1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland v Bolton Wanderers – Saturday 25th September 2021 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Sep 23, 2021.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Sep 25, 2021.
  1. Home win

94.7%
  2. Away win

1.3%
  3. Draw

3.9%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Sunderland host Bolton in the SkyBet League One
    SAFCvBWFC.gif
    Last time out Sunderland beat Wigan and Bolton lost to Rotherham.
    Sunderland made eight changes for the tie with on-loan Everton man Nathan Broadhead scoring his first Sunderland goal in the first half and Luke O'Nien adding the second after the interval.
    The Black Cats have won 5 competitive home games in a row while the Trotters have not lost on their last 4 visits to the Stadium of Light.
    Impressive displays from Dajaku, Pritchard, Huggins and Broadhurst in the midweek cup victory against Wigan could give Lee Johnson a selection dilemma.
    Tom Flanagan could return to the starting 11 after missing out due to suspension last weekend, whilst Corry Evans should also be back in the matchday squad.
    Arby Xhemajli and Denver Hume are back in training, but are not close to a return yet.
    Bolton have started the season well, with 12 points after 8 games and sit in tenth place in the League. Wanderers have announced that they will be cutting ties with all betting organisations and instead back charities providing support for people with gambling addictions.
    Form.GIF
    Lee Johnson:
    “We’ve seen in training what they all can do, and it's almost embarrassing that you can’t get them on the pitch at times, I wish that we could bring back five subs because you feel almost uncomfortable not being able to get them on the pitch when they're doing so well."
    "The thing is, we can only get better, we haven't peaked, nowhere near. It'll probably take until game 15 or 20 because we recruited late.”
    "What I think it has proven is that it is worth waiting for the quality, and of course that a good pre-season for the ones that were here, because they can carry the others at times."
    "I’m really proud of those players tonight.”
    Regarding Huggins injury:
    “I’m hoping that it’s just cramp. I think it was because it seems to have eased off."
    Ian Evatt:
    “That’s the whole reason why we got promoted, to have games like this, and I don’t think we’ve got that kind of mentality. We’re going there as equals and we feel that we are equals.
    “We have to have that mindset and mentality. Obviously we know that it’s a difficult place to go and a very big club with a great fanbase, but we’re exactly the same as that.
    “I think you know me well enough now to know that we don’t go anywhere to draw, and we’ll give it our best shot. I think that it’s probably the best game we could have hoped for following last Saturday.”
    “I think that it’s a game where we can go there and play with freedom, play with bravery, play with confidence and hopefully get the right result. There are no guarantees, but we’re not going there fearful whatsoever.”
    “We’re still a work in progress, we’ve still got big players waiting to return from injury, and I’m relatively pleased with where we’re at. Obviously we’re not in the top six and that’s fundamentally where we want to be, but for now it’s about building confidence.
    “We know that this month and the start of next is an extremely difficult period for us in terms of the fixtures that we’ve got, and if we’re there or thereabouts on the back of these fixtures, hopefully we’ve got some more promising ones to look forward to that’ll push us towards the top end of the league, but for now we’re focused on Sunderland on Saturday and go there with plenty of freedom and confidence and try and win.”
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    SAM PURKISS
    Assistant Referees: Richard Wigglesworth and Wayne Grunnill
    Fourth Official: Ivan Stankovic

Team Line ups
    Sunderland:
    Hoffmann; Cirkin, Doyle, Flanagan, Winchester, O’Nien, Neil, Embleton, McGeady, Stewart, Gooch.
    Team.gif
    Subs: Burge, Alves, Huggins, Evans, Pritchard, Broadhead, Dajaku.
    Injured: Xhemajli, Willis, Hume.

Bolton Wanderers:Dixon, Jones, Almeida Santos, Johnston, Gordon, Williams, Sheehan, Isgrove, Sarcevic, Afolayan, Doyle.
    Subs:Gilks, Delfouneso, Aimson, Lee, Kachunga, Thomason, Baptiste.
    Injured: Tutte, John, Brockbank, Bakajoko

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    3/4 Bolton 16/5 Draw 29/10

My two pence:
    A good performance and a great result away to Wigan could lead to a few changes to the starting eleven. I’m not complaining about getting QPR away as it’s fairly close for me and could be another chance to see the lads live.
    Bolton have started well and are playing some decent football, but then again so are we and we have lots of options from the bench.
    I’m going for a 3-1 home win.

Live Stream (for overseas fans)
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
  2. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

another cracking thread RTB i am getting to the stage where i expect a win every game with this team, and even if injuries occur we have the strongest bench in the division

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  3. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Marvelous as usual. I'm going for Evans and Onien in midfield and Neil to get a rest. Also going for Pritchard to come in for Gooch with Embo out wide.

Confident of a win, 3-1. Stewart, Onien and Geads.

4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Team looks great as it is. I wonder how it would look with Broadhead and Dajaku in for Gooch and McGeady.

5. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

I think LJ will start with the usual lineup then bring on a bit of pace towards the end - either Dajaku, Broadhead or even Huggins - if he has recovered from his knock.

6. Makemstine Roger

Prichard had a great write up after his game so would like to see him start, we could try him in Goochys place

7. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Yeah - Pritchard had a good game, we are spoilt for choice really.

8. Makemstine Roger

i would seriously consider giving Onine a rest due to his shoulder injury and give Dajaku or Evans a try

Oldsandy, Robertson and RTB like this.
  9. Smug in Boots

Smug in Boots Well-Known Member

At long last the football is reaching the level of these threads <laugh>

10. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

He's still playing really well, I would keep him in there. Gooch and McGeady need to play well or get subbed.

11. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

Another great thread. Thanks, RTB.

I've noticed LJ is explaining again about recruiting late and how it was worth the wait. He's done that a few times, now. I'd say he's (rightfully) a bit narked with our supporters that were being impatient and grumpy through the transfer window over our lack of signings. Good on him, imo.

It's great the competition we have for places. It'll be interesting to see how the RB position pans out between Winchester and Huggins. I agree with the general consensus about McGeady and Gooch. They have 1 assist each and no goals from open play. They're in them positions to create chances and to chip in with goals which isn't happening. Neither could have any complaints if and when they are replaced. If Evans is fit then he has to start for me, even if he takes 09's place. He should do because he's the best DM at the club.

2-1 Sunderland

12. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to this one. 3-0 home win, Ross Stewart brace.

Makemstine Roger, RTB and The Berk like this.
  13. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Strangely our record against these is poor, even when they struggled to get a team on the pitch we failed to beat them that season.
    They are scoring goals and as their manager has alluded this is a free hit for them so they've got no pressure however having said all that I expect us to win but it's not going to be easy.
    Don't forget we haven't really won comfortably so far this season and I can't see us doing so here so will take a scruffy three points.

14. ned_werby

ned_werby Well-Known Member

4th official - Ivan Stankovic. Wonder if that's the ex-Serb footballer?

Robertson and RTB like this.
  15. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

<applause> RTB

As you say the performances on Tuesday have given LJ some food for thought re selection. This is great cos competition for places leads to improved performances.

So I will not try and second guess the starting 11, just watch on with interest.

clockstander and RTB like this.
  16. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

If there are any streams out there fir this one, please let me know. Absolutely gutted I can’t go and think it’s bullshit that the league re-imposed the “no matches at 3pm” rule.

Robertson and RTB like this.
  17. Comfy

Comfy Well-Known Member

Struggled with a late equaliser wasn't it, think after playing their kids and getting hammered off everyone at the start of the season we played them the week after their transfer ban was up and had been bought out. Think they signed a team of experienced players for their 1st game against us, no one else battered them that season from then on, just not good enough to stay up

18. Sunderlad

Sunderlad Well-Known Member

Excellent as always @RTB - Having a 4-1 win for the Lads. Scorers (Stewart x2, Embo and Dajuku)

RTB likes this.
  19. Oliver's Army

Cirkin only at 15-20% of his potential :emoticon-0104-surpr:emoticon-0103-cool:.....

20. Oliver's Army

Couple of good preview podcasts with a Bolton journo and one from their fanzine lad. They are set up as a very attacking team to score goals but don't keep it tight at the back and give teams chances. Sounds like we are in for a few goals. Worth listening to.

Roker Report https://aca.st/306972

What the Falk https://aca.st/1b06d0

The Norton Cat and RTB like this.