1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Bristol Rovers - Saturday 15th December - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Dec 13, 2018.

?

Your prediction

Poll closed Dec 15, 2018.
  1. Home win

85.7%
  2. Away win

9.5%
  3. Draw

4.8%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Bristol Rovers in League One
    SAFCvBRFC.GIF
    Last time out Sunderland lost to Walsall in the FA Cup and Rovers lost at home to Doncaster.
    Jack Ross hopes to have Lynden Gooch & Aiden McGeady back in contention at the weekend. Gooch has netted six times this season and laid on a further eight assists, while McGeady has scored six and assisted four.
    Speaking to the Sunderland Echo after the game, Black Cats boss Ross said: "Both were muscle injuries from the weekend," he said. "I wanted to win the game, I won't say I didn't and that going out of the cup is irrelevant to me.”
    Bristol Rovers announced that they have sacked their manager today after 4 and a half years in charge of the Gas. Coach Graham Coughlan will take interim charge for Saturday's game at Sunderland, but assistant manager Marcus Stewart has left by mutual consent.
    The struggling Rovers have lost their last six league games and have scored the second fewest goals in League One this season with just 17. (only AFC Wimbledon have scored less with 15)
    Jack Ross:
    "Chris Maguire has trained today and should be okay. Lee Cattermole has trained a couple of days this week, so all being well he will be back in the squad for the Walsall game, as he’s obviously been out for about a month now. I’m really pleased with how he’s looked in training, and he feels good as well.”
    “Tuesday was Duncan’s first game back, so we’re getting there, but we still have Ethan Robson, Donald Love and Denver Hume out. We’re probably getting close to being the healthiest we have all season.”
    “I think we’ve already seen that irrespective of the opposition's league position, when they’ve came to the Stadium of Light they’ve always reacted to playing in that environment and how they view that game.”
    “I would imagine that the challenge we’ll face on Saturday will be equally as tough as it’s been in every home game, but for us, on the back of one of our most disappointing performances of the season, it’s nice to be at home again.”
    “With the crowd that will be in attendance and with that different atmosphere.
    We’ve not really had to bounce back very often this season because of how the season has gone, but when we’ve had to, we’ve done it well.”
    “So, I would expect the same again from the players, that faith and trust in them hasn’t diminished in any respect from the other night.”
    Darrell Clarke:
    "After much soul searching and lengthy deliberations it has been mutually agreed that it is probably in the best interests of the club and of Darrell Clarke to seek a fresh way forward."
    "Darrell leaves the club with immediate effect and on amicable terms."
    "This season commenced with optimism and high expectations of a challenge for the play-off places, but results and performances have been disappointing." the club added.

Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    THOMAS BRAMALL
    Assistants: Barry Cropp and Alan Clayton
    Fourth Official: Robert Atkin

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    McLaughlin, Matthews, Flanagan, Baldwin, James, Cattermole, Honeyman (c), Power, Gooch, McGeady, Maja
    Capture.GIF
    Subs: Ruiter, Oviedo, Maguire, Ozturk, O’Nien, Watmore, Sinclair
    Injured: Love, Hume, Robson, Wyke

Bristol Rovers: Bonham, Partington, Clarke, Lockyer, Craig, Martin, Clarke, Lines, Sercombe, Nichols, Payne
    Substitutes: Upson, Jakubiak, Reilly, Smith, Bennett, Menayese, Rodman
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    H
    8/13 A 17/4 D 11/4

My two pence:
    It’s back to the bread and butter of the league and time to kick off another winning run. With some of the first teamers rested in midweek we should be getting close to having a fully fit squad available. The forecast is for snowfall on Saturday afternoon so I just hope this one doesn’t get abandoned too.
    My guess is a 2-0 home win.

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  2. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

Excellent thread mate, seriously.

Our first vital 'must win' game imo.

The team and the crowd need to be right up for this.

I don't give a monkey's about the Bristol players dedicating the game to the old boss, interim boss or next boss ...

... we need to take control of the game and beat them 4 or 5 nil.

Haway Lads, GITAFTU!!!

3. master-simpson

master-simpson Well-Known Member

Agree it’s a must win, and we will tho I suspect it could be a nail biter!!

3-2 to the lads!!

Bart

4. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

If both Gooch and McGeady are both back then I expect a home win.
    Hope not too much expectation is put onto Watmore if he plays a part, he's been out ages and you can't expect him to become a match winner straight away.
    What he does give us is a better option off the bench than Sinclair as I'm afraid he hasn't produced when he's been called on.
    it's my first game at the SOL in quite a while so looking forward to it.

clockstander, RTB and Sunderlad like this.
  5. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Playing home to opponents who have lost 6 in a row and cannot score - used to have a predictable outcome . But this is new SAFC , so expect to put them to the sword . No mercy

smithy in nl and RTB like this.
  6. Burly Hurley

Burly Hurley Well-Known Member

This new SAFC has been a bit ropey recently mate. I think it'll be closer than we'd all like. Hope not, but....

gelders pie likes this.
  7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

That's called a reality check.
    We've done better than most thought this season but there IS room for improvement.
    Let's hope tomorrow is the start of a long winning run.

Burly Hurley likes this.
  8. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yes I tend to fancy us to win this season all things being equal but six losses in a row and sacking their manager suggests that we're likely to win.

Side note it was our former striker Marcus Stewart who left Bristol recently as assistant manager. He was pretty good for us, very reliable finisher.

gelders pie likes this.
  9. LAMackem

LAMackem Well-Known Member

Mid week was a hiccup or bump in the road that most teams will always have no matter how good......3 - 0....to the lads.....no prisoners taken and a statement we are not to be f*cked with....performance.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  10. MackemInTheMiddle

MackemInTheMiddle Well-Known Member

Great thread as usual RTB, keep up the good work. Back to winning ways for me today 2 - 0. Need to be a slightly higher tempo than we have been the last few, got to at least match the oppo for effort and make our passing game be the difference - we’ve got plenty who can put the ball away if we can make the chances. Maguire needs to get back to his best, last few he’s been way below the standard he’s set himself imho. Baldwin’s distribution needs to improve as well - been a lot of stray passes from him over the last few games that luckily have gone unpunished but it does put us under unnecessary pressure giving the ball away cheaply with some of the balls into midfield when playing it out.

11. MrRAWhite

MrRAWhite Well-Known Member

Ha'way lads.. let's have a bloody good performance with a convincing win..

LAMackem and RTB like this.
  12. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Wrap up warm... that doesn't look good.

Capture.GIF

13. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

No Flanagan, Loovens in, Catts is back.
    Maguire & Watmore on the bench.

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    Bexinio and Nacho like this.
  14. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

A last minute switch around for SAFC as Reece James is ruled out of today's game, Bryan Oviedo will start instead and Dylan McGeouch is named on the bench.

15. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Decent line up, with an option or two on the bench should see us through, its a game we need to win.

16. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Ha'Way Ha'Way Ha'Way

please log in to view this image

17. clockstander

Poor organisation nearly cost us from a free kick. 0=1

18. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Alex Rodman 0-1

19. clockstander