cheers RTB.

RTB, Royaldragon and clockstander like this.
  5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual RTB and you are probably right with the team PP will pick, but Gooch had a great game mid-week, O/9 in Power's position for me, and Gooch in the wing back role, as for Wyke I just dont know where to start. <laugh>

RTB likes this.
  6. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

7. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

I watched the Crewe replay and Power just looked like he didn't quite fit into the team. Hopefully Parky won't shoehorn him into the lineup on Saturday.

RTB and clockstander like this.
  8. clockstander

He will, its the one thing we can depend on with PP., looking good in training is everything, 90 minutes of tripe is ignored, if your face fits.

RTB likes this.
  9. Hefty fullback

Hefty fullback Well-Known Member

That dummy give and go was brilliant - too bad no one anticipated the goalie's deflection. Mostly Power looked like a player who knew where he needed to be, but just couldn't quite get there.

Glencoe, RTB and clockstander like this.
  10. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Well-Known Member

Pompey have just signed that Hiwula on a free who played for Coventry a few years ago. No doubt he will be playing and will cause us endless problems like he did for Cov a few years ago. Exactly the sort of player we should have been in for.

11. old lads fan

old lads fan Well-Known Member

Great post as usual RTB, another win I think but it'll probably be tight. Get the clean sheet first and hopefully bag a goal or 2.
    Ha'Way The Lads
    FTM

RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  12. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

HA'WAY THE LADS

MACKEMS ATTACKEM

Looking forward to this.
    Usually we get so far then get knocked back.
    Really hoping for a solid performance here and a win.
    Keep the momentum going and cement us as proper title contenders.

Cooooomon.

Robertson, Smug in Boots, RTB and 3 others like this.
  13. smithy in nl

smithy in nl Well-Known Member

I’m not really worried about them this season we’re on a roll **** pompey.

14. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

gone for a draw we have the team to beat them but our strikers;) are incapable of scoring goals in open play.Hope one of our strikers can step up to the plate, because if not i can see the natives starting to get restless...........:emoticon-0131-angel

Gil T Azell and RTB like this.
  15. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

As usual RTB, great thread mate. I'm expecting Gooch to keep his place in the starting line up, at the expense of who? Goodness knows!

I'm going for a 3-1 home win :emoticon-0165-muscl

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Probably Scowen.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  17. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Any win will do... Ha'way the lads..
    PS.. Always good to get one of over on those bunch of knobsacks.

LAMackem, RTB, smithy in nl and 2 others like this.
  18. Julio

Julio Well-Known Member

Like with Maddison at Charlton he will be way short of match fitness

19. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

hope your right mate we need the win

RTB, Julio and clockstander like this.
  20. clockstander

Defo., we owe them, but they are hitting a bit of form now and we will have to watch Marquis, a win by any margin will do, but it will be tight, making hard work of it is our MO.

RTB, MrRAWhite and Makemstine Roger like this.