1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v MK Dons - Saturday 28th September - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 27, 2019.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Sep 29, 2019.
  1. Home win

86.2%
  2. Away win

1.7%
  3. Draw

5.2%
  4. 1-1

6.9%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland v MK Dons – Skybet League One
    SAFCvMKD.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland beat Sheffield United and MK Dons lost to Liverpool in the Carabao Cup.
    The Black Cats welcome the MK Dons to the Stadium of Light on Saturday and will be looking to return to their League One campaign with a home win.
    New signings Joel Lynch and Laurens de Bock both played on Wednesday night and could be included in the squad. Duncan Watmore has been out of action with a persistent thigh problem since the opening day of the season, when he was used as a second-half substitute against Oxford United, and the 25-year-old is set to resume full training next week.
    The Dons are back to reality this weekend as they travel to Sunderland, looking to get back on the winning path in Sky Bet League One. Paul Tisdale hopes that they can use the Liverpool experience to benefit them this time.
    Jack Ross:
    “It’s not easy to go to a Premier League team and win, but to do that twice shows that we do things right, and we have good players and good staff at this club.”
    “When you’re asking people to believe in you and buy into what you do you need tangible rewards, and when you get a result like last night it’s an obvious reward.”
    “It was a good night for us, but always in football that sense of enjoyment only lasts a small period of time, and our preparations now begin for Saturday.”
    “We’ve got a number of players who couldn’t travel to the game last night, some of them trained today, some of them didn’t. We’ve not got a full squad, and we’ll have to assess the ones who played last night and how they recover. We’ll not really be able to do that properly until tomorrow morning, then we’ll go from there in terms of our selection.
    “Subject to them recovering from the game in time, they’re very much now a part of the first team squad.”
    “They were a part of the squad anyway, but in terms of being available for selection they were playing catch-up all of the time. They’re now getting there in terms of training - Joel’s had four weeks and Laurens three - and they’ve had some behind-closed-doors friendlies and a tough outing last night."
    “They’ve (MK Dons) made a solid start to their return to this level, and we know how teams respond to coming here and playing in this environment, so it’s up to us to bring a similar type of performance to what we brought last night.”
    Paul Tisdale:
    “A League One game is a very different sport to what we played tonight, but if we’ve learnt one thing, it’s that we’ve got some good players who I believe will work their way up through the leagues themselves.”
    “At times we had a real clarity to our game, and it’s amazing how much you can have an impact on the other team, regardless of their level. We managed to do it at times tonight and that bodes well.”
    “We are going to a great stadium to play a good side. The wheels are turning at Sunderland, we should be conscious of that, but we need to understand what we can do and in what way we can do that and play to our strengths."
    Prutton predicts: Meh

Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    PAUL MARSDEN
    Assistants: Wayne Grunnill and Geoffrey Liddle
    Fourth Official: Samuel Barrott
    Form.GIF
    Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    J.McLaughlin, O’Nien, Ozturk, Willis, Hume, Power, Dobson, Gooch, McGeady, Maguire, McNulty
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Burge, Flanagan, De Bock, Lynch, Leadbitter, McGeouch, Wyke
    Injured: Watmore, Embleton

MK Dons Moore, Williams, Poole, Walsh, Brittain, Kasumu, McGrandles, Gilbey, Dickenson, Bowery, Nombe
    Subs: Nicholls, Lewington, Agard, Martin, Houghton, Boateng, Harley
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Home
    4/6 Away 18/5 Draw 14/5

My two pence:
    After a great win and a good battling performance against the Blades, it’s back to the more important business of getting out of this league. The added bonus of keeping a much sought after clean sheet will give Jack Ross plenty to think about as he re-shuffles his first team squad.

My guess is a 3-1 home win

Welcome to all the newbies <cheers>

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
  2. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Once again 2-0 to the lads and that all important clean sheet.
    I've got to be right eventually.

RTB and smithy in nl like this.
  3. O'conner flood

O'conner flood Well-Known Member

3-0 grigg hat trick

LAMackem and RTB like this.
  4. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Excellent thread as usual mate.

These games have become incredibly difficult to predict, the team selection and formation are often a surprise and we start slowly even if we score.

A goal start sometimes seems to be a curse rather than a blessing.

A win is to be expected though so a defeat, and a poor performance, would really put some pressure on Jack Ross.

Sod it, 3-0 to Sunderland, Haway the Lads!!!

RTB, cumbrianmackem and smithy in nl like this.
  5. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

I'll be surprised if Ross picks the above starting eleven, but the bench looks very strong, so any weaknesses should be quickly addressed, and the formation altered, if JR is in his new track suit mode, he will do . Some on the bench might even start the game, who knows, its only a matter of time imo. should win by a distance and automatics here we come. OaU

PS have we cloned a Dobson <laugh>

smithy in nl, RTB and Nig like this.
  6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Team looks ok
    Swap Dobson on the bench for Grigg
    Cause Dobson is already down in the team

RTB likes this.
  7. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

I don't think I saw all of it but MK Dons looked good against Liverpool, just lacking a bit of quality upfront that we had with Power. I'm expecting a tough game.

Any major news official or otherwise about the takeover before kick off will produce a party atmosphere so regardless of the result I'm looking forward to a buzzing stadium. I do think we'll win though.

smithy in nl and RTB like this.
  8. clockstander

I would like to see the two full backs in that team moved forward into midfield with Power and McGouch playing De Brock and McLaughlin at full back they were both solid against Sheffield, and Hume and O/9 will bring pace and energy further forward, its a gamble but our last home game was very poor and a change is needed, its going to come sooner or later though, injuries permitting, so not too worried. I also noticed that McGeouch is not in the above ranks, as for Grigg no thanks.. <ok>

RTB likes this.
  9. Nig

Nig Well-Known Member

There's a growing crowd building against Ross but i still think we will get a lot better under him .

Hopefully its already started against Sheffield.

4 - 0

HA'WAY THE LADS
    MACKEMS ATTACKEM

Smug in Boots, clockstander and RTB like this.
  10. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Yeh maybe any change or changes could be welcome
    Cause I don’t think Ross knows anyway

clockstander likes this.

11. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Oops - well spotted <whistle>

clockstander and Smug in Boots like this.
  12. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

Think there will be one or two surprise inclusions to the starting 11 tomorrow, particularly between the sticks, but we'll see.

I can only see a confident home win for the lads, so am going 3-0.

13. clockstander

I saw some of the highlights and they looked big, quick and a threat, but we are starting to have options, its just how quickly Ross can gel what he has into an outfit, fit for purpose, and the purpose is to win. This league is a scrap heap, full of scrappers, and I.don't want any party atmosphere's until the final whistle, and I want it to be SAFC partying. <cheers>

RTB, Nacho and Dorset like this.
  14. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Great post as usual RTB. To me when you win away at Burnley and Sheffield United yet struggle against Bolton and Rotherham it's all down to attitude. We clearly have the potential to go quite some way with our current squad. Is it the players fault or management for the attitude....probably both but we need to rectify it quickly as points dropped against team like Bolton can come back to bite us in the arse at the end of the season. Tomorrow going for a 4 - 0 win....this team has to have a break out game soon. Onward and upwards....haway the lads!

Makemstine Roger and RTB like this.
  15. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

3-0

Bart

16. Rhinos Legend

Rhinos Legend Well-Known Member

Home win 2-1

17. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

What's your thoughts on that do you reckon Burge might be a better keeper? McLaughlin is a great shot stopper and that was a relief after inexplicably having multiple keepers that couldn't save a damn thing but he's not the complete package, his distribution is either inaccurate or too slow.

18. clockstander

Tough call on either keeper if hes on the bench, but I would only make one change to the defence that stood firm at Sheffield and that would be Either Ozzy or even Willis for Flanagan. On the keeper front its good news that we have two guduns and this could make the international breaks less damaging in future.

Dorset, Main Stand Roker Wing and RTB like this.
  19. blackcatforever

blackcatforever Well-Known Member

Finger's crossed 4-1 to the lad's,
    two now't up at half time will put a grin on me old mush.
    We have to play hard from the off.ktf.ftm.

20. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

It's not April is it?