1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Pompey - Play-Offs Semi Final 1st Leg

Discussion in 'Portsmouth' started by Wooperts_duck, May 6, 2019.

1. Wooperts_duck

Wooperts_duck Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

please log in to view this image

2. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Last time out Sunderland lost at Southend and Portsmouth drew with Accrington
    This two-legged affair will be the fourth and fifth times the Black Cats have met Pompey this year, with the pair having already faced-off twice in the regular season alongside their meeting at Wembley in the Checkatrade Trophy final. Sunderland have failed to win any of those meetings, leaving Pompey fans and some players with the belief that their side have a big psychological advantage ahead of the first clash between the duo on Saturday.
    Sunderland can still get to that Wembley final and still be promoted, all they have to do is turn up on Saturday night and give their best possible chance of going into that second game at Fratton Park with a big advantage.
    Jack Ross:
    “It was a reality check for some of us, individually and as a team, and a reminder of the levels we need to be at. We haven’t dipped below them all that often this season but today we were well below them and we were beaten by a hungrier team."
    "We have not gone into the play-offs on the back of a positive feeling because our performance at Southend was a long way short. We didn’t play well, not by a long stretch. It was a reality check for some of us, individually and as a team, and a reminder of the levels we need to be at."
    "You are always judged on the end result, and in the last few games we have either drawn them or lost them. The performance has been ok so that has been a bit more positive, but when the two go hand-in-hand (poor performance and poor result) I can be a lot more critical.”
    Kenny Jackett:
    "In terms of our game, I do think we’ve gone off our responsibilities a little bit. The lines have been blurred between who’s doing what and we have to get back to that."
    "I do think our full-backs have been high and wide and we’ve been open. Matt Clarke coming out as well has meant two of our back four have been up and around their box on a regular basis. If we’re doing all that and keeping clean sheets I’m fine, but we’re not."
    ‘It has to swing towards making sure our defenders can defend and keep clean sheets, our midfielders can compete and the ball runs through them, and then the front three get a good service to score and provide assists."

Betting Odds:
    Home
    23/20 Away 9/4 Draw 23/10

** Credit given to RTB from the Sunderland site for the above matchday thread which I have "pinched" !! **

Gordon Armstrong and RTB like this.
  3. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

Good luck lads and lasses, hope you beat the six-fingered mackems over the two legs. The horrible bastards have written some fairly nasty stuff about your supporters over the course of the season. I'm sure you've been left feeling somewhat bemused at their dislike of you...its hardly as if you are neighbours! You will have most of Tyneside cheering you on against the mackems! Feel free to comment on the Warm Glow thread on the Newcastle forum, you will be given a very warm welcome!

Sharpe* and Judge Death like this.
  4. Sidthemackem

Sidthemackem Newcastle United 0-1 Cambridge United
    Staff Member

Ignore dogbreath, as he's talking ****e as usual. Any friction is largely down to the lobbing of flares in our general direction, which is unsurprising if you're honest. It's going to be a tough pair of games and may the best team lose (i.e. you - the table doesn't lie) with the winner going on to promotion and a regular twatting in the Championship. See you there!

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  5. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

Some of the Sunderland fans I've come accross on Twitter have been pretty obnoxious, but I think maybe most people are obnoxious on Twitter... But you're right that whoever gets promoted will end up being relegation fodder next season (especially if it's us)... Is it better to be winning a lot of the time in League 1, or relegation fodder in the Championship? If it was the Premier League, I would say give me winning a lot over being relegation fodder, but at least in the Championship there is something to aim for... I have mostly enjoyed the last four or so seasons... But it would be nice to play some of the big boys occasionally, bigger away crowds at Fratton Park and easier to get tickets for away games due to bigger stadia...

Sidthemackem likes this.
  6. monty987

monty987 Well-Known Member

As long as the mags keep away from our stadium on Saturday there will be no trouble, and maybe it is better the 2nd leg is away for that reason unlike 1987 the roker end fiasco, we should be secure in the championship due to our support/finance anyhow. As for tickets to our match you should have been banned after the flare throw, i saw it and could have been serious.

7. Gordon Armstrong

Gordon Armstrong Just another S.A.F.C. fan
    Forum Moderator

Just as Sid suggests that you ignore the idiotic, trouble making, arsehole that is Dogbreath, you should always take what Monty says with a pinch of salt . . . . he's harmless and largely misguided :emoticon-0105-wink:

Saf and Wooperts_duck like this.
  8. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Play-Off Preview: Sunderland v Pompey.

There will be a feeling of déjà vu for many Pompey fans, as they prepare to make the long trip north to Sunderland.

It was just two weeks ago that the sides played out a 1-1 draw at the Stadium of Light, with Jamal Lowe cancelling out Tom Flanagan’s opener.

Now the Blues are heading back to the north-east for the first leg of the play-offs (7.30pm kick-off), with a spot at Wembley up for grabs.

The two sides have already been to the national stadium this season, of course, with Kenny Jackett’s side emerging triumphant from a penalty shoot-out in the Checkatrade Trophy final.

And Pompey also came out on top in a league meeting at Fratton Park just before Christmas, as Gareth Evans, Ronan Curtis and Ben Thompson all scored in a 3-1 win.

There will be a slight feeling of frustration in both camps about missing out on automatic promotion to the Championship.

They are only facing off at this stage because a late goal for Charlton in their final day rout of Rochdale saw them snatch third spot from the Blues on goal difference.

The Fratton faithful are looking for their side to secure Championship football for the first time since 2012.

But the Black Cats are aiming for an instant return, having suffered a second successive relegation after finishing rock bottom last term.

TEAM NEWS
    Pompey are close to having a fully-fit squad to choose from, with Dion Donohue (groin) and Jack Whatmough (knee) the only absentees.

Sunderland have no major injury concerns, with Aiden McGeady returning to training after recovering from a broken bone in his foot.

HEAD TO HEAD
    Overall

Pompey: 34 wins
    Sunderland: 37 wins
    34 draws

At Sunderland
    Pompey: 9 wins
    Sunderland: 26 wins
    17 draws

BETTING
    Sunderland are the 13/10 favourites with Sky Bet to secure a first leg victory, while the visitors can be backed at 11/5.

Gordon Armstrong likes this.
  9. SaintLapras

SaintLapras Well-Known Member

10. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

So, both Brett Pitman and Lee Brown are out injured, replaced by Anton Walkes and Gareth Evans, so not all bad news.

11. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

12. Minxy

Minxy Just Me
    Staff Member

I'm looking forward to watching this one

Good luck to all xx

Saf and Wooperts_duck like this.
  13. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Sunderland
    • 1McLaughlin
    • 13O'Nien
    • 5Ozturk
    • 12Flanagan
    • 3Oviedo
    • 27Power
    • 6Cattermole
    • 11Gooch
    • 10Honeyman
    • 17Morgan
    • 9Wyke
    Substitutes
    • 2Matthews
    • 7Maguire
    • 22Grigg
    • 23Leadbitter
    • 25Ruiter
    • 30Dunne
    • 33Hume
    McGeady ruled out through injury - they will miss him !!

14. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Cheers Minxy :emoticon-0148-yes:

15. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Ronan Curtis pushed to the ground by a Sunderland player in the penalty box as a corner about to be taken, but the ref denies us a spot kick!!!

16. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Lots of empty seats at the Stadium of Light !! Unbelievable....

17. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Lyndon Gooch avoids a yellow card for badly fouling Jamal Lowe from behind.. Jamal requires treatment...

18. devonFRATTONiser

devonFRATTONiser Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No Brett Pitman in the squad??????????????????

19. Wooperts_duck

Staff Member

Oli Hawkins shoved over in the box, but nothing given...

20. 3rd eye

3rd eye Well-Known Member

Injured. Hamstring I think.