1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Oxford – Friday 2nd April - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Mar 31, 2021.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Apr 2, 2021.
  1. Home win

84.0%
  2. Away win

1.1%
  3. Draw

14.9%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland welcome Oxford United to the Stadium of Light in the SkyBet League One.
    SAFCvOUFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Bristol Rovers and Oxford beat Lincoln.
    The Black Cats take on Oxford United on Good Friday before Easter Monday's promotion six-pointer at Peterborough.
    Sunderland could have Denver Hume back in the squad after he played 75 minutes for the U23s on Monday, and with Jordan Jones making good progress he too could be close to a return. Bailey Wright is back in training but this game may be too soon. Connor McLaughlin is back from international duty, and Tom Flanagan is around two weeks away.
    Oxford United will be looking for more points to maintain their push up the table in search of a play-off place. The U’s currently sit in eighth place in League One with 56 points from 37 games.
    Lee Johnson:
    "What you want is options when you're picking a side, especially when you have a game every three days, the players accept that.”
    "Hopefully Jordan Jones comes back for next weekend's games if he has a good week of training. That's another very good option for us whether it be in the starting eleven or on the bench."
    "We’ve got an Under-23s game on Monday against Burnley, and I’d like Denver to get some more minutes in that, then we’ll have a look and assess it, and speak to him to see how he feels about the progression back to getting first-team minutes.”

Karl Robinson:
    “Having Jamo back in the middle of the park with his experience is really important to us. I’m really proud of young Leon – people keep questioning why you do that, but this football club’s about the development of young people.”
    “I thought he made a difference when he came on. We talk about the biggest player we’re missing is Marcus McGuane because he can run and he fills that void short-term for us.”
    “This wasn’t down for three points, so it’s a good start. You know you’re going to one of the hardest away games of the season at Sunderland.”
    "If you lose this game you lose three on the spin, we’ve nipped that in the bud, we can go there for a free hit knowing on the Monday we’ve got Accrington back here.”
    "We’ve got two massive games coming up."

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    TREVOR KETTLE
    Assistant Referees: Ian Smedley and Richard Wigglesworth
    Fourth Official: Martin Coy
    Characteristics.GIF
    Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Burge; McFadzean, Sanderson, O’Nien, McLaughlin; Power, Scowen, Winchester; O’Brien, McGeady, Wyke.
    Team.gif
    Subs:
    Matthews, Hume, Leadbitter, Maguire, Diamond, Jones, Stewart
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, Wright, Flanagan, Vokins

Oxford United: (4-2-3-1) Stevens, Hanson, Moore, Atkinson, Ruffels, Brannagan, Henry, Shodipo, Sykes, Barker, Taylor.
    Subs: Eastwood, Winnall, Forde, Agyei, Grayson, Kelly, Chambers-Parillon
    Injured: McGuane, Gorrin, Hall, Long

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    10/11 Oxford 3/1 Draw 12/5

My two pence:
    After a great result on Saturday we need to make sure that we keep the focus and that winning mentality going. Two tough games ahead, but if we win them both maybe even some of the negative Not606 posters will start to believe that this is the real deal.
    I’m going for a 2-0 home win.

Live stream £10
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  2. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes: RTB

If we win all our games from now on, we go up... simple as.

Losses or draws mean more arithmetic is required to work out the impact on the chances of going up. Depending of course on other teams results.

All focus atm on Oxford who have a mini winning streak of their own going on.

We have been winning lately whilst not playing well. I suspect we will have to play well to win on Friday.

3. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

another great thread RTB ive gone for the win as it looks like they all want to perform for LJ, We have to much strength for them in all departments and too much strength on the bench to change things, the only chance they have is playing physical and dirty.as the refs in this league let loads go. However too much and a red card could be forthcoming, so if its tight we need to play clever like other teams and dive for fouls and cards, as other teams do against us, as most teams now playing against us have the mentality if you cant win the ball legit dive for it . and it normally works in this league.

4. slacksafc

slacksafc Active Member

Love these threads, particularly the "Team has no significant weaknesses".

Huge two games coming up for us, hoping for 6 points but I expect a fair few shocks for all of the top teams between now and the end of the season.

Sunderpitt, RTB and Makemstine Roger like this.
  5. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

An arse twitching 2-1.

Arlyman, sheepman and RTB like this.
  6. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

cheers again RTB...

nice looking bench that, got a bit of pace in it and a decent 'target man'. plenty options to change things if needed...not that i dont have confidence in any starting 11 now.

realistically, another wee bit of a rest between games and a couple more knocking on the door to start again we *should* have more than enough to get another win, that wont stop the nerves till the final whistle though ;)

7. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

Tough weekend ahead, will be absolutely magical if six points are acquired after the next two.

8. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

6 points is job done for me. I genuinely believe that.

9. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

Head to head. For Bristol Rovers read Oxford?
    Shoddy work sir. <laugh><laugh><laugh><laugh>

RTB likes this.
  10. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Always great to see the matchday thread, thanks again RTB for the sterling job you do. This is a huge weekend for SAFC and as Nads says above, 6 points would have us in pole position, so one game at a time, and this one has to be 3 points, probably another nail biter but I can see us doing it, 1-0 and no injuries will do me fine, then on to the next. OaU

11. rb92

rb92 Well-Known Member

3 points here and I feel like if we drop points on Monday then it won’t be the end of the world. A draw or a loss heaps huge pressure on us to get something at Peterborough.

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree we want to be right up their arse come Monday, whereby even a loss we could claw the gap back with the game in hand.

Its getting to the stage with the 3 sides being so tight and also so evenly matched that psychological side could be the thing that’s gets someone over the line.

If Posh dropped points and we won they’d be absolutely under it.

Gil T Azell, rb92 and RTB like this.
  13. KLD

KLD Well-Known Member

1-1 for me. Expecting a very tough afternoon

RTB likes this.
  14. Mick Sterbs

Mick Sterbs Well-Known Member

Again, on paper we’re too much for Oxford, only 6 points from their last 5 games against our 13 suggests a another win for the Lads.

However, it’s getting towards the business end of the season and the pressure is mounting on all the sides in the top 10 with something to play for.

Calm heads will win this one and LJ has them focused so a steady 1-0 for me. Wyke with the goal

Great thread RTB

HTL

Montysoptician and RTB like this.
  15. J Flash

J Flash Well-Known Member

Big game and a potential banana skin. Monday is massive regardless but a win here and I think it takes a little bit of pressure off on Monday for us. Going to go for 2-0, got to give our lads credit for their defensive record and I think Oxford will have more of a go than most teams at the SOL so hoping we will have some more openings than normal.

RTB likes this.
  16. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

I think we’ll win and I fancy us for 2-0 anarl!!

FTM

Bart

17. Gatesy

Gatesy Well-Known Member

3 points Friday and 1 point Monday will do me if I'm honest. Must win and must not lose in that order.

Snaggey, Gil T Azell, RTB and 2 others like this.
  18. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’d take that right now mate.

Gil T Azell, RTB and Gatesy like this.
  19. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Tough game as we’re not up to speed at home but we tend to play better when teams don’t park the bus and Oxford won’t so I’m going for a 2-0 win to us

RTB likes this.
  20. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

I'd rather take the reverse if you don't mind.

A 4-4 Good Friday draw after being 2 goals behind in injury time ...

... and a thrilling 3-0 win on Monday

<party>