1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Sunderland AFC v Wigan Athletic FC – Saturday 15th October 2022 - KO 15:00

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by RTB, Oct 12, 2022.

?

Your prediction:

Poll closed Oct 15, 2022.
  1. Home win

58.3%
  2. Away win

18.3%
  3. Draw

23.3%
  1. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

SAFCvWAFC.GIF
    Sunderland welcome Wigan Athletic to the Stadium of Light in the Championship.
    Last time out Sunderland lost at Swansea and Wigan beat Blackburn.
    Tony Mowbray will be looking to bounce back from the defeat at Swansea after a run of three draws and a defeat have seen the Black Cats slip to 13th in the table.
    Captain Corry Evans is unavailable after accumulating 5 yellow cards since the start of the season.
    Wigan moved up to 9th place with a home win over local rivals Blackburn, Nathan Broadhead tapped in the winner. Charlie Wyke, Max Power and James McClean are all expected to feature in the Wigan squad. Ashley Fletcher is out of favour and Jordan Jones is currently on loan at Kilmarnock.
    Charlie Wyke scored his first goal after returning from heart surgery last weekend and will be keen to mark his return to the Stadium of Light with a goal.
    Tony Mowbray:
    "I've just said to the players, I don't think anybody is out there expecting them to go out there and win every away game and be like a top, top, team in the league. They've come from League One and as long as they believe that they are in there fighting against every team, and they are not outclassed, that's the important thing. We always feel we can get a result and we nearly did today, of sorts.”
    "Particularly when you look at the second goal - it was a very simplistic set-play. I must say, though, that I think Swansea are a good team, a very well-coached team with good players and it is no accident that they've won five out of six."
    "It doesn't help because that's where we had to be really aggressive today, in that central area - maybe that's why they picked up the yellow cards. Swansea do play through the midfield, they do play this box in midfield, and they do try to overload you with the extra men.”
    “Ellis has come through the treadmill work fine, and he’s been getting his boots on today which is of course a good sign, We’re hoping he’s not too far away now. So far with his rehabilitation from an injury in a painful area, he’s made it through very well.”
    Leam Richardson:
    "I think all the credit tonight has to go to all the players and the staff for that performance, I don't think anyone should listen to rumours or anything else, other than how hard the lads worked.
    "Jack Whatmough was man of the match, Nathan Broadhead scored the goal, and Wigan Athletic won the game...that's all that matters."
    When asked whether the situation would distract his attention from his duties at Wigan, Richardson replied: "You know me as a person, what do you think? Thank you very much."
    Form.GIF
    Match Appointments:
    Referee:
    KEITH STROUD
    Assistant Referees: Ian Cooper and Sam Lewis
    Fourth Official: Scott Oldham

Team Lineups:
    Sunderland AFC:
    (3-5-2) Patterson, Alese, O'Nien, Batth, Neil, Michut, Cirkin, Gooch, Pritchard, Clarke, Roberts
    Team.GIF
    Subs: Bass, Wright, Matete, Embleton, Omad, Ba, Bennette
    Injured: Huggins, Ballard, Stewart

Wigan (4-3-3) Amos; Darikwa, Kerr, Whatmough, Bennett; McClean, Power, Shinnie; Keane, Broadhead, Wyke.
    Subs: Tickle, Tilt, Aasgaard, Naylor, Skully, Magennis, Fletcher.
    Injured: tbc

Betting Odds:
    Sunderland
    1/1 Wigan 11/4 Draw 12/5

Prutton Predicts: 0-1

My two pence:
    A disappointing result at Swansea conceding two sloppy goals and we never really got going in the first half. We got back into it in the second half but not quite enough to rescue a point.
    Wigan and Blackburn looked pretty poor to me in midweek but with all of those ex-Sunderland lads in the Wigan team it could get a bit feisty however I think that will work in our favour with the crowd getting behind the lads.
    I’m going for a 2-0 home win.

There will be a flag display for this game and supporters are requested to be in their seats by 14:45

Live Stream:
    https://www.safc.com/news/team-news/live-video

Ha’way the Lads

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
  2. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

From listening to the radio, They don’t seem to think Cirkin will play. Think he’ll be brought back gradually. If we’re going with a back 3, he’d be on the left of that for me. Been his position all season.

3. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

Think TM is finding it hard to find a solution to not having a CF which is understandable so might shuffle his midfield not only cos Evans is banned but to play to our strengths as these will sit in and look to counter attack.
    Going to be difficult (aren't they all in this league) but feel we've enough to win a tight affair.HTL.

4. Chunksafc

Chunksafc Guest

Great thread as usual @RTB

I'd swap Alese and Cirkin around but the rest looks good. Still not convinced the system suits Pritchard and can see a case for him dropping to the bench.

Really looking forward to this one

FellTop and Makemstine Roger like this.
  5. RedNWhite4Life

RedNWhite4Life Well-Known Member

Would personally love to see Cirkin as LWB with Alese as Left centre back the amount of times Alese gets forward overlapping I think him and Cirkin could cause mayhem while also being a solid defensive duo.

Pritchard drops out for me I'd play Clarke in his role and stick Dajaku upfront. I'm not sure he is the answer but he will run in behind and stretch the opposition all our other forwards want the ball into feet.

Hoping we get an early goal think it may take a set piece or a 25 yarder to get it started but if we get 1 I think we will get 3 or 4.

6. Vincemac

Vincemac Well-Known Member

Great thread mate

7. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this one, should be a tasty atmosphere with all the ex players coming back, just hope McClean doesn't become the main part of it which he will love.

I'll go for a 2-1 win.

8. Oliver's Army

Oliver's Army Well-Known Member

9. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Don’t fancy us at all but we could really do with a win here. Let’s see what happens… I hope he freshens things up and has some pace starting up top.

JammySAFC and Hudson92 like this.
  10. Lozza80

Lozza80 Well-Known Member

Massive boost having Simms back ,even if he just makes the bench

Makemstine Roger likes this.

11. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Assuming no pain in his toe. then Simms goes back into the team for me. Even if he can only do 60 mins

Patterson
    O'Nien Batth Cirkin
    Gooch Ba Pritchard Neil Alese
    Simms Amed​

12. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Drop Clarke and Robert’s?

FellTop likes this.
  13. Lozza80

Lozza80 Well-Known Member

Clarke 9 goal contributions dropped really ??

14. samwise_new

samwise_new Well-Known Member

no comment, too many ex safc players.

meh!!

15. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah Simms should go back in as long as he's not in pain, as far as I understand it there's no need to ease him back in. Hell he should play even if the pain is still slightly there we need him.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  16. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Oops

17. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

CIRKIN TO RETURN?

As matchday gets closer so does Dennis Cirkin from returning from injury and as Tony Mowbray gives us a few hints at his team selection it looks likely Cirkin could be back in action.

PHYSICALITY
    "Physicality is really important. It's not something that I want to sit here and talk too much about, but the opposition watch you and they see, it is a frustration for us."

STRIKERS
    "We talk about Ross Stewart and Ellis Simms and the goals that we're missing, but they are also massive for us in own box and defending all these set plays. Eventually [it catches up with you] and we saw that at Swansea City. You can't stop the opposition putting a set play in your box so if you haven't got the means to head it away time after time, it becomes an issue."

CIRKIN
    "Dennis Cirkin, he's not 6ft 3 but he's got physicality, he's got strength, he wants to win and attack the ball. There's a fair chance that he's got some involvement coming this weekend."

RTB, Gil T Azell and Makemstine Roger like this.
  18. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

expecting a win but gone for a draw, as my predictions of late have been ****, so come on lads lets do the buis for this one

Nig and FellTop like this.
  19. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

Cheers RTB, cracking thread again.

Evans being out makes the team selection really difficult for me. He has been so vital this season. This will sound odd but it means Cirkin has to come back in if ready as we need that extra top class player on the pitch. Again, it might sound odd but Cirkin is so good on the ball I could actually see him playing in the holding positions alongside Neil. Maybe more likely he goes back into the back with an instruction to get on the ball. It leaves a conundrum as to who plays alongside Neil. I dont see him and Embo as a two. Maybe Matete is the best option for us in this game, with his engine and ability out of possession.

Where to go up front is a big puzzle isnt it. It may be best just to pick a front 3 and let them roam. Dont ask anyone to play as a centre forward as it looks too alien. Clarke, Roberts and Embleton would probably be my choice for this one. Seems odd to not have Pritchard in there but his form is a worry for me. Mind you if he starts I wouldnt be shouting the odds, he still is a quality player who can make things happen. Him or Embo probably is the choice.

Would love to see one or two make a big impact somewhere and prove me wrong. Dajaku or Diallo could both do with a shot in the arm and if either were to get a goal or an assist it would be great for us and them.

20. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

Maybe Matete is the best option for us in this game, with his engine and ability out of possession.

agree with your statement 100% Fell

Nig and FellTop like this.